Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Place Opposite Taaffes

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

jconnon wrote: »
    their going to fail,itll close;)

Wasn't talking to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 jconnon

Wasn't talking to you.
    Well I am talking to you

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Back on topic guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

jconnon wrote: »
    went there today, their eto fail,no seating and bad expensive food

there is also a sense a newness about the place and they are trying to convey a long established and famed chippers. some places pull it off well. kellys the pub down te road has a old touch to it, although it is only there a year or two.

Wasn't talking to you.

perhaps you were to me and if you had elaborated other posters would not be confused. nobody knows what you mean by 'what?'

• Advertisement

Fuinseog wrote: »
    there is also a sense a newness about the place and they are trying to convey a long established and famed chippers. some places pull it off well. kellys the pub down te road has a old touch to it, although it is only there a year or two.
    good point

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

perhaps you were to me and if you had elaborated other posters would not be confused. nobody knows what you mean by 'what?'

He quoted you, then asked "what?", if you could be so kind as to elaborate where the confusion originated from it may, in future, help us all when replying to your posts.

Just for clarity, this message is a response to Fuinseog's post (quoted above)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

its a little known fact that ten men died of hunger while waiting in the queue at harry Fitzs. their names include bobby sands and francis hughes and are remembered on a plaque on the wall of the same chipper.

Wait...

What?

Mactard wrote: »
    He quoted you, then asked "what?", if you could be so kind as to elaborate where the confusion originated from it may, in future, help us all when replying to your posts.

Just for clarity, this message is a response to Fuinseog's post (quoted above)

I refer to post no.60. some words in my post have been gone over in bold and then the all cryptic 'what'? if the poster had said a little more it would have been clear.

I refer to post no.60. some words in my post have been gone over in bold and then the all cryptic 'what'? if the poster had said a little more it would have been clear.

I highlighted the oxymoronic points in your post and asked what, I thought it was clear (it was to others) but I guess if you probably wouldn't realise they were oxymoronic to begin with. Either way quoting your post makes it pretty clear who I was talking to.

• Advertisement

I highlighted the oxymoronic points in your post and asked what, I thought it was clear (it was to others) but I guess if you probably wouldn't realise they were oxymoronic to begin with. Either way quoting your post makes it pretty clear who I was talking to.

so, have you an actual contribution to make to the thread or do you just want to belittle my contributions? in any case it matters little as it is just straying from the thread.

so, have you an actual contribution to make to the thread or do you just want to belittle my contributions? in any case it matters little as it is just straying from the thread.

What did hotdog stands have to do with the thread to begin with?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Where is the Grainstore cafe?

In the Grainstore building, of course. :p

Corner of Whitehall and Lower Abbeygate Sts.

(hoping this counts as on-topic since it's another option for getting food at night, albeit a stratospherically different type of food!)

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

Ah, the new gaff is famous alright, just not in its current incarnation.

Boards elders would know it as Conlon's. Cyril is running it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Ah right, so he does have some experience in the trade.

Pity his chips aren't vegetarian. Went in and asked yesterday and he said they're fried in beef dripping.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

kraggy wrote: »
    Ah right, so he does have some experience in the trade.

Pity his chips aren't vegetarian. Went in and asked yesterday and he said they're fried in beef dripping.

That's too bad, he'll lose a big general market to gain a few niche with the dripping.

inisboffin wrote: »
    That's too bad, he'll lose a big general market to gain a few niche with the dripping.

hows harry fitz doing, anybody been in there.Does he busy, I hope he succeeds but cant see it, beautiful shop front tho

shop street is one of the nicest streets in the country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gettinfitter

in terms of marketing its quite clever.it gives you the impression that the place has been there since the beginning of time, like of the pubs around the city try to do.
    The "Harry" is Harry of Harmack and the Fitz is Fitzgerald a Business partner I Believe , hence the name "Harry Fitz" ! Food is great

Has anyone persuaded him to use veg oil for the chips yet? I'll spread the gospel if he's changed ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Looks busy quite often when I walk past. He's got a couple of tables outside for standing customers.

Yummy chips. Pity the only crumbed fish is small bite-size things, I don't much like batter. But even the bit-size things were nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Ive made a few attempts to get on to him about the oil but there are always people outside the counter. Not been able to catch him on his own yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Sorry guys but I hope u fail at changing the oil! :p The chips are great, if its the drippings that give them that quality then please keep it Harry! Haven't tried the fish yet. Hope he last longer that previous tenants. Rent meant to be crazy in there, I heard over 2000/wk two years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I love the place. Hopefully they keep the dripping.

foto joe wrote: »
    Sorry guys but I hope u fail at changing the oil! :p The chips are great, if its the drippings that give them that quality then please keep it Harry! Haven't tried the fish yet. Hope he last longer that previous tenants. Rent meant to be crazy in there, I heard over 2000/wk two years ago.

Ya. Some friends definitely like it, but some really find the taste odd, and they're not veggies or anything. No skin ('scuse the pun) off my nose as I have plenty of chip haunts! :) I just thought it would bring in a whole new bunch of customers. I don't think it's as I regular chips would put the meaties *off*!

Just out of curiosity, do they have any signage saying the chips are not vegetarian?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

I love the place. Hopefully they keep the dripping.

I went there yesterday. hips were quality. It would never cross my mind what type of oil the chips are cooked in. I have learned from this thread that it is beef dripping which I never heard of but it won't put me off.

Yummmmy.

ErnieBert wrote: »
    I went there yesterday. hips were quality. It would never cross my mind what type of oil the chips are cooked in. I have learned from this thread that it is beef dripping which I never heard of but it won't put me off.

Yummmmy.

Jaysus! They really musn't want the veggies and pescatarians in there! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭briman1983

They have setup a facebook page here so maybe we can post some feedback for the lads involved.

Was up in galway last week and went in for a bite..... Yummeeeeee is all I can say... :D:D:D

http://www.facebook.com/HarryFitz?sk=wall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Ate there today, wasn't impressed to be honest. The onion rings were slimy, although the batter was quite nice. The chips were ok, but they were far too thick cut for my liking.

I found the staff in there a little rude, they were having a conversation while I was trying to order and kept on with the conversation as I was ordering off them.

Think I'll be sticking with McDonaghs for my fish 'n' chips fix.

Advertisement