Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't Ask Don't Tell Repealed by Senate

Options
  • 19-12-2010 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭

Thought this might be of interest to your forum:

DADT

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Fantastic news. I wonder what the ramifications of this will be for people who have been dismissed in recent times because of DADT, and still want to serve.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Good news for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

I'm pleased, and it's a victory, but I'm not ecstatic.

I guess I feel that "Yay, we finally got rights that everyone else has!" is not really worthy of that sort of celebration. Ending discrimination does not make you a saint. It gives you no bonus brownie points. It's the baseline for decent, acceptable behaviour.

It's sad that every small step toward any kind of equality is such a huge fight, and such a big deal to both sides. Especially because it then engenders the "Well, they pestered for [whatever] and got it, now they want something else, they're never happy!" school of thought.

/rant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

WOO-HOO Paint a rainbow on the side of your bomber cruising at 20,000 feet. Fire missiles from the sky at groups of people on the ground. Kill kill kill - kill all those pesky brown people.

WOO-HOO Paint a rainbow on the side of your tank and pump shells into villages full of brown people. Yeah they're innocent, but their rights don't matter, so kill them!

WOO-HOO Paint a rainbow on the side of your assault rifle. Shoot at the crowd of brown people content in the knowledge that your actions are supported by the U.S. military. Don't stop to consider that what you're doing might be wrong - hell, you fought for the right to deprive others of theirs.

WOO-HOO Paint a rainbow on the side of your coffin because you, like thousands of other Americans, were duped - duped into partaking in whatever conflict was the flavour of the day. The difference between them and you - is that you really wanted this.

WOO-HOO Paint a rainbow on your gravestone. I'm sure your parents are really pround of you now that you went and fought for the US for no real reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Donnaghm

WOO-HOO Paint a rainbow on the side of your bomber cruising at 20,000 feet. Fire missiles from the sky at groups of people on the ground. Kill kill kill - kill all those pesky brown people.

WOO-HOO Paint a rainbow on the side of your tank and pump shells into villages full of brown people. Yeah they're innocent, but their rights don't matter, so kill them!

WOO-HOO Paint a rainbow on the side of your assault rifle. Shoot at the crowd of brown people content in the knowledge that your actions are supported by the U.S. military. Don't stop to consider that what you're doing might be wrong - hell, you fought for the right to deprive others of theirs.

WOO-HOO Paint a rainbow on the side of your coffin because you, like thousands of other Americans, were duped - duped into partaking in whatever conflict was the flavour of the day. The difference between them and you - is that you really wanted this.

WOO-HOO Paint a rainbow on your gravestone. I'm sure your parents are really pround of you now that you went and fought for the US for no real reason.

My sarcastometer has just exploded.

• Advertisement

Could some one tell me why Conservative commentators think having openly gay people in the military could possibly put American combatants' lives at increased risk? They say the military will be less effective with openly gay people serving, but they don't outline why.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Donnaghm wrote: »
    Could some one tell me why Conservative commentators think having openly gay people in the military could possibly put American combatants' lives at increased risk? They say the military will be less effective with openly gay people serving, but they don't outline why.

I've heard some General remark that it's a distraction.

Beruthiel wrote: »

Ya so have I. They don't specify exactly as to how they are distractions though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Donnaghm wrote: »
    They don't specify exactly as to how they are distractions though.

All the gays will be so busy looking at the enemy's ass that they forget to shoot?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

It's bigotry of the highest order. Confront a person on such a despicable issue in their eyes and you'll get the bible and circular reasoning.

Just remembered a quote that may bare no relevance and hopefully not to detract from the thread, I shall post it.

'Predjudice usually can't survive close contact with the people who are supposed to be so despicable, which is why the propagandists for hate always preach seperation' - Patrick Califa

So it is great for the LGBT community, but there still be a few bumps in the road, but small ones I hope.

• Advertisement

All the gays will be so busy looking at the enemy's ass that they forget to shoot?

LMAO!

It's bigotry of the highest order. Confront a person on such a despicable issue in their eyes and you'll get the bible and circular reasoning.

Just remembered a quote that may bare no relevance and hopefully not to detract from the thread, I shall post it.

'Predjudice usually can't survive close contact with the people who are supposed to be so despicable, which is why the propagandists for hate always preach seperation' - Patrick Califa

So it is great for the LGBT community, but there still be a few bumps in the road, but small ones I hope.

What a fantastic quote!

Well there's a great truth in it, that when I read it, I had to write it down for future reference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Well there's a great truth in it, that when I read it, I had to write it down for future reference.

Julia Serano started off a chapter of Whipping Girl with that quote. it's absolutely brilliant and spot on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

The argument is that it's damaging to morale. Similar argument put forward as to why women aren't allowed serve as front line troops. None of us here are really in a position to contradict that as we've no perception of what military life is like.

It should be noted that homosexuals were never banned from serving in the Irish Army nor was there ever a "don't ask, don't tell policy". Despite the somewhat backwards notions of the general public, actually sees it's fair share of combat. However, the Irish army is a small professional army mainly consisting of pretty well educated soldiers.

Thats where i got it from :)

Boston wrote: »
    The argument is that it's damaging to morale. Similar argument put forward as to why women aren't allowed serve as front line troops. None of us here are really in a position to contradict that as we've no perception of what military life is like.

Many state that women getting shot in battle would cause a distraction to men who would then stop to provide assistence thus getting shot themselves. That would be most Armies excuse for keeping women from the front line. The US army might use PFC Jessica Lynch on this basis as she was kiddnapped and tortured early in the Iraq conflict.
    It should be noted that homosexuals were never banned from serving in the Irish Army nor was there ever a "don't ask, don't tell policy". Despite the somewhat backwards notions of the general public, actually sees it's fair share of combat. However, the Irish army is a small professional army mainly consisting of pretty well educated soldiers.

They never were. Policy was introduced in the late 80s, early 90s to ensure that discrimination was a punishable offence.

Many state that women getting shot in battle would cause a distraction to men who would then stop to provide assistence thus getting shot themselves. That would be most Armies excuse for keeping women from the front line. The US army might use PFC Jessica Lynch on this basis as she was kiddnapped and tortured early in the Iraq conflict.

Yes a morale issue, as stated. Hasn't stopped the Israelis though.
    They never were. Policy was introduced in the late 80s, early 90s to ensure that discrimination was a punishable offence.

Yes. Could you link to the policy documentation from the 80s? Homosexuality was illegal in Ireland back than.

Boston wrote: »
    Yes a morale issue, as stated. Hasn't stopped the Israelis though.

There just mad. The women over there probably beat the men, hence frontline service.
    Yes. Could you link to the policy documentation from the 80s? Homosexuality was illegal in Ireland back than.

80s, No. That was just figurative. The Irish army always try to keep up with Irish law and in some cases expand on it for disciplinary reasons given the nature of the work.

We have the only army in the world I can think of that takes immense pride in what they do at home and overseas, aswell as trying to be at the forefront of change and service to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Everytime I browse through this forum, I misread the title of this thread as "Don't Ask, Don't Tell Repealed by SANTA"

And yeah, good news for gay soldiers who want to serve their country, but tbh it baffles me as to why anyone would want to join the army in the first place.

• Advertisement

Duty, honour, loyalty, a sense of being part of something bigger and more important than yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

'bout time

Advertisement