Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

listening to BBC radio on smartphone using wifi

Options
  • 19-12-2010 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

Folks,

I want to listen to BBC radio on the Nokia smartphone the odd time using wifi at home, but as I am not based in the UK it won't let me use the iplayer application which I have installed on the phone.

I can use the iplayer to listen to the BBC radio on my laptop at home (as I type) so is there anyway about it to be able to listen on the phone?

I can listen to other internet radio stations ok,
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

If you use a proxy connection for the UK, it will think your in the uk and allow you listen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

hi.

i use an app on my ipod touch for this exact purpose. it's called TuneIn Radio, it's excellent, lets you listen to any station anywhere in the world, you can even record radio with it.

give a search for it in the ovi store, it could be available there.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭patspost

thanks for the replies, I will look up Ovi store.
    Re a proxie, the laptop works fine with the site, so the bbc site it seems can tell the type of device connecting to it and allow or not if that makes sense.
    I need to make it think tne phone is a laptop maybe??

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

This is available in OVI, and there are a few BBC stations listed if you search for BBC once the program is installed.

http://www.techknots.com/mobiles/nokia-internet-radio-s60v5/

What phone do you have?

Does it work on the phone when your in the uk? what error are you getting now?

• Advertisement

The phone is a Nokia N85,
    I have never tried to connect to Iplayer whilst in the UK.

The message that normally comes up is in relation to being outside of the jurisdiction " We do not currently support BBC iplayer outside the UK".

I have an internet radio application that came on the phone, it has BBC world service & Arabic etc, but not say BBC 1,2,3 & 4 etc.

Thanks for the suggestions folks.

The N85 wont stream live radio with the iplayer > http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/mobile_iplayer/mobile_phone

Even if you are in the uk

Thanks for the reply Davy.
    I can't stream pre recorded shows on the either.
    When I go to the site it says content not available outside the UK.

The website lets me access/ play radio using the laptop, I can listen"now" live.

thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

www.radiofeeds.co.uk, is a great site. It will play radio stations on a 3rd party player. There is also a mobile version to this site.

Advertisement