Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Data Station

Options
  • 19-12-2010 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭

I was looking at this Wireless Data Station to allow me to print wirelessly in my house as well as to access a Hard-Drive through both my PS3 and my laptop.

What I was wondering whether I need a router with this or whether it can connect directly to my computer?

Also, I use a mobile broadband dongle and I was wondering whether this can be plugged into the unit to wirelessly share my "broadband" throughout my house as I am considering buying an android handset with wifi abilities?

Thanks in advance,
    Jackobyte.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

Jackobyte wrote: »
    I was looking at this Wireless Data Station to allow me to print wirelessly in my house as well as to access a Hard-Drive through both my PS3 and my laptop.

What I was wondering whether I need a router with this or whether it can connect directly to my computer?
    Wired - yes.
    Wireless - No.. Looks like it connects to a Wifi access point. You could make your laptop 1, but then your PS3 would also need to connect to the laptop.. Bit of a mess really.
    Also, I use a mobile broadband dongle and I was wondering whether this can be plugged into the unit to wirelessly share my "broadband" throughout my house as I am considering buying an android handset with wifi abilities?
    This can only share storage.
    You can get routers that accept the 3G dongles and share over wifi.
    e.g. http://www.dabs.ie/products/tp-link-300mbps-wireless-n-3g-router-77RW.html
    Not sure how good it is - just using as an example.

Advertisement