Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

regional work in july/august

Options
  • 19-12-2010 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am thinking of going to auz in july or august of next year and when i arrive i hope to go straight into doing the regional work for the 3 months so i can get it out of the way and not worry about my 2nd whv...
    is this time of year ok to find regional work? location would not matter too much once its not too remote:) any info much appreciated,thanks:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

bump :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭vill@in

Hey I've a similar idea - getting the regional work outta the way first up - although I'll be hoping to start in April. Not sure what its like at that time of year. Presumably will get more info when I get over there.

In the meantime though, I downloaded something called the 'National Harvest Guide' from www.harvesttrail.gov.au which gave me some useful info.

Hope it may help...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

as far as iim aware you can work in adelaide or darwin and it will count just the same as fruit picking on a farm , id much prefer to do labouring in adelaide than fruit pick for 3 months ,

daftdave wrote: »
    as far as iim aware you can work in adelaide or darwin and it will count just the same as fruit picking on a farm , id much prefer to do labouring in adelaide than fruit pick for 3 months ,

can anyone confirm this?

has anyone on here done the regional work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Its all here including the link for the postcode

You must:

have completed three months of specified work in regional Australia while on your first Working Holiday (417) visa (there is no requirement to do further specified work on the second visa)

Definition of specified work

Specified work is any type of work described in the list below:

plant and animal cultivation
    cultivating or propagating plants, fungi or their products or parts
    general maintenance crop work
    harvesting and/or packing fruit and vegetable crops
    immediate processing of animal products including shearing, butchery in an abattoir, packing and tanning
    Note: Secondary processing of animal products, such as small goods processing and retail butchery is not eligible
    immediate processing of plant products
    maintaining animals for the purpose of selling them or their bodily produce, including natural increase
    manufacturing dairy produce from raw material
    pruning and trimming vines and trees.
    fishing and pearling
    conducting operations relating directly to taking or catching fish and other aquatic species
    conducting operations relating directly to taking or culturing pearls or pearl shell.
    tree farming and felling
    felling trees in a plantation or forest
    planting or tending trees in a plantation or forest that are intended to be felled
    transporting trees or parts of trees that were felled in a plantation or forest to the place where they are first to be milled or processed or from which they are to be transported to the place where they are to be milled or processed.
    mining
    coal mining
    oil and gas extraction
    metal ore mining
    non-metallic mineral mining and quarrying
    exploration and other mining support services not including secondary activities such as book-keeping, catering and transport.
    construction
    building construction
    heavy and civil engineering construction
    construction services including metal wall cladding fixing to buildings, petrol bowser installation, sand blasting or steam cleaning of building exteriors, scaffolding construction, waterproofing of building.
    Work undertaken in the areas of plant and animal cultivation, fishing and pearling, and tree farming and felling must be described in the list above to meet the specified work requirement.

Supporting work, such as book-keeping, in any industry described in the list above does not meet the definition of specified work.

Specified work:

does not need to be paid work
    Example: Work undertaken as a volunteer or through the Willing Workers on Organic Farms (WWOOF) scheme may qualify if the work falls within the specified work definition listed above.
    does not need to be undertaken as a direct employee
    Example: Work undertaken as a contractor is eligible if it falls within the specified work definition listed above.
    must be described in the list above

Examples of eligible specified work:

picking fruits on a farm or orchard
    feeding and herding cattle which are kept for commercial purposes
    constructing a house
    extracting ore on a mine site.

Examples of ineligible specified work:

working at a cellar door providing wine tastings
    undertaking an archaeological survey
    working as a caterer or cook on a mine site
    working as an architect or town planner
    working as a cook or cleaner while volunteering through the WWOOF scheme
    helping to construct ships or boats.

How to find specified work

You can find specified work vacancies in the same way as you would find other job vacancies, such as through employment pages in newspapers, the Internet and job placement service providers. Vacancies specifically for plant and animal cultivation can be found on the Harvest Trail website.
    Note: Not all vacancies advertised on the Harvest Trail website will qualify you for a second Working Holiday visa.
    See: Harvest Trail

You should ensure that the vacancy meets the definition of specified work listed above and that the work will take place in an eligible postcode of regional Australia.
    See: Regional Australia

How to calculate specified work

'Three months' means three 'calendar' months or 88 days. Work can be:

in one block with one business
    or
    in separate blocks with one business or a number of businesses. Blocks of work may be in different kinds of specified work.
    One full day of work is defined as having worked a minimum number of standard hours for a particular industry. You cannot count a long day of work as more than one day of specified work. For example, if your industry’s standard day is six hours long, working a twelve hour day does not count as two days of specified work.

Full time workers may include weekends in calculating the number of days worked.

Applicants who work part time or on a casual basis can only count the full days actually worked. The shortest period that can be counted is one day of full time work (for any given industry).

Full time workers can count sick days only during periods where they were in paid employment and entitled to sick leave or covered by a workers compensation scheme. In these situations, supporting evidence must be provided by the employer.

Applicants who were prevented from obtaining employment because of injury or seasonal circumstances cannot count any time they were unable to work towards the three month period.
    Example: Cyclones interrupting harvest activities.

Some possible examples to help clarify the definition of three months of specified work are outlined below.

Examples of three months

Examples that meet the three month requirement

Working week
    You work on a farm for three months for five days each week, where the farmer considers five days a week to be full time work.
    Shift work
    You are employed as a miner for three months and under the employment contract you are only required to work every second week, which is the standard full time contract for the industry.
    Blocks of work
    You complete 60 days of harvest work, followed by a period of travel for two months. Then you complete another 28 days in construction, bringing the total days worked to 88 days.
    Sick days
    You are employed for a three month period but take several days of sick leave during the period.
    Examples that do not meet the three month requirement

Working week
    Four days a week is considered full time work by the farm, but you only work three days a week for three months.
    Work done on another visa type
    You complete three months of specified work during your summer break while on a Student visa.
    Seasonal circumstances
    You pick bananas for 80 days on a casual basis, but cannot find more work as there is a cyclone and your first Working Holiday visa ceases.
    Evidence of specified work

If you apply for a second Working Holiday visa, you will need to provide evidence that you have satisfied the specified work eligibility requirement. Acceptable evidence of specified work (completed while on your first Working Holiday visa) includes original or certified copies of the following:

payslips
    group certificates
    payment summaries
    tax returns
    employer references
    a completed employment verification form signed by your employer.

Note: Providing a completed Form 1263 and additional forms of evidence will allow your application to be assessed more quickly. Please ensure that all information provided is correct. Contacting third parties to verify the claims of applicants for second Working Holiday visas will now be a standard component of second Working Holiday visa application assessments.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭irishturkey

daftdave wrote: »

Unsure about Darwin but Adelaide counts although not just any job. I can't tell you much more, you'll have to check it out when you get here but I know for sure that Adelaide is eligible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

zweton wrote: »
    can anyone confirm this?

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/postcodes.htm
    South Australia All of South Australia is classified as part of regional Australia.
    Northern Territory All of Northern Territory is classified as part of regional Australia.

I've heard from many people that Darwin is the place to go, the pay is ridiculously good for most things.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Undertow

I've also heard a lot of people talk about Mildura which is on the Victoria/New South Wales border. Its meant to be pretty popular.

Im working in for a Civil Engineering firm up in Bendigo at the moment. While the post-code matches whats required for a 2nd year visa, does the work need to be outdoors or do I qualify while working in a Civil Engineering firm?

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rebel Boy

Undertow wrote: »
    I've also heard a lot of people talk about Mildura which is on the Victoria/New South Wales border. Its meant to be pretty popular.

Im working in for a Civil Engineering firm up in Bendigo at the moment. While the post-code matches whats required for a 2nd year visa, does the work need to be outdoors or do I qualify while working in a Civil Engineering firm?

I'm going there next week to do fruit picking. Looking forward to getting out of the cities for a bit tbh. Need to try and save up again lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

zweton wrote: »
    can anyone confirm this?
    I can. Done it myself.

I think i wrote about it here before some time ago. It should be of interest to anyone in the building trade here, as there are many construction projects going on in South Australia at the moment and into the future. If you do even a tiny little bit of research into some of what mandrake04 posted you'll find everything you need.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Bumping this thread.

I'm currently trying to organise my regional work. I've little farm experience (does my Dad being a farmer count :p ) and no driver's licence, which kinda leaves me buggered.

What I'm really looking for is contacts/ suggestions of places to go, or people to contact. I've looked at the harvest trail website but because I'm going on my own, I'd love if someone could point me towards somewhere where I will meet other backpackers.

I hope to start in June/ July.

Thanks guys!

Advertisement