Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost your Dog?what steps have you taken to recover Him/her?

• 19-12-2010 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

As the title says,if you've had the unfortunate experience of loosing your dog or having him/her stolen....... what efforts did you make to recover the dog?

i ask this as my dog has been missing for 2 weeks now,she got spooked(im guessing)while out walking one evening in the dark and thats the last i saw of her.

Im hoping to pick up some ideas from a post here. cheers guys.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭DMG_49

1.Try and get different radio stations to put ad's on

2.Ad's on donedeal, gumtree, local paper etc.

3.Posters around the area / vets

There just a few, hope that helps and good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Sorry to hear about your dog OP, thankfully I have never lost a dog but have taken in a few.

- I let the guards, dog warden and local rescues know the breed gender etc of the dog
    - posted in the lost and found thread here
    - posted pictures on local rescue facebook page
    - posted on lostandfoundpets.ie
    - put up posters in local area

Best of luck. What area are you in? Do you have a picture?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Very sorry to hear. Probably a little late to suggest but I've had the exact thing happen a few times.
    The dog (or both dogs once) end up coming down the hill from our walk eventually. They stayed very close to where I parked the car and found a dry hayshed to sleep in.
    Once next morning while I was calling them a farmer chased me down, they had started investigating his chicken coop and he took them in.
    The next time it was the same place same shed but I got there early enough that he met me in the car park.
    I didn't even walk up the hill, no point he was so close.
    Try a sign near where u walked them or a local shop. Chipped?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

hi all

Microchipped,yes, guards informed yes,they even spoke on Radio about her,dog warden was informed immediately and has phoned me a few times just to say hes on the case,he too spoke on radio looking for her. ive paid 30 euro a time to my local radio to have it mentioned that she is missing and we have a reward for her return. i will continue to do this for for the next number of weeks.

i was thinking of putting ads in the kerryman,cork examiner,tipp starr, limerick leader as i belive she could well be moved on by now:(

i dont have a picture of her on here,but she is on donedeal (twice so far)and every other dog site that i know of as missing.

shes a 1 year old black pedigree staff.

Are there any markets where people sell dogs in the country?

im In Ennis clare.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Have you tried knocking on doors in the immediate area where she was lost?
    Was she lost in the middle of nowhere or close to a lot of houses/estates?
    I have lost my own, and also found someone else's dog. The dog I found was only out for a wander and tbh the owner actually seemed annoyed i picked it up.

We only lived a mile from each other and they only discovered i had found it from a note in a local shop. They didnt bother to chip the dog - I scanned it at the vet after a week.

This time of year, if someone finds a dog - its likely they will think of keeping it for xmas, or at least untill the weather gets better. I know, cause thats when I found the dog last year - and my sons were sad to see it go (even tho it was our third).

I wouldnt lose hope that they will eventually check for the chip. People just arent that bothered to rush down to a vet to have it scanned this time of year anyways.

mmmhh........ well i have driven around every estate in ennis,numerous times,places ive never been to,ive been to other towns and villages,spoken to dog owners locally and not local.

she is a mad friendly little thing so either someone driving by has picked her up or someone has just decided to keep her to sell or breed.The warden didnt say as much but its clear at this stage,someone has her.
    There werent any houses near where we walked,the warden in clare is very active so he would have been informed...... or the person who is holding the dog would have heard the ad on the radio as the ad goes out 5 times a day.

i dont know:( but someone does...... anyway cheers for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I have shared the lostandfoundpets link on my facebook, hope you find her OP shes gorgeous.

http://www.lostandfoundpets.ie/tz2p5u

TillyGirl wrote: »
    I have shared the lostandfoundpets link on my facebook, hope you find her OP shes gorgeous.

http://www.lostandfoundpets.ie/tz2p5u

hey tilly.............. thanks a million........ we're desperate at this stage.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Where on the bypass did you lose her?
    I live in Cappahard and there is a dog wandering round here the last 2/3 days that i've never seen before but as I am housebound I can only say it looks like a staffie i've not been up close to have a proper look
    Will try take a pic tomorrow and post it up for you to see
    Did you post her info on the Clare forum here??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

As the title says,if you've had the unfortunate experience of loosing your dog or having him/her stolen....... what efforts did you make to recover the dog?

i ask this as my dog has been missing for 2 weeks now,she got spooked(im guessing)while out walking one evening in the dark and thats the last i saw of her.

Im hoping to pick up some ideas from a post here. cheers guys.

op have you made it clear that there is a reward for gettin her back. another idea is put on posters, let radio station know, they can leave her somewhere safe, say a garda station or a vets and no questions will be asked.Probably going to get lynhed for this but is there a campsite near you, if there is maybe take a spin up and see if shes there, unfortunatly cause of her breed she might have been stolen for fighting.

a friends saymod(sp?) was stolen earlier in the year, probably someone thinking they could breed with her, once word went out she was neutered and that if she was left somewhere safe no questions would be asked, she turned up within 24hrs outside a local vets tied to the railings just before they opened.

I hope you find her in time for christmas

I lost her on the ennis bypass,the road going from clarecastle towards the lahinch road........ at the section where all the rock was blasted away for the new road(hope that helps)

I have been in every halting site in ennis,both in the dark and in daylight...... early in the morning in the hope she has seen some daylight but nothing.
    ive a feeling she may not even be in clare at the moment..... i dont know.aye,she'll be bred alright if shes not found....:(

as for the ads on the radio,yeah its mentioned there is a reward.

i will have a gander around cappahard tommo........ thanks for the info

if anyone did happen to see her,please phone frankie coote or my self on 0879668471

thanks for all you messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

hi all

Microchipped,yes, guards informed yes,they even spoke on Radio about her,dog warden was informed immediately and has phoned me a few times just to say hes on the case,he too spoke on radio looking for her. ive paid 30 euro a time to my local radio to have it mentioned that she is missing and we have a reward for her return. i will continue to do this for for the next number of weeks.

i was thinking of putting ads in the kerryman,cork examiner,tipp starr, limerick leader as i belive she could well be moved on by now:(

i dont have a picture of her on here,but she is on donedeal (twice so far)and every other dog site that i know of as missing.

shes a 1 year old black pedigree staff.

Are there any markets where people sell dogs in the country?

Aye, do this. She could have even been moved on by a well meaning person. Manys a dog has turned up at the other end of the country.

I think there was a thread a while back about a lost dog that had some brilliant info in it, I think it was the rottie x called bear. One of the things that was suggested was to change her microchip info and put LOST/STOLEN on it as well as all your details that way there is no doubt as to her history if she has been brought to a vets.

Advertise a large reward but never say how much. On the ads/signs say she is spayed, someone who doesn't know what they are looking for will not know any different until she goes into heat. There's less chance of someone keeping her for breeding (actually no chance if it's solely for breeding they want her for) if they think she is neutered.

Fingers crossed for a good outcome.

So the good news is,My dog is home thank god.

she was in cloughleigh if anyone knows the estate in Ennis.
    someone saw the Ads on donedeal and said "the dog followed them home":rolleyes:

anyway..... i gave the kids that handed me the dog 50 as i didnt care anymore as i was just delighted to get my dog safe.

(by the way,they never asked for any cash,i just gave them what i had on me)

thanks for all your kind and helpful comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

thats fantastic news glad you got her home for christmas :D

thats fantastic news glad you got her home for christmas :D

Yeah.... its unbelievable......... phew! she looks a little under the weather,eyes look sore,she seems wrecked tired.

cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

Am thrilled for you, your family and obviously your little doggy!! Ive been checking in for the past couple of weeks since your initial missing post waiting for some good news :) Make sure to spoil her rotten and have a fab Christmas, you both deserve it :)

jellybear wrote: »
    Am thrilled for you, your family and obviously your little doggy!! Ive been checking in for the past couple of weeks since your initial missing post waiting for some good news :) Make sure to spoil her rotten and have a fab Christmas, you both deserve it :)
    Hey,what can i say?:):):):):):)

i never gave up,i useta get up earlier in the morning and drive around estates in ennis in the hope whoever had her might let her out for a run when not too many people were about.

i got a caller from Laois,telling me she was on the lookout,

seriously the good will messages we got lifted everones spirits. thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

good to hear a happy ending, I lost two of my dogs a couple of years ago . they were gone for a couple of hours but I was so worried as one of them never usually leaves the garden. They both turned up soaking wet(it hadn't been raining) and happy as larry. My only guess is they went off on a serious adventure, they were exhausted and slept for almost a day:)

Advertisement