Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Awful packet loss!

• 19-12-2010 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

Just recently switched to upc in the middle of the phones being switched on a 15Mb package. I'm using pingtest.net and getting 13ms ping, but 59% packet loss is there anything i can do to improve it.;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Mr X15 wrote: »
    Just recently switched to upc in the middle of the phones being switched on a 15Mb package. I'm using pingtest.net and getting 13ms ping, but 59% packet loss is there anything i can do to improve it.;)
    Don't use pingtest.net, that will improve your pings on UPC. There is something up specifically with pingtest, I used to get 90-99% packet loss, but when I checked through Network Utility (I use a Mac), I got 1-0% packet loss. There are a few other threads on here reporting the same problem, and recommending the use of CMD pings for PCs to see what the true results are before worrying about it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

There's a dozen threads about this, just turn off the packet flood protection in the modem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Spear wrote: »
    There's a dozen threads about this, just turn off the packet flood protection in the modem.
    if there isn't actually any real problems with the connection other than pingtest.net saying there is packet loss, then there is no reason to turn of the flood detection on the router at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mr X15

Hi vibe i turned it off and the overall connection was much better i can notice a huge improvement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Hi vibe i turned it off and the overall connection was much better i can notice a huge improvement
    good for you then and i'm glad you got it sorted, as well as apologies (and a thanks) to Spear. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement