Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where have you spotted the camera vans!

• 19-12-2010 6:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭

I just thought it would be a good idea to start a thread for Limerick people to log where and when they spotted the new speed camera vans around the place. We might be able to spots some trends, most used places and times of day etc.

I spotted one today on the road between Ardnacrusha and Clonlara, just before the bridge into Clonlara village at about 3pm (I know thats Clare not Limerick but its a road that I'm sure people often use!)

Full List
    1. Mulgrave Street(between Prison and Texaco)
    2. Ennis Road(Across from old O'Mara Motors)
    3. Newport(Outside Nursing home)
    4. Ennis Road(Just passed Topaz outbound)
    5. N18 Inbound(Just before Caherdavin Exit)
    6. Dock Road(Lay by between Topaz's)
    7. Ennis Rd, opposite the Gaelic Grounds
    8. N69 - between Mungret and Clarina, near the council depot
    9. Limerick/Killaloe Rd, past turn for Clonlara, near Monaskeagh (spelling)
    10. Limerick/Killaloe Rd, third bend on the way out of Killaloe village.
    11. Scoil An Spioraid Naoimh, Roxborough on the Fedamore Road.
    12. Grange stone Circle on the Kilmallock road!
    13. Templeglantine Village (N21) just outside the petrol station.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Spotted at the 50kph zone on the N24 at Monard. The Traffic Corps love that Place

Spotted them lots of times at 8am on the Tipperary road coming out from their offices/storage area behind CWS / OMC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Nowhere yet,is anyone using Trapster here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Had intended on getting trapster but i havent come across any of the vans yet so dunno if i will

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

trapster ?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

I loaded it to my Blackberry, don't know if it works that well. So far it has only warned me of roadworks at Toomevara. Having said that, it's success depends on the feedback from other users and I haven't been on the road as much as usual lately, so haven't needed it or had anything to add.

I've only seen stationary vans twice- one on the N7 between Borris-in-Ossory and Roscrea catching patrolling as people come off the motorway. The other was at a 50km/ph area at Aghamore in Longford on the N4. I met one in transit around Ferrybridge on the N69 last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10 nern

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Spotted one on the Limerick road out of Newport (right outside the nursing home).

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭CCSL

Just as you pass after the entrance to the soccer pitch on the left in by the cement factory ( 50 yards before the end of the lower speed limit ) :rolleyes:

catching traffic heading in to town.

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

On the LHS on the way out of Ballyneety, across from the old Texaco station

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭denismac

There was one on the Ennis Road inbound to city at 8.30 Sunday morning. Just a km before the Caherdavin exit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

alan1990 wrote: »
    I just thought it would be a good idea to start a thread for Limerick people to log where and when they spotted the new speed camera vans around the place. We might be able to spots some trends, most used places and times of day etc.

I spotted one today on the road between Ardnacrusha and Clonlara, just before the bridge into Clonlara village at about 3pm (I know thats Clare not Limerick but its a road that I'm sure people often use!)

That must be a regular haunt as my partner saw one there at the start of the vans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

alan1990 wrote: »

hmm.. could you google streetview the position they're parking? I have a feeling it might be private property..

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Jambo221

Awesome, this thread should have been started sooner, just hope it's not too late to cause a few accidents before Xmas day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Saturday night/ sunday morning..around 3.30am on the road between the Clonmacken r/about and the Coonagh one. Never seen them there before and at that time of night.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭natsuko

saw one at roxboro national school, ballysheedy, the other night...

saw them near bunratty this morning at 5.30am

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

Were on the Ardnacrusha to Clonlara road about two weeks ago, 2 vans within 500yds of each other, pricks.

L.T.P. wrote: »
    Were on the Ardnacrusha to Clonlara road about two weeks ago, 2 vans within 500yds of each other, pricks.
    I think that anyone who speeds up after passing a speed trap is a prick, and they deserve what they get even more if they get caught by both vans. The only way of beating them is to not speed, alerting people of their location completely misses the point, every driver should assume there's a camera around every corner.

Jambo221 wrote: »
    I think that anyone who speeds up after passing a speed trap is a prick, and they deserve what they get even more if they get caught by both vans. The only way of beating them is to not speed, alerting people of their location completely misses the point, every driver should assume there's a camera around every corner.

point taken but not agreed with ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

They had 2 vans rotating all day last wednesday at exit 4 (limerick/radisson hotel) on the shannon to limerick dual carriageway.

point taken but not agreed with ;)
    You can't take a point and not agree with it :P In my view, the only way of beating the system is to make it redundant, otherwise they'll just come up with more expensive measures to catch people out.

Are people so impatient that they can't obey speed limits? I don't know anyone who's time is more valuable than their life.

You can't take a point and not agree with it :P In my view, the only way of beating the system is to make it redundant, otherwise they'll just come up with more expensive measures to catch people out.

Are people so impatient that they can't obey speed limits? I don't know anyone who's time is more valuable than their life.

i can take a point:D and i dont agree,its not hard too see why with the crap for garda and goverment putting out too get extra cash,and for the record,they will always find ways too justifie there ways,so please too make excuses here too me and others

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

phill106 wrote: »
    They had 2 vans rotating all day last wednesday at exit 4 (limerick/radisson hotel) on the shannon to limerick dual carriageway.

They were there this morning around eight.

i can take a point:D and i dont agree,its not hard too see why with the crap for garda and goverment putting out too get extra cash,and for the record,they will always find ways too justifie there ways,so please too make excuses here too me and others
    I honestly don't care if their motive is to rake in money, if people get the point they'll rake in nothing, which is exactly what I'd like to see. You can never eliminate speeding completely, but as far as I can see the speed camera vans should put a good dent in it, and honestly I take offense to the idea of people warning each other of where the vans are just so they can get away with speeding.
    Especially so close to Xmas when people should be extra careful on the roads the thought of it is even sickening to me, speeding isn't the only contributor to road deaths, but taking measures to get away with it displays an ignorant attitude to me.

I honestly don't care if their motive is to rake in money, if people get the point they'll rake in nothing, which is exactly what I'd like to see. You can never eliminate speeding completely, but as far as I can see the speed camera vans should put a good dent in it, and honestly I take offense to the idea of people warning each other of where the vans are just so they can get away with speeding.
    Especially so close to Xmas when people should be extra careful on the roads the thought of it is even sickening to me, speeding isn't the only contributor to road deaths, but taking measures to get away with it displays an ignorant attitude to me.
    thats your problem if you take offense if others let each other know whos in road,and its your opinion,not everyones,so if you dont like others posting here about speed vans,maybe you should post your own thread as this thread is about where people in general see these vans,
    merry merry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Jambo,

In certain situations you may be correct but in many situations in respect of the speed limits your last point is not valid.

There are roads all around this country where the speed limit was previously 60mph and then became 80kph and because of some aul bints and parents the road then became 60kph in spots because they cannot stop their stupid kids running out into traffic. Seriously this happened on the R503. The councillor bowed to pressure and reduced the speed in the safest area of the 60km stretch between Limerick and Thurles. It boggles the mind.

The current N7 between Limerick and Nenagh is due to be reduced to 80kph when it becomes an R road on the 20th December. Has the road changed? No. It is still perfectly SAFE to do 100kph.

The same applies to most roads in the country.

There are roads in Ireland, boreens if you will, that have 80kph signs which are laughable because you couldn't possibly get your car over 30kph on them but that is not the Gatsos fault, the Joe soaps fault, it is the councils fault. However, the Gardai, Traffic Corps and Go Safe Camera brigade wont blame the council. They will just say "we are only doing our job".

Dermot Aherns face said it all when he was present at an interview about these cameras in relation to their money making ability.

I don't agree with the Cameras but I'm highly concious of my speed at all times because my license is required for my job.

Berty wrote: »
    Jambo,

In certain situations you may be correct but in many situations in respect of the speed limits your last point is not valid.

There are roads all around this country where the speed limit was previously 60mph and then became 80kph and because of some aul bints and parents the road then became 60kph in spots because they cannot stop their stupid kids running out into traffic. Seriously this happened on the R503. The councillor bowed to pressure and reduced the speed in the safest area of the 60km stretch between Limerick and Thurles. It boggles the mind.

The current N7 between Limerick and Nenagh is due to be reduced to 80kph when it becomes an R road on the 20th December. Has the road changed? No. It is still perfectly SAFE to do 100kph.

The same applies to most roads in the country.

There are roads in Ireland, boreens if you will, that have 80kph signs which are laughable because you couldn't possibly get your car over 30kph on them but that is not the Gatsos fault, the Joe soaps fault, it is the councils fault. However, the Gardai, Traffic Corps and Go Safe Camera brigade wont blame the council. They will just say "we are only doing our job".

Dermot Aherns face said it all when he was present at an interview about these cameras in relation to their money making ability.

I don't agree with the Cameras but I'm highly concious of my speed at all times because my license is required for my job.
    spot on and agree 100%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Also, the stated intention of the Gatso vans is to get motorists to reduce their speed in particular accident black spot areas, so people sharing information about where these vans have been spotted in no way misses the point if it causes motorists to slow down in these areas.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

L.T.P. wrote: »

No, not pricks. Smart.

Advertisement