Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where have you spotted the camera vans!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭allimac

There was one on Mulgrave st last night again and also on the condell rd between coonagh and clonmacken roundabout also at around 10 pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pugw

One by exit 4 of shannon-limerick dual carriageway God there haunting the place a dark red coloured van impossible to see in the dark Im saying my prayers :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭brianregan09

There was one at Roxboro school yesterday evening round 4 aswell facing the country side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

A red traffic van parked on the Killaloe road between Clonlara bridge and the O Briens Bridge turn off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Kess73 wrote: »
    A red traffic van parked on the Killaloe road between Clonlara bridge and the O Briens Bridge turn off.

Yeah I have seen him parked in front of the sign that says "ESB - Do not obstruct this gate"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭nessy382

i saw the camera van on the belgard road in tallaght dublin a few times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Berty wrote: »
    Yeah I have seen him parked in front of the sign that says "ESB - Do not obstruct this gate"

That's exactly where I saw the van. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,050 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

It was there yesterday night @21;00 facing towards O Briens Bridge on the layby and at 12:00 midnite at the ESB gateway.
    Straight stretch of road, of course a great place collect taxes,err..prevent road deaths!!:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

Red transit just before Caherdavin slip road on your way to the tunnel this morning.

As a matter of interest, do they always flash or only when the vehicle is speeding? I was definitely doing the limit and it flashed so I'm confused.

Also, they can't see the other side of the dual carriageway can they?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

on cork side of mallow yesterday around lunchtime and same place on saturday around 2.30pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Dumdum McCarthy

white van np stickers outside corbally soccer pitch today 4.35pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I'm getting increasingly sick of this. It's ruining driving for me, that and the increasing costs of fuel. My father has now gotten ten points on his licence, he had zero before the speed vans came into operation, the last time he was caught he was doing 63 in a 60kph zone. Considering that he drives for a living his livelihood will be gone in no time.

I am raging with him that he won't heed my advice when I tell him where the zones are and that he should adhere to them but he's old fashioned and has been driving forty years without incident.

Most of the 'offences' have been between 3 - 6 km over the limit. It's a ****ing joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

I'm getting increasingly sick of this. It's ruining driving for me, that and the increasing costs of fuel. My father has now gotten ten points on his licence, he had zero before the speed vans came into operation, the last time he was caught he was doing 63 in a 60kph zone. Considering that he drives for a living his livelihood will be gone in no time.

I am raging with him that he won't heed my advice when I tell him where the zones are and that he should adhere to them but he's old fashioned and has been driving forty years without incident.

Most of the 'offences' have been between 3 - 6 km over the limit. It's a ****ing joke.

I have some sympathy for him but if he's picking up 2 points for each time he's caught he should really have learnt his lesson by now, slow down. If he doesn't he'll be off the raod shortly and iirc he'll have to resit his test if that happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

3-6 kph? that would barely register on the speedo. Saying that, apparently most cars speedos have a variance on it, so you think you are doing say 66mph, while in reality it would only be 60 (could be urban legend).
    If i was him, id flick on the cruise control if available :)

Either that or stick to 5kph under limit just in case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

phill106 wrote: »
    3-6 kph? that would barely register on the speedo. Saying that, apparently most cars speedos have a variance on it, so you think you are doing say 66mph, while in reality it would only be 60 (could be urban legend).

Either that or stick to 5kph under limit just in case

That's not an urban legend, that's built into cars. You're never going as fast as it says on the speedo.

phill106 wrote: »

That's what I do now especially when on the Ennis Rd, Condell Rd and heading out the Killaloe rd and damn the drivers behind me, who think by driving closer to me that I'll speed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

keane2097 wrote: »
    That's not an urban legend, that's built into cars. You're never going as fast as it says on the speedo.

can you trust the speed given on those speed ratings signs on the Shannon Bridge and on Mulgrave Street ? Are they an accurate reading anyone know ? My speedo will say 55k/h when those signs are only reading about 48k/h

can you trust the speed given on those speed ratings signs on the Shannon Bridge and on Mulgrave Street ? Are they an accurate reading anyone know ? My speedo will say 55k/h when those signs are only reading about 48k/h

They tally with my satnav but I dont which is correct :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I would imagine those are based off the same technology as the speed cameras and would certainly trust them more than a speedometer which has inaccuracy deliberately designed into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭brian2me

haven't spotted them in a while now so no doubt its time they came back again for a week or two. What I did spot a few times recently is one motorbike garda on Condel Road near the Westfields crossing (he tucks in behind the council green hut).

Yea have spotted that guy there too, he has to pull speeders into the bus/taxi lane,cyclist lane. No safety procedures taken into account there, if I was caught would not pull in till I was in a save location to do so. Which would be across the shannon bridge!!!! Anyone know the legality of him pulling people over on a bus lane without safety procedures taken into account.

50kph is joke on that road should be 80kph

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Tinytony

Are the Garda vans ever on the M7 between Limerick and Nenagh?
    I travel it about 2 twice a week and haven't seen them yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Tinytony wrote: »
    Are the Garda vans ever on the M7 between Limerick and Nenagh?
    I travel it about 2 twice a week and haven't seen them yet.

You cannot park on a Motorway(people will argue Gardai can but very unsafe to do so) so very unlikely and the size of the transit may not sit comfortably on the Garda motorway ramps(which they never use).

Gardai like to be on stretches they are used to where they know they will catch dangerous drivers.

People doing 130/140km/h on Motorways is not generally unsafe so they don't prey on Motorway drivers.

ALWAYS slow down at onramps though. They love hiding on the onramps, the gits. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

keane2097 wrote: »
    I would imagine those are based off the same technology as the speed cameras and would certainly trust them more than a speedometer which has inaccuracy deliberately designed into it.

I drove in over Shannon Bridge this morning at an indicated 35 mph, approx 56 km/hr. The electronic display reported 49 km/hr and this tallies with my GPS which was reading 48.8 km/hr at the time. I'd verify it's precision and accuracy over it's working range but that may attract some unwanted Traffic Corps attention :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Berty wrote: »
    You cannot park on a Motorway(people will argue Gardai can but very unsafe to do so) so very unlikely and the size of the transit may not sit comfortably on the Garda motorway ramps(which they never use).

Know why?? probably because a lot of them (nearly all I've ever seen) have the most bizarre geography, requiring the 'official' car to reverse up on to them..... wtf....

In more developed countries the speed cameras are routinely mounted under bridges on m'ways 'cos its dangerous to mount a check or a van....In the even more developed countries they then stop you at the next toll and fine you on the spot, producing the photo evidence wirelessed from the camera.

While I'm on the subject, what is the feeling about people flashing you to warn of gatso vans?? I was so alerted four times this morning for one which was so placed that I couldn't have been checked.....screened behind bushes, looking one way. I believe flashing is not a good idea, speeding is dangerous.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

BarryM wrote: »
    While I'm on the subject, what is the feeling about people flashing you to warn of gatso vans?? I was so alerted four times this morning for one which was so placed that I couldn't have been checked.....screened behind bushes, looking one way. I believe flashing is not a good idea, speeding is dangerous.....

What? Since when is your fellow man, doing a complete stranger a favour a bad thing and I'll go out on a limb and say speeding is the most over-exaggerated law that the State is particularly tough on.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

BarryM wrote: »
    Know why?? probably because a lot of them (nearly all I've ever seen) have the most bizarre geography, requiring the 'official' car to reverse up on to them..... wtf....

In more developed countries the speed cameras are routinely mounted under bridges on m'ways 'cos its dangerous to mount a check or a van....In the even more developed countries they then stop you at the next toll and fine you on the spot, producing the photo evidence wirelessed from the camera.

Did you slow down because they flashed you? If yes then you were probably safer than moving along above the limit only to spot the van at the very last minute and jamming on the brakes in an attempt to avoid getting points.

If you were going at the appropriate speed in the first place then good for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭japasca

Van on mulgrave St. Now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

I haven't checked back to see if this has been mentioned but a few days back the van was on the R463 (the road to O'Briens Bridge - yes I know it's Co Clare but a lot of Limerick people use it).

Anyhow I received a Fixed Charge Offence notice saying I was doing 75kph in a 60kph zone. I went back and drove that stretch of road and the entire thing is signposted at 80kph. I'm arguing the points and fine on the basis that I can't obey a speed limit I don't know about and I have photos and video of that stretch proving teh lack of signage.

If anyone else was caught on that stretch of road I would strongly suggest that you think twice before simply paying the fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

I haven't checked back to see if this has been mentioned but a few days back the van was on the R463 (the road to O'Briens Bridge - yes I know it's Co Clare but a lot of Limerick people use it).

Anyhow I received a Fixed Charge Offence notice saying I was doing 75kph in a 60kph zone. I went back and drove that stretch of road and the entire thing is signposted at 80kph. I'm arguing the points and fine on the basis that I can't obey a speed limit I don't know about and I have photos and video of that stretch proving teh lack of signage.

If anyone else was caught on that stretch of road I would strongly suggest that you think twice before simply paying the fine.

Do you know where along that road you were stopped? There is a setion from about 2km outside of killaloe into killaloe village where the speed limit drops to 60kph and there is a location in that zone where I have often seen the van. AFAIK the road is 80kph all the way from Barrys Cross to there!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭brian2me

Hope it works out for you (could you pm me with a result when you get one), signage is a joke, speed camera signs should also carry the speed limit.

Advertisement