Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where have you spotted the camera vans!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Not exactly a camera van, but a Garda was hiding behind a sign just before the clondrinagh roundabout at 2.30 today with a speed gun, pointing at traffic going into town. Gave me a heart attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

alan1990 wrote: »
    Do you know where along that road you were stopped? There is a setion from about 2km outside of killaloe into killaloe village where the speed limit drops to 60kph and there is a location in that zone where I have often seen the van. AFAIK the road is 80kph all the way from Barrys Cross to there!

The van was in a layby just a few kms outside Barrys Cross, well after the crossroads, Alpha Dog Kennels, etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Lovely red van was between clonmacken and coonagh roundabout again this evening around 6pm.
    11 millionth time i have seen him there.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Red van outside Corbally United's pitch tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭LimerickBishop

Why can't people just stop speeding? Why do you need to see a speed camera to correct your delinquent behaviour behind the wheel of a car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

People arent necessarily speeding - they should increase the speed limit on a good few roads. On the Motorway - there'd be no harming increasing it to 130 and on the N roads 110

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

My brother was got speeding a fair few times, he just would lose concentration when on the dual carriageway, when the points came in he got 4 very quickly, so what he did was bought a car with cruise control and now he just uses that, he hasn't been caught speeding since

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

phill106 wrote: »
    Lovely red van was between clonmacken and coonagh roundabout again this evening around 6pm.
    11 millionth time i have seen him there.

saw it, and another on foynes rd after kildimo

Why can't people just stop speeding? Why do you need to see a speed camera to correct your delinquent behaviour behind the wheel of a car?

maybe it because some people cars give a different reading that what show on sat-navs and other digital equipment,speedios never been right,digital speedos are better ,depends on wheel size ,tyres few other things,we all cant be goodies too shoes:D,before a mile or 2 over the limit wasnt big deal ,and even if you got a speeding ticket from garda,few miles over was ok but after that it wasnt,with these camera vans ,a mile/km over and you get a ticket,thats what people are on about..i dont beleive they only getting paid by the hour too catch people,its a money racket,pure and simple,specialy whrn you see what it costs for the equipment they use,they there too make money as all operated by private companys and fixed cameras will also be private too,too make money for them and the state,its well know that main garda station have a quota they have too reach each month when it comes too speeding etc,

Clareman wrote: »
    My brother was got speeding a fair few times, he just would lose concentration when on the dual carriageway, when the points came in he got 4 very quickly, so what he did was bought a car with cruise control and now he just uses that, he hasn't been caught speeding since

might do that next time,get a car with cruise and cruise on motorway now that we have motorways:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

maybe it because some people cars give a different reading that what show on sat-navs and other digital equipment,speedios never been right,digital speedos are better ,depends on wheel size ,tyres few other things,we all cant be goodies too shoes:D,before a mile or 2 over the limit wasnt big deal ,and even if you got a speeding ticket from garda,few miles over was ok but after that it wasnt,with these camera vans ,a mile/km over and you get a ticket,thats what people are on about..i dont beleive they only getting paid by the hour too catch people,its a money racket,pure and simple,specialy whrn you see what it costs for the equipment they use,they there too make money as all operated by private companys and fixed cameras will also be private too,too make money for them and the state,its well know that main garda station have a quota they have too reach each month when it comes too speeding etc,

Have you actually got done for being one or 2 kms over the limit. The lads on the motor forum say to contest these.

I've heard from a Guard that they give about 10% leeway.

The condell road is the biggest joke of a speed limit. It's extremely difficult to do 50 kmph after coming off a 120 and 100 kmph road. I reckon they only have it so slow to make people use the tunnel to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

All wrong. I can 100% guarantee you that there are no speeding or any other ticket quota's in An Garda Siochana.

Also the companies are contracted by the state, they get a set amount of money per year and that's it. Whether they give out 1 ticket a year or 50,000 the company are on a set contract and only get paid a set amount of money.

with regards the speedo offset, yes this is true, however car manufacturers set the speedo's to read below the indicated speed, that is why your sat nav will read higher than your analog speedometer in the car. It is not a reason or excuse for being over the limit. In fact if you're even going 5km over the limit as indicated by your car you should be just about hitting the legal limit, depending obviously on the car make and the offset. I've calculated mine to be approximately 8km/hr, my Girlfriend's is 6km/hr (and always under the indicated speed). I can drive at almost 130km/h on a motorway and it will read 120km/h on a laser gun. Also the reading is taken off a magnet in the cars differential and not the wheel, changing the wheel size will not affect the speed reading in your speedometer.

It's also not a money making racket. If people drove at the correct speed then no tickets will be given out and no money would be made, your sat nav will warn you when you're in a speed camera zone. Your speedometer reads higher than the speed you're actually travelling at, and the private cameras only operate in the designated areas. So there's really no excuse.

Browney7 wrote: »
    Have you actually got done for being one or 2 kms over the limit. The lads on the motor forum say to contest these.

I've heard from a Guard that they give about 10% leeway.

The condell road is the biggest joke of a speed limit. It's extremely difficult to do 50 kmph after coming off a 120 and 100 kmph road. I reckon they only have it so slow to make people use the tunnel to be honest.

i know a few traffic garda,few miles over too allow for tyres and wheel over sizes and speedos ,was 5k's over was ok on motorways and n roads after that your on your own,with the speedo van,you got no allowance which is hard if your speedo says your driving the limit and there camera says your over,as sugggested ,try one of those digital sppedo you see near the bridge and see waht difference you get,even if you do see a difference,after some time,your driving some where,you mightened remember and still get speeding fine,i can see the point if someone is really over the speeding limit but a k or 2 km over the speed is abit much i think

foinse wrote: »
    All wrong. I can 100% guarantee you that there are no speeding or any other ticket quota's in An Garda Siochana.

Also the companies are contracted by the state, they get a set amount of money per year and that's it. Whether they give out 1 ticket a year or 50,000 the company are on a set contract and only get paid a set amount of money.

with regards the speedo offset, yes this is true, however car manufacturers set the speedo's to read below the indicated speed, that is why your sat nav will read higher than your analog speedometer in the car. It is not a reason or excuse for being over the limit. In fact if you're even going 5km over the limit as indicated by your car you should be just about hitting the legal limit, depending obviously on the car make and the offset. I've calculated mine to be approximately 8km/hr, my Girlfriend's is 6km/hr (and always under the indicated speed). I can drive at almost 130km/h on a motorway and it will read 120km/h on a laser gun. Also the reading is taken off a magnet in the cars differential and not the wheel, changing the wheel size will not affect the speed reading in your speedometer.

It's also not a money making racket. If people drove at the correct speed then no tickets will be given out and no money would be made, your sat nav will warn you when you're in a speed camera zone. Your speedometer reads higher than the speed you're actually travelling at, and the private cameras only operate in the designated areas. So there's really no excuse.

i dont agree,i know off the record what the targets are, and if off the record,wont be said or corrected,as far as old speedos go,they lose accurcy after time,if you change your rim for lets say alloys and bigger tyres,this affects readings,as any tyres place and also stands too reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

i dont agree,i know off the record what the targets are, and if off the record,wont be said or corrected,as far as old speedos go,they lose accurcy after time,if you change your rim for lets say alloys and bigger tyres,this affects readings,as any tyres place and also stands too reason

You know what you've heard from third parties, I know what I know as it is my job to know, others on this forum know my credentials. Trust me there are NO ticket quotas in An Garda Siochana.

With regard the wheel size, the speed as I've already said is taken from the differential, The only way your speed will be off is if you incorrectly change your tire size. for example if you go from 215/60/16 wheels and tires to 17" wheels? 215/55/17 tires it will be within 1/32" of a difference, which means the same overall diameter. However if you put tyres on the car which are larger say 215/60/17 (not advised by car manufacturers), then there will be a very slight difference which will be more than covered by the speedometer offset.

foinse wrote: »
    You know what you've heard from third parties, I know what I know as it is my job to know, others on this forum know my credentials. Trust me there are NO ticket quotas in An Garda Siochana.

With regard the wheel size, the speed as I've already said is taken from the differential, The only way your speed will be off is if you incorrectly change your tire size. for example if you go from 215/60/16 wheels and tires to 17" wheels? 215/55/17 tires it will be within 1/32" of a difference, which means the same overall diameter. However if you put tyres on the car which are larger say 215/60/17 (not advised by car manufacturers), then there will be a very slight difference which will be more than covered by the speedometer offset.

all these factors depending on rim size or weather you make smaller or bigger depends on tyre you put on,this can make a difference as i have seen it several times,but i still think a couple of kms over limit is ok ,but 10 or more is not
    and if you connected with garda,then i probably know you ,maybe

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I don't know about you, but I was driving 55 in the 60km/h zone where I saw that van last night. There is no need whatsoever to label posters here as "delinquent". Get off your high horse.

Stick to your speedometer reading and you won't get done for speeding. Its as simple as that. If you can't manage to do that, then get a car with cruise control or simply stop driving. As for the speed limits, they are set down by others in authority, not by you in your own head. If time is so important for you in getting from A to B, then change where you live to move closer to B, or get up earlier in the morning to give more time to get to B. Bottom line here is that there is no excuse for speeding, you are putting other road users in danger. If you wanna kill yourself, go ahead punk, but don't do it on a public road, and tell your family to have a low key funeral for you.

Stick to your speedometer reading and you won't get done for speeding. Its as simple as that.

I was told the other day by a Garda of how to get around it even if you are done and he has done it 3 times already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Mc Love wrote: »
    I was told the other day by a Garda of how to get around it even if you are done and he has done it 3 times already.

PM please!

• Advertisement

Stick to your speedometer reading and you won't get done for speeding. Its as simple as that. If you can't manage to do that, then get a car with cruise control or simply stop driving. As for the speed limits, they are set down by others in authority, not by you in your own head. If time is so important for you in getting from A to B, then change where you live to move closer to B, or get up earlier in the morning to give more time to get to B. Bottom line here is that there is no excuse for speeding, you are putting other road users in danger. If you wanna kill yourself, go ahead punk, but don't do it on a public road, and tell your family to have a low key funeral for you.

All of your posts in this thread have been sanctimonious and patronising. If you can't post in the spirit of this thread, then don't post in it at all. Consider this an official warning.

zuroph wrote: »
    PM please!

PM -> sent :D

Insect,

I disagree. I'm offering helpful advice to people who are vulnerable to speeding. I don't think those who speed realise that its very very dangerous. I think road deaths are still really high here - we're making progress over the last few years but the culture of speeding needs to be eradicated. I see dangerous driving on the road nearly everyday. These motorists are putting other people's lives at risk, do you not understand that?

I don't want to see anyone die needlessly. My comment about the funerals comes from that advert on tv a few years ago where a glamourous funeral with teenage girls huddles together crying outside the church where a speeder/dangerous driver was 'honoured'. This advert didn't change behaviour. What's changed the behaviour of most motorists is enforcement and this should be encouraged and people who like to speed should not be sneekily changing their behaviour only when they encounter a speed trap.

your pushing it with forum rules with this post,i also feel your too rigid,a mile or 2 over the limit is ok but 10 miles is too much,

Insect,

I disagree. I'm offering helpful advice to people who are vulnerable to speeding. I don't think those who speed realise that its very very dangerous. I think road deaths are still really high here - we're making progress over the last few years but the culture of speeding needs to be eradicated. I see dangerous driving on the road nearly everyday. These motorists are putting other people's lives at risk, do you not understand that?

I don't want to see anyone die needlessly. My comment about the funerals comes from that advert on tv a few years ago where a glamourous funeral with teenage girls huddles together crying outside the church where a speeder/dangerous driver was 'honoured'. This advert didn't change behaviour. What's changed the behaviour of most motorists is enforcement and this should be encouraged and people who like to speed should not be sneekily changing their behaviour only when they encounter a speed trap.
    now your going over the top ,i think everyone know what real speeding does,not couple miles over a limit,this post a drama post and going off the topic

Speeding doesnt kill - its the incompetent fool behind the wheel that does!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

60kph; perfectly safe. 63 kph; attempted murder. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Infraction given to LimerickBishop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

zuroph wrote: »
    PM please!
    +1 PM for me too please. Mr Goingpostal and his lead boot needs all the help he can get!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

I can understand speed limits on a bendy country road or in a built-up urban area with kids playing, but getting two points on my driving licence for 3 years for doing 58km/h in a 50km/h zone, and getting two more penalty points for doing 115km/h on a 100km/h dual carriageway, sucks some serious liathroidi. While every day I cycle around Limerick City on my little bike and spot countless pots of toss driving around built-up urban areas having conversations of life-and-death importance on their "smart"-phones. Ho-hum. Someone else has probably pointed this out already, but in order for the government and "GO-SAFE" to break even on their nice little earner, they need to generate 40million euro's worth of fines. That is 500,000 speeding tickets. So they have a vested interest in making sure people keep speeding. One way to do that would be to set the speed limits irritatingly low......

Advertisement