Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where have you spotted the camera vans!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

I............doing 58km/h in a 50km/h zone, and getting two more penalty points for doing 115km/h on a 100km/h ......

Not having a go at you but you're breaking the speed limit by about 16% hardly an insignicant amount. The breaking distance for a speed of 50kph is 23 meters while in increases to 36 meters is you were doing 60kph - a huge increase in the breaking distance for such a small in crease in speed.

BTW, I have a heavy shoe too but have tried to reduce my speed in built up areas since attending a safety seminar which was attended by Sgt Jim McAllisater of the garda traffic corp, he showed some very disturbing photos and stats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

phog wrote: »
    Not having a go at you but you're breaking the speed limit by about 16% hardly an insignicant amount. The breaking distance for a speed of 50kph is 23 meters while in increases to 36 meters is you were doing 60kph - a huge increase in the breaking distance for such a small in crease in speed.

BTW, I have a heavy shoe too but have tried to reduce my speed in built up areas since attending a safety seminar which was attended by Sgt Jim McAllisater of the garda traffic corp, he showed some very disturbing photos and stats.

According to this website, the numbers are a bit different, but the same rule applies and your point stands. Under dry conditions, it takes an extra 8.4 metres (an increase of 35%) to stop at 60km/h than at 50km/h, and under wet conditions, it takes an extra 13.3 metres(an increase of 38%) to stop when you are going at 60km/h rather than at 50km/h. That is a large difference in braking distance for what seems a small increase in speed. I stand corrected! However, I still think that the very notion of a speed limit on dual-carriageways and motorways is dumb, when those roads are designed for speed and vulnerable road users (cyclists, pedestrians, bandits on horseback) are banned from using them.

When I learnt to drive it was in a Bedford rigid truck, one day I was driving along a road and spotted a mattress on the road, mentally, I decided on my return I'd approch it at the maximum permissible speed and then brake as my front wheels touched the mattress, (I nearly killed the instructor by him flying forward - no safety belts in those days), we got out to check the braking distance and while I cant remember the measurment I was shocked at how far the truck had travelled before coming to a stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

I So they have a vested interest in making sure people keep speeding. One way to do that would be to set the speed limits irritatingly low......

Speed limits are set by local government, so Limerick City Council set the speed limits within the city limits, Limerick County Council outside the city limits. Neither organisation have anything to do with catching speeders. I will say that I do agree that Condell Road is ridiculously low speed limit. Given that Dublin Road is much more built up and the speed limit is 10km/hr higher than Condell Road. Then again Dublin Road is in the county and not the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

foinse wrote: »
    Speed limits are set by local government, so Limerick City Council set the speed limits within the city limits, Limerick County Council outside the city limits. Neither organisation have anything to do with catching speeders. I will say that I do agree that Condell Road is ridiculously low speed limit. Given that Dublin Road is much more built up and the speed limit is 10km/hr higher than Condell Road. Then again Dublin Road is in the county and not the city.

They don't man the vans that take the photos, but they are part of the governmental apparatus/Public-Private Partnership that is coining it with these new vans. To say that the Council's who set the speed limits have nothing to do with catching speeders is a bit of a stretch. If they define what "speeding" is in the first place, then they have something to do with catching speeders. At the very least they will be amenable to pressure to set speed limits on the low side on a road where many easy catches can be made. The Condell Road is a case in point. Between the Clonmacken Roundabout and the Coonagh Roundabout, the limit is 60km/h, which is too low for that stretch of road which has very wide hard shoulders for cyclists or pedestrians. It also has a big space you can stick one of those vans, at the perfect curve in the road, so you won't see it till it is too late. A guy I know who lives nearby says that he sees a van in there regularly. And try doing 50km/h all the way between the Clonmacken Roundabout and the Shannon Bridge. I am sure that this farcical situation has been identified and replicated throughout the country. Of course, I have no evidence to buttress my conspiracy theories, apart from 33 years of observing how this country is run by the political establishment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭LimerickBishop

No one died on the roads over the weekend. This is great news. Look what proper enforcement achieves. Please continue to drive within the speed limits at all locations, not just the ones you believe speed cameras are located.

http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=138

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

No one died on the roads over the weekend. This is great news. Look what proper enforcement achieves. Please continue to drive within the speed limits at all locations, not just the ones you believe speed cameras are located.

http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=138

You seem to have forgotten this:
    All of your posts in this thread have been sanctimonious and patronising. If you can't post in the spirit of this thread, then don't post in it at all. Consider this an official warning.

Drop the crusade.

Insect Overlord,

Please explain to my how my remarks are sanctimonious and patronising.

I'm pointing out the bloody obvious. Its a great news story, would you not agree?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Insect Overlord,

Please explain to my how my remarks are sanctimonious and patronising.

I'm pointing out the bloody obvious. Its a great news story, would you not agree?

You have berated (unfairly) many people on this thread by surmising in an accusatory manner that they were speeding when they have posted here to report a sighting of a van.

highlydebased,

I most certainly have not berated anyone unfairly. I have not personalised my argument. When I use the word 'you', I use it in the plural sense, so I hope that clarifies any misunderstanding.

I'm trying to get to the heart of the matter. I'm trying to understand why 'some' people wish to disregard speed limits and obey them at locations where the speed limit is enforced. Can you shed any light on this? Are certain people genetically programmed to 'disregard' the law? Why do some people feel compelled to speed, knowing full well the consequences of impacting on a pedestrian/cyclist/motorcyclist/motorist at a higher speed can make all the difference between death and serious injury or between serious injury and light injury?

Do some people see a valid trade off between exceeding the speed limit with a certain amount of acceptable road deaths/casualties?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

highlydebased,

I most certainly have not berated anyone unfairly. I have not personalised my argument. When I use the word 'you', I use it in the plural sense, so I hope that clarifies any misunderstanding.

I'm trying to get to the heart of the matter. I'm trying to understand why 'some' people wish to disregard speed limits and obey them at locations where the speed limit is enforced. Can you shed any light on this? Are certain people genetically programmed to 'disregard' the law? Why do some people feel compelled to speed, knowing full well the consequences of impacting on a pedestrian/cyclist/motorcyclist/motorist at a higher speed can make all the difference between death and serious injury or between serious injury and light injury?

Do some people see a valid trade off between exceeding the speed limit with a certain amount of acceptable road deaths/casualties?

Take that debate to the Motors forum. This thread is not the place for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

Not all speed limits are appropriate for the conditions. Many people on this thread feel aggrieved by the placement of speed cameras on extremely safe stretches of roads where it is inconceivable that any accident could ever occur. Such locations include the Condell Road, the Ennis Road and the Caherdavin exit of the N18. I would like to think that the majority of posters here are responsible and safe drivers. I personally do not speed. However it is useful to know the locations of some of these cameras, particularly those located in 50km zones, as it is easy for a person to forget the limits in these areas and cruise along at 55km-60km.

Accidents can and will occur. I don't think speed cameras are a solution to this. Don't forget that speed isn't the only factor in accidents. Alcohol, fatigue and carelessness can all cause accidents. Believe it or not, I have observed slow drivers causing needless accidents (taking off too slowly at junctions and roundabouts can cause accidents). One of the most common reasons for failing a driving test is the failure to make progress (i.e. drive at an appropriate speed and not hold up traffic).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Righto so. Back on topic:

There is a funky new 2011 Baby Blue one parked outside the Newport Nursing Home. Frankly you'd be hard pushed to miss it in that colour.

BESman,

Not trying to be patronising here, just helpful, so here's a link to speed limits;

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/roads_and_safety/road_traffic_speed_limits_in_ireland.html

As a rule of thumb, if you are in doubt of what the speed is, ask yourself are you in an urban area or rural area.

You make some good points, and I do not wish to tar anyone here with any brush.
    However, Condell Road has cycle lanes on both sides, ask yourself how you would feel if cars were travelling past you on your bike at a higher speed. Also, pedestrians use the path and parks, ask yourself is fast traffic conducive to their enjoyment of the facilities.
    Alcohol intoxication, fatigue and carelessness can all lead to speeding which leads to more collisions and more deadly collisions in particular. For example, if you've taken a few drinks, you may get into a car and say to yourself I'm not gonna drive faster than 60kmph. That's fine in the 60kmph as you're not speeding. However you enter into a 50kmph zone, yet because you haven't noticed the new zone due to your impairment due to alcohol, you are now speeding at 60kmph, and can't stop the car in a safe distance if a child runs out onto the road after a ball. The same applies to fatigue and carelessness.

Anyways, I hope I made my point. I just hope we all can contribute in lowering our death rate on the roads. I won't bother posting here anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Righto so. Back on topic:

There is a funky new 2011 Baby Blue one parked outside the Newport Nursing Home. Frankly you'd be hard pushed to miss it in that colour.

saw that,funny do,its normally other side traffic have more speed coming from work,funny how its always when people are comming home,looked like they got the van waxed nice too :D:D:D:D

BESman,

Not trying to be patronising here, just helpful, so here's a link to speed limits;

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/roads_and_safety/road_traffic_speed_limits_in_ireland.html

As a rule of thumb, if you are in doubt of what the speed is, ask yourself are you in an urban area or rural area.

You make some good points, and I do not wish to tar anyone here with any brush.
    However, Condell Road has cycle lanes on both sides, ask yourself how you would feel if cars were travelling past you on your bike at a higher speed. Also, pedestrians use the path and parks, ask yourself is fast traffic conducive to their enjoyment of the facilities.
    Alcohol intoxication, fatigue and carelessness can all lead to speeding which leads to more collisions and more deadly collisions in particular. For example, if you've taken a few drinks, you may get into a car and say to yourself I'm not gonna drive faster than 60kmph. That's fine in the 60kmph as you're not speeding. However you enter into a 50kmph zone, yet because you haven't noticed the new zone due to your impairment due to alcohol, you are now speeding at 60kmph, and can't stop the car in a safe distance if a child runs out onto the road after a ball. The same applies to fatigue and carelessness.

Anyways, I hope I made my point. I just hope we all can contribute in lowering our death rate on the roads. I won't bother posting here anymore.

bishop,you have repeated this several times,people here say where they see camera vans,we all have our points of view on this,me= money racket going by where they park and they direction they pointing and they get more than hourly rate specialy when you see what its costing,look at uk,but as i already said ,we all have different views,if i didnt know any better i say your copper or in on this deal,but i could be very wrong

BESman,

Thanks for that.

I was also wondering if you could help me remember which side of the road I am supposed to drive on? I just keep getting it mixed up, gosh darnit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,526 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Did anyone see any vans on Bank Holiday Monday?

I drove from Limerick to Carlow via Dungarvan (don't ask!) on Saturday morning, and saw 5 vans on the whole journey.

Driving the same route on Monday (going the other way) I saw none.

Do they work on Bank Holidays? :)

BESman wrote: »
    Not all speed limits are appropriate for the conditions. Many people on this thread feel aggrieved by the placement of speed cameras on extremely safe stretches of roads where it is inconceivable that any accident could ever occur. Such locations include the Condell Road, the Ennis Road and the Caherdavin exit of the N18. I would like to think that the majority of posters here are responsible and safe drivers. I personally do not speed. However it is useful to know the locations of some of these cameras, particularly those located in 50km zones, as it is easy for a person to forget the limits in these areas and cruise along at 55km-60km.

Accidents can and will occur. I don't think speed cameras are a solution to this. Don't forget that speed isn't the only factor in accidents. Alcohol, fatigue and carelessness can all cause accidents. Believe it or not, I have observed slow drivers causing needless accidents (taking off too slowly at junctions and roundabouts can cause accidents). One of the most common reasons for failing a driving test is the failure to make progress (i.e. drive at an appropriate speed and not hold up traffic).

Two points:

- There has been fatalities on the Condell Road
    - I think every driver under examination will travel at under the speed limit, if all of them was to travel at the speed in excess of the permitted speed limit then I'm sure this would be a common cause of failure too.

LimerickBishop given a week off for repeatedly ignoring very clear instructions from 2 moderators.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Obviously couldnt stop in time...

Mr E wrote: »

I drove from Limerick to Carlow via Dungarvan (don't ask!) on Saturday morning, and saw 5 vans on the whole journey.

saw 1 in limerick on saturday passed the jail,thats about it,

I haven't seen any in ages until early this evening and bear in mind I drive around 1200kms per week all over the country.

Mostly N & R roads.

The less the better although I must admit I have slowed down and obeyed limits on N & R roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 114 ✭✭iceax

Mr E wrote: »

I did wonder the same thing .. did a lot of driving as well monday . and i did not see a van in site !!!

phog wrote: »
    Two points:

- There has been fatalities on the Condell Road
    - I think every driver under examination will travel at under the speed limit, if all of them was to travel at the speed in excess of the permitted speed limit then I'm sure this would be a common cause of failure too.

I am really perplexed as to how an accident could occur on the Condell Road, an accident with a fatality no less. This stretch correctly has a limit given its proximity to a major urban and residential area and the pedestrian/cycle lanes but I think the 50km is unsuitable. 80km would be more appropriate in my opinion.

The point about the test is that people tend to drive unnecessarily slow in the test, based on the false belief that this is safe driving and will increase their chances of passing the test. You are to drive at the limit where possible, no more, no less. Everyone knows you fail if you break the limit but its not so well known that failing to keep speed up to the limit will also result in a fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

I am really perplexed as to how an accident could occur on the Condell Road, an accident with a fatality no less.

there has been one fatality on Condel Rd, just after the Clonmacken roundabout heading towards town direction. You can see a memorial cross on the grass verge on the right hand side. Happened about 3 yrs ago in last July. Truck vs car. However, this is the area NOT covered by the gatso vans - makes total sense ya !

Call me cynical but I saw a Garda Traffic Corps Jeep parked on the Sixmilebridge flyover at Setrights on the D/C so people slowed down and then, once passed, sped back up. I figured it was a trap and low and behold around the corner was the "Go Safe" Camera.

Most of the drivers slammed on the brakes causing mass braking hysteria whilst, of course, all fighting to get into the left lane to exit at the Radisson.

I am really perplexed as to how an accident could occur on the Condell Road, an accident with a fatality no less.

Afaik, there has been at least one and possibly two deaths on Condell Rd.
    You are to drive at the limit where possible, no more, no less.

Admittedly, it's been a good few years since I sat a test but where in the ROTR does it say that you drive at the permissible limit?

I've no problem in the locations of the camera vans being hightlighted, in general, I've no great problem with drivers that insist in breaking the speed limit being fined (as long as it's not me ;)).

2 things that annoys me

- is the likes of I've heard of a friend of a friend being fined for drving at speeds of of 2 or 3 K/p/h over the permissible limit, if this is the case then that seems to me to be too fine a line.
    - people that are caught speeding always think it's someone elses fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭allimac

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Call me cynical but I saw a Garda Traffic Corps Jeep parked on the Sixmilebridge flyover at Setrights on the D/C so people slowed down and then, once passed, sped back up. I figured it was a trap and low and behold around the corner was the "Go Safe" Camera.

Most of the drivers slammed on the brakes causing mass braking hysteria whilst, of course, all fighting to get into the left lane to exit at the Radisson.
    That exit is lethal,definitely should have two lanes.It's only a matter of time till there is a major accident with two lanes of speeding traffic trying to get into one lane and just after a fairly bad bend in the road as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭daca88

just saw one coming from Shannon, limerick bound, just before the the road splits to go towards the tunnel and the caherdavin exit. was possibly caught doing 110km but i saw it and slowed down so i dunno. bummer if i did but i was over the limit

Advertisement