Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where have you spotted the camera vans!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

phog wrote: »
    Surely, that only if people are ignoring the speed limit.

heading towards Ivans you are coming downhill from the Clarion Suites and GAA grounds and hard to stay under limit without braking the whole way.

saw the gatso setting up there the other day and he appeared to be calibrating the equipment - anyone know does this have to be done at each location or what. He had van doors open and appeared to be checking distances, etc. Secondly, whats the distance range you can get caught from (ie 100m away, 50m ??)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

heading towards Ivans you are coming downhill from the Clarion Suites and GAA grounds and hard to stay under limit without braking the whole way.

saw the gatso setting up there the other day and he appeared to be calibrating the equipment - anyone know does this have to be done at each location or what. He had van doors open and appeared to be checking distances, etc. Secondly, whats the distance range you can get caught from (ie 100m away, 50m ??)

Difficult it might be but not even close to being impossible and I doubt you'd need to brake the whole way from the Clarion to past the Gaelic Grounds just to keep under 50kph. At this stage anyone who is caught there deserves to be caught as it is now recoginsed as being a speed trap area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

But it isnt an accident blackspot...as they initially said this was the reason they are rolling them out

Mc Love wrote: »
    But it isnt an accident blackspot...as they initially said this was the reason they are rolling them out

Is it on their site as a route that the van may operate on?

Either way, a cop car/bike can do you for speeding there anyway, why all the noise about where these vans pull in? Most roads at this stage have reasonably notice of the speed limit, it's surely up to the driver to adhere to that speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

phog wrote: »
    Surely, that only if people are ignoring the speed limit.

I use my cruise control and due to the fact that its going downhill car actually goes faster than 50km so have to watch the speedo. Its too easy to go over it as thesimpsons pointed out.

I dont speed but it too easy to go over 50km.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Try 30km/h in Dublin!! Very hard to concentrate on speed and all the Dublin drivers, cyclists, pedestrians, ignorant bus and taxi drivers.

Contrary of course to the perfect drivers opinions who will try to pick my comments apart.

Berty wrote: »
    Contrary of course to the perfect drivers opinions who will try to pick my comments apart.

Its okay, this isnt the Motors forum :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Try 30km/h in Dublin!! Very hard to concentrate on speed and all the Dublin drivers, cyclists, pedestrians, ignorant bus and taxi drivers.

I didn't realise that 30km limit was still there. wow, thats a tough one to keep under I'd imagine alot of times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Friday morning 8am outside newport in front of nursing home on the way into limerick. I know its north tipp but its a lk commuter town.

yankinlk wrote: »
    Friday morning 8am outside newport in front of nursing home on the way into limerick. I know its north tipp but its a lk commuter town.

It was there until just after 12.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I've stuck to doin 60 on the Condell road,and I've been overtaken/undertaken by people,including a Micra!

Again... :)

I was actually doing about 60 today in the 50 zone on my way out of town and some fella in a 1990's carina came right up behind me,tailgated me for about 2 minutes and then overtook me.
    He then proceeded to force the next car into the hard shoulder so he could overtake!

By the time he got to the Clonmacken roundabout I think he was lost and he was barely moving going through the roundabout.Do people not realise it's a 50kph zone or what?Very dangerous road to be overtaking imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭allimac

There was one on Mulgrave st all night tonight near Leonards garage,saw him first about 9.30 pm still there when I passed later around 2.30 am.

What?? Thats a crazy place to put one...are they just putting them anywhere and everywhere now?

What?? Thats a crazy place to put one...are they just putting them anywhere and everywhere now?

They will be otherwise they would have just installed GATSOS like the UK.

No,just anywhere they can make money.:(

I spotted the blue one this morning in the fog on Mulgrave Street. It was across from Tobacco land in a line of parked cars.

As I was driving towards it I noticed the LED sign that tells you your speed was turned off. I thought "wouldn't it be ironic if there was a speed camera van ahead". There it was hiding in between the parked cars.

It didn't have a parking disc in the window or on the dashboard so shouldn't have been there anyway.

So Upper Mulgrave Street is a black spot then?

Find it yourself. The gits changed it from location names to GPS Coordinates.

http://www.garda.ie/Documents/User/Speed%20Collision%20Zones%20as%20of%2013.11.2010%20%28by%20county%29.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

I spotted the blue one this morning in the fog on Mulgrave Street. It was across from Tobacco land in a line of parked cars.

As I was driving towards it I noticed the LED sign that tells you your speed was turned off. I thought "wouldn't it be ironic if there was a speed camera van ahead". There it was hiding in between the parked cars.

It didn't have a parking disc in the window or on the dashboard so shouldn't have been there anyway.

http://www.garda.ie/Documents/User/Speed%20Collision%20Zones%20as%20of%2013.11.2010%20%28by%20county%29.pdf

I spotted it there too this morning around 8.30am. The speed check before it was working when I went past, had registered my speed at 44km/h so don't think I was speeding which is very easy to do on that stretch.

http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=6497
    This has a map where you can zoom in with a red line if its one of their speed - sorry safety cameras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Red Transit back outside O' Mara's this evening- have not seen it in a while.

That Speed check sign was working when I passed there this mnorning around 8.00 and again tonight around 20:00hrs. Also, balckspot or no balckspot it's highlighted on the map of their posiible locations.

BTW, should anyone be speeding in the fog?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

There is often one near Ballyneety on the Bruff side, I've seen it twice in recent weeks, last Monday being the most recent (red Transit again).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Anyone caught speeding in the fog deserves to be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

http://www2.aaireland.ie/routes_beta/

Shows all camera locations! Just search from limerick to dublin and then click "show safety camera" and it shows in red every single stretch that they are allowed to monitor.

Handy for planning a trip so you know where to be extra careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

saw one outside newport few days ago at nursing home,see one there at least once a week

On Mulgrave st all night last night in front of tobaccoland,a red one but he had his parking lights on so he was pretty obvious.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭manna452121

On the Condell rd at 8.10 in the fog.

On the Condell rd at 8.10 in the fog.

Thank god I didnt come out that way so! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭bantee

Forgot to write it up at the time but spotted one outside the Charleville Park Hotel on the main Limerick/Cork Rd 2 weeks ago.

It was aimed towards Charleville town and was hard to spot as it was after a turn in the road in a 60km zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Dumdum McCarthy

Is it possible somebody who is well able to use computers and this site to make a list of locations where the vans were actually spotted.My idea is a list of all d places in one post and any new places spotted we just quote the list and add the new place.In this way it will make it alot easier to see where these vans are.People will ask why i dont do it? i am not good on computers or typing.
    Example:

Condell rd between coonagh and clondrinagh roundabout

Entrance Corbally soccer pitch

Ennis rd outside o mara motors

and so on.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Is it possible somebody who is well able to use computers and this site to make a list of locations where the vans were actually spotted.My idea is a list of all d places in one post and any new places spotted we just quote the list and add the new place.In this way it will make it alot easier to see where these vans are.People will ask why i dont do it? i am not good on computers or typing.
    Example:

Condell rd between coonagh and clondrinagh roundabout

Entrance Corbally soccer pitch

Ennis rd outside o mara motors

and so on.

Thanks

Go crazy

http://www.trapster.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Dumdum McCarthy

This thread is named subscribed.gifWhere have you spotted the camera vans!

There is another thread (Gatso Vans)where people can ask about what range cameras work at,weather they work in fog or at night.

As this thread (subscribed.gifWhere have you spotted the camera vans!)has now 14 pages the easist solution might have been making an updated full list of places.As i said,somebody else might do a list,thx for your help with trapster, but a mod has already comented on this site already here.The easist thing from somebody from limerick is to look at list in the afore mentioned name of thread above. I can count u out testtransmission.Many thanks.

Advertisement