Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where have you spotted the camera vans!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Instead of scouring the roadside ahead for suspicious vans, downloading data to my GPS, looking up the Garda site and reading this thread for updates, I find it easier to drive at the posted speed. Maybe I'm a bit odd though...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

I have to say that while I do firmly believe these vans are more cash cows than about real road safety, (grudgingly) credit must go where it's due. Yesterday I saw fixed signs outside Ballinacarrow and Rathcormack in Sligo and Bundoran in Donegal, all three areas are notorious for being speed traps. If they've put up signage to remind people that there's most likely going to be a camera van and you still get caught then you really don't have any excuse.
    I drive all over the country with work and have yet to spot these kinds of signs anywhere else (nor do I seem to encounter the vans with the same frequency as I do in Limerick but then again maybe that's just because I'm there most often)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I have seen those signs in Ballincarrow(where I was gatsod - signs erected afterwards). Loads in Roscommon and County Westmeath also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

technically still in clare, but on shannon-limerick dual carriageway, they are setup again this morning not at there usual exit 4 (radisson hotel/city centre) but about 500 metres before that.
    I gave them a big ol wave as i drove by below the limit :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I think I may have been caught by this van this morning :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Clareman wrote: »
    I think I may have been caught by this van this morning :(

so happy I dont drive that road regularly.

first points?welcome to the club :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Anyone on here using any of the smartphone apps to keep track of these? Are they any good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

keane2097 wrote: »
    Anyone on here using any of the smartphone apps to keep track of these? Are they any good?

I had been using trapster but it's gone a bit crazy lately for some reason.Not many were updating it anyway!Just checked the market there,there's a update out so might check that out

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

First points alright, got caught speeding a few times before points came in. I've the app for the location of the traps, but I find that they are just a sat nav that has locations where the camers might be, tecnically they could be anywhere at any time so I figure that the app isn't really much use since the new vans came in.

keane2097 wrote: »

I knew the trap was there, so made sure I had trapster on to check, it definitely showed it, though wasn't loud enough for my liking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

This evening at 18:30 between Mungret and Clarina. Blue van, had moved on when I was passing through later so may be in one of it's other haunts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

alan1990 wrote: »
    I just thought it would be a good idea to start a thread for Limerick people to log where and when they spotted the new speed camera vans around the place. We might be able to spots some trends, most used places and times of day etc.

I spotted one today on the road between Ardnacrusha and Clonlara, just before the bridge into Clonlara village at about 3pm (I know thats Clare not Limerick but its a road that I'm sure people often use!)

Yeah I spotted one there yesterday evening at about 9.30, think it was actually on past the turn for Clonlara, along the road toward Kilaloe, but only about 100 yards further along that road.

I stopped that Navy one today between the Coonagh roundabout and the Industrial est roundabout.

If you were walking along the footpath you would have to walk onto the Dual Carraigeway to get around it.

Obnoxious parking in my opinion and possibly illegal. Parked in the old entrance to the old petrol station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Berty wrote: »
    I stopped that Navy one today between the Coonagh roundabout and the Industrial est roundabout.

If you were walking along the footpath you would have to walk onto the Dual Carraigeway to get around it.

Obnoxious parking in my opinion and possibly illegal. Parked in the old entrance to the old petrol station.

Yeah thats a common spot for it, especially in the evenings. Speed limit is only 60 along there even though its dual carriageway. Catches loads of people I'd say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Berty wrote: »

Well now thats interesting, because I didn't mention it in my post, but the Van I saw in Clonlara was parked half up on a ditch in order to fit on a 2 lane road with no hard shoulder.

sure there must have been a little bit of a space (perhaps a natural type drain or something) but the van was still protruding onto the roadway - on the opposite side of the road from that which I was travelling on.

Whats more, though I eventually did spot it, I notice that the reflectors on these vans, though they seem to be covered in them, are quite dim. Clearly so as not to alert drivers of the location of a van, until it is too late to slow down. - I didn't spot the van until I was about 50 yards from it. Now that's a problem. Granted one might say had i had my full lights on I may have seen it earlier, but thats not always going to be possible, as was the case that night, when there was a car further up the road coming toward me, I couldn't use my full lights.

If the concern is to not give away the location of a van until it is too late to reduce your speed, but then also to park in hazardous areas in order to catch people speeding on 2-lane country roads, which clearly was where that van was parked, then there is a bit of a problem in achieving the purpose these vans are supposed to achieve, i.e. safer roads and safer driving.

Well now thats interesting, because I didn't mention it in my post, but the Van I saw in Clonlara was parked half up on a ditch in order to fit on a 2 lane road with no hard shoulder.

sure there must have been a little bit of a space (perhaps a natural type drain or something) but the van was still protruding onto the roadway - on the opposite side of the road from that which I was travelling on.

Whats more, though I eventually did spot it, I notice that the reflectors on these vans, though they seem to be covered in them, are quite dim. Clearly so as not to alert drivers of the location of a van, until it is too late to slow down. - I didn't spot the van until I was about 50 yards from it. Now that's a problem. Granted one might say had i had my full lights on I may have seen it earlier, but thats not always going to be possible, as was the case that night, when there was a car further up the road coming toward me, I couldn't use my full lights.

If the concern is to not give away the location of a van until it is too late to reduce your speed, but then also to park in hazardous areas in order to catch people speeding on 2-lane country roads, which clearly was where that van was parked, then there is a bit of a problem in achieving the purpose these vans are supposed to achieve, i.e. safer roads and safer driving.

The ditch has been partially removed anbd tarmac laid in that spot, I always thought it was for the bungalow opposite but now I think it was for the camera van.

I wonder how many more of these will be provided along roads like this.

I travelled 500 or so kms today and saw 5 speed camera vans. From Roscommon up as far as Longford and Mullingar there are always permanent signs alerting you to their location. I have no issue with any of the vans until 10 minutes ago on Mulgrave Street parked outside Tobaccoland ish area.

Surely they must adhere to parking regulations as well and have a parking ticket? Waste of time to be parked there right now as traffic was barely moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

Was going to work monday morning for 7 and as you come down along ennis road pass out gaelic grounds and right opposite the petrol station the red transit was there!!

Went on my break at 11 and it was gone!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

There's a red Renault Master on Mulgrave St., just above Tobaccoland right now. It's one of those ones that's well marked, but it's parked up and there's cars in front and behind which disguise the decals on the van until you're right up at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Nwm2

Road from Clonlara to Killaloe yesterday.

On the entrance to Killaloe.

Catching people rushing to make the parade.

Parked safely I thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Think I passed one on the main Limerick to Cork road tonight around 1.15am. Was on the Cork side of Banogue just outside the 50km zone but saw it late due to being dark. Was red and definitely had decals on and parking lights were on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

red van is out at the usual spot just before caherdavin exit again today,

Anyone worried about whether they were caught or not can check here. Just enter your car registration and if there is data on your vehicle and you want to know who the driver was then click on the camera window to see a copy of the photograph.
    Speed Cameras are a common part of every day life and serve to deter the motorist from speeding in areas with high accident rates.
    Following deregulation of information, you can now check online to see if you have any impending Speeding tickets coming your way. The system is completely free and easy to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

phog wrote: »
    Anyone worried about whether they were caught or not can check here. Just enter your car registration and if there is data on your vehicle and you want to know who the driver was then click on the camera window to see a copy of the photograph.

You sir are an absolute bollix!!

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pugw

You f*cker! You nearly gave me a heart attack!! :eek: Are those vans ye'r talking about marked with the speed camera sign? I thought all the vans were white :(

Mc Love wrote: »
    You sir are an absolute bollix!!

:D

What's your car reg so that we can check your photo :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭allimac

What's your car reg so that we can check your photo :D
    Hands up.Hook,line and sinker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Passed one doing 130 this morning :)