Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project Fi.G.H.T.S. Ep. 4: CvS2, 22.01.2010

Options
  • 19-12-2010 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭

Project Fi.G.H.T.S. Episode 4: Clash of the New Age of the Ultimate All-Star Millionaire Super Heroes of the Millenium to Decide the Destiny of Two Worlds 2011: Chaos

projectfightsep4640.jpg

You probably know by now that because of various problems the 3S tourney couldn't go ahead yesterday. It's been put back to the 15th of January, with this set for the following week in order to preserve the monthly schedule. It'd be a bit silly to leave it until there's one week to go to announce this, though, so I've decided to go ahead and announce it now.

Tournament format is groups into a double elimination bracket.
    All matches in the bracket will be best two out of three games.
    Button binding is OK.
    Shin Akuma/Ultimate Rugal are banned: other than that, character selection is completely free.
    This tournament will hopefully be held on the Japanese PS2 version at the default speed and using Ratio Match mode: in the event that the Japanese version is unavailable, we will use the European version running at maximum speed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Cloudpaul

Rah, I wonder if that's the week I'm off? Hopefully, I wouldn't want to miss this!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I have 2 PAL copies of CvS2 (PS2) available, so can bring those.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I have 2 PAL copies of CvS2 (PS2) available, so can bring those.

PAL copies run at a different speed than either American or Japanese copies, generally a fair amount slower. It's quite noticeable. The nearest on PAL you can get is if you put it to speed 4 and then it's noticeably faster than US/JP. :/

I have a Japanese copy (lol, it's actually Vaughan's). If I'm not going to make it to this one I'll give you the game on the Tuesday prior to the tournament. You can run it on the 'slayers PS2 with swapmagic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

Cloudpaul wrote: »
    The nearest on PAL you can get is if you put it to speed 4 and then it's noticeably faster than US/JP. :/

I'm not too sure about that:
    --------------
    SPEED SETTINGS
    --------------

Speed 3 is default, so everything will compared to that.

Speed 1 = 80% of speed 3's speed.
    Speed 2 = 93.6%
    Speed 3 = 100%
    Speed 4 = 106.4%
    Speed 5 = 120%

http://www.gamefaqs.com/arcade/562704-capcom-vs-snk-2/faqs/24355

This would suggest that PAL Speed 5 = NTSC Speed 3. I'll have to test this once I can get my hands on an NTSC copy.

Yreval wrote: »
    This would suggest that PAL Speed 5 = NTSC Speed 3. I'll have to test this once I can get my hands on an NTSC copy.

Perhaps it's speed 5 I'm thinking of then, this is information I read years ago so my memory could be a little off but I'm sure that as standard PAL is alot slower than NTSC. If the difference in speeds are the same in the PAL version then yeah, speed 5 should technically bring it up to speed I think.

Like I said though, you can grab the NTSC copy and not have to bother with all the fuss (providing you can get another too, shouldn't be TOO hard).

• Advertisement

PAL = 50Hz
    NTSC = 60Hz

I'm not a math major.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Doesn't the PAL version of CVS2 have a 60Hz mode?

Then it wouldn't matter what version you use as long as the TV/Monitor can run at 60Hz.

Then it wouldn't matter what version you use as long as the TV/Monitor can run at 60Hz.

That's the problem - it doesn't. Might have been the last game Capcom released here without such a mode.

I'm also looking into the possibility of unbanning Evil Ryu:

http://neoempire.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6042

Jesus Christ.
    You Northern guys and your "rules".

Here's how we do it down South:
    "Is it cheap?"
    YES/NO

If YES
    --eh, whatever
    If NO
    --eh, whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Kiki those rules for CvS2 are fairly well set in stone. giving out about them is like giving out about an Akuma ban from ST.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Vyze

Gonna be in London rocking out instead of playing Crapcom V SNGay 2, hells yeah!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Vyze wrote: »
    Gonna be in London rocking out instead of playing Crapcom V SNGay 2, hells yeah!

Inb4 "Oh **** gaiz I'm stranded at teh airports!" :pac:

Sadly not. The game is set to 50Hz.
    That's the problem - it doesn't. Might have been the last game Capcom released here without such a mode.

I'm also looking into the possibility of unbanning Evil Ryu:

http://neoempire.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6042

Do whatever you feel like. Evil Ryu takes damage like a bitch anyway and I doubt it would make a major difference to it if he was usable. Blood Riot Iori is also very squishy, overall both characters aren't as strong as some of the legal characters already in the game, such as Sagat.
    K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Jesus Christ.
    You Northern guys and your "rules".

Here's how we do it down South:
    "Is it cheap?"
    YES/NO

If YES
    --eh, whatever
    If NO
    --eh, whatever

Do you bother to read up about games? If you did then you'd know why those rules are there and it sure as hell isn't anything to do with us "Northern guys". Orim's post gives the perfect "ST Akuma" example. Oh hey guys, let's let people use unlimited characters in BlazBlue, or gold characters in Guilty Gear!

Rules are placed in tournaments for a reason. They create balance. In every competition there are rules, be it for games, for sports or for anything else. Get used to that.

Cloudpaul wrote: »
    Do you bother to read up about games? If you did then you'd know why those rules are there and it sure as hell isn't anything to do with us "Northern guys". Orim's post gives the perfect "ST Akuma" example. Oh hey guys, let's let people use unlimited characters in BlazBlue, or gold characters in Guilty Gear!

Rules are placed in tournaments for a reason. They create balance. In every competition there are rules, be it for games, for sports or for anything else. Get used to that.
    I think they're still salty over CXC. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I'm surprised not to see any mention of the Gamecube version here.

I have it, and if you hold the B button on the GCN while you turn it on, you can manually set the console to output at 50hz or 60hz.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I'm surprised not to see any mention of the Gamecube version here.

I have it, and if you hold the B button on the GCN while you turn it on, you can manually set the console to output at 50hz or 60hz.

Gamecube and Xbox versions have major differences from the arcade/PS2/DC release.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Ah, righto.

Found a FAQ on Gamefaqs that explains the differences.

The specific character tweaks sound a bit lazy (5% damage nerf to the top tier), but I can see how roll cancel removal would basically make it an entirely different game.

I wonder do any CvS2 players actually like the GCN/Xbox version?

In theory it actually sounds kind of cool to have the option to play two very similar but fundamentally different versions of a game you like.

People play fighting games on Gamecube?

After thinking about it some more, I see no real reason to ban Evil Ryu, so he's in. Orochi Iori is a bit iffy (builds meter like crazy) but this isn't exactly Evo so for now he's in as well.

After thinking about it some more, I see no real reason to ban Evil Ryu, so he's in. Orochi Iori is a bit iffy (builds meter like crazy) but this isn't exactly Evo so for now he's in as well.

He may build meter and he is still stupidly strong in terms of damage but he's made of paper and dies so easily. He's only really that decent in C-Groove and not many people are going to be good enough to make a difference. Overall he is still not as good as any of the top usable roster.

• Advertisement

Moving this to Tuesday the 25th, as it seems Saturday afternoons are dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Love the picture

Here's the artwork on its own (by the great Kinu Nishimura), if anyone's interested:

tumblrkwxtqfitft1qzp9we.th.jpg

Results:

1. The Truth
    2. Blag
    3. Jarvy
    4. VDeck
    =5. Scavenger XIII
    =5. Ian McTetly
    =7. Yreval
    =7. SADX

Thanks to everyone who entered, and especially Scavenger XIII for lending his stick. Next month's tournament will probably be MvC2 on Tuesday the 15th - I hope to confirm that by the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Hopefully I didn't mess anyone up by disappearing early with my stick, might have gotten away with it since at least Simon and Jarvy were playing pad.

Do you think it would be practical to do signups in advance (like the week before, with last minute signups while getting set up) so the tourney can get underway sooner? Would certainly help me since I have to bugger off early on Tuesdays.

Probably conflicts with others not being able to show up early. :pac:

Hopefully I didn't mess anyone up by disappearing early with my stick, might have gotten away with it since at least Simon and Jarvy were playing pad.

Do you think it would be practical to do signups in advance (like the week before, with last minute signups while getting set up) so the tourney can get underway sooner? Would certainly help me since I have to bugger off early on Tuesdays.

Probably conflicts with others not being able to show up early. :pac:

There weren't any real problems with there only being one stick - I was lucky enough that every match after you left was a stick player against a pad player. We shouldn't have this problem again anytime soon, though, since the next few tournaments (at least) will be on 360 - MvC2 next month, then VF5 and a few SNK games after that, probably.

Advance signups are a good idea - I'll start doing that when I officially announce the MvC2 tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Ian McTetly

5th place master

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

5th place master
    5th place is the only place.

Advertisement