Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Budget Android phones on VF PAYG

• 19-12-2010 8:12pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm not a heavy user so I want to stay on PAYG. Looking at the Vodafone 845 and the Sony X8 Xperia, and have a couple of questions someone here might be able to help with:

1) On the VF site, the 845 is listed as GPS enabled and the X8 is listed as GPS - is there a difference, or is it just inconsistent wording? Would I have to buy something extra for the 845 to use GPS on it?

2) The 845 doesn't appear to have a flash - does the X8 have one?

3) The X8 seems to use an older version of Android compared with the 845 (1.6 compared with 2.1). I don't know anything about Android - will the different versions be an issue?

Anything other important differences between these two phones (aside from the €30 difference)?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭heepie

I was just having a look at:

Vodafone 845 and the Sony Ericsson XPERIA X8

The 845 doesn't have much specific information like CPU speed, etc, but Sony Ericsson looks a very phone all around. Is like with the Vodafone just cut corner where they were able to, like the touch screen. Vodafone is a resistive compare to the capacitive which makes the touch screen feeling much better to my opinion. The resistive touch screen is not as responsive to the touch like the capacitive screen. X8 has a better resolution also.

Android 2.1 is also much better than 1.6. Much faster and more responsive and a lot of the apps don't support 1.6 anymore as it is an old version. Not sure if Vodafone are going to update the OS but don't count on it as mobile providers don't tend to upgrade their OS's, they prefer for you to buy a new phone instead.

The only thing I seeing better on the Vodafone is the internal memory but other than that X8 is a clear winner.

Good luck and welcome to the android club

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Thanks for the feedback. So really the only concern I have then is if I go for the X8 is the older OS. Can a user not update the OS version independent of the network provider?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭heepie

Yes you can, there are plenty of ROM going around with many flavors, just have to find the right for you.

Never changed it on my phone so I'm not sure how hard it is. Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

If the camera is an issue for you, the X8 does not have a flash. WHile the image quality is ok outside in daylight, indoors even with the lights on it's a pile of poo.

And it as no configuration options to speak of.

2.1 is coming according to Vodafone but I'm not holding my breath for it.

The X8 also comes with a 2GB memory card in the box on VF

Advertisement