Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Muslim only response requests...

• 19-12-2010 8:23pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As I just posted in Christianity, I'm very uncomfortable with the idea of "Muslim only responses" in OP's or Subject lines. I'm opening up a discussion about it but as things stand this is not something we want to see on Boards.

I understand you want a peacful place to discuss your faith and you want respect and thats fine. I'm all for that.

But what I am not for is the premptive banishing of the majority of the world from the discussion. This is Boards.ie, not Ghetto.ie.

I've opened this up here rather than in Feedback because I wanted to specifically address it with the mods and users here, as I have with Christianity.

DeV.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

I would agree with the general spirit of DeVore's comment above, if only because a "Muslim only" stipulation would exclude non-Muslims such as myself from contributing to discussions.

That said, there will be times when threads are opened where the OP wants information or comments that only Muslims can provide. For example, the recent thread on this forum asking about the process through which converts to Islam went through would be expected to attract posts mainly from Muslims.

Another recent thread asked for Muslim spirited responses, in an attempt to warn off potential contributors who might hijack the thread. With all due respect to the OP of that thread, it's the moderators' job to try to keep threads on topic and to police content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

DeVore wrote: »
    As I just posted in Christianity, I'm very uncomfortable with the idea of "Muslim only responses" in OP's or Subject lines. I'm opening up a discussion about it but as things stand this is not something we want to see on Boards.

I understand you want a peacful place to discuss your faith and you want respect and thats fine. I'm all for that.

But what I am not for is the premptive banishing of the majority of the world from the discussion. This is Boards.ie, not Ghetto.ie.

I've opened this up here rather than in Feedback because I wanted to specifically address it with the mods and users here, as I have with Christianity.

DeV.

Hi Devore,

Any posts of this nature I've noticed were actually posted by non-Muslims looking for viewpoints from Muslims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I agree with the op for the most part, but some posters who tend to be Non-Muslim do sometimes seek opinions from Muslims specifically, but this shouldn't exclude anyone. Perhaps, a change in terminology for those who seek such responses is needed, so as not to exclude anyone, but at the same time allow them seek Muslim opinions?

Perhaps something along the lines of "Seeking Muslim opinions, but all comments welcome", so as not to exclude people could be used by posters who want Muslim opinions on certain matters.

Of course, it may be better to just drop the matter completely, and not allow such requests, so as to be more inclusive. Ultimately, there should be responses from Muslims, as this is the Islam forum, so there may not be any need for such a request.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I am not a Muslim, yet I live in a Muslim country. As such, I feel I can provide a unique viewpoint from an Irish perspective. Especially when it comes to Western stereotypes of Muslims.

When I see such tread titles, it does annoy me and I don't think it is conducive to enlightened debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 IIIOIII

Well over on the Christianity forum it's now been banned to have Christian/Catholic only threads. What's the deal then on the Islamic forum?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

As I just posted in Christianity, I'm very uncomfortable with the idea of "Muslim only responses" in OP's or Subject lines.

There is no issue with anyone responding. I have seen "... only" response threads, but I haven't seen any arguments arise from people who aren't in that demographic responding.

The only main rule of the forum that may overlap onto this is that if you have a personal issue with Islam then this isn't the forum to advertise that fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 IIIOIII

Hobbes wrote: »
    There is no issue with anyone responding. I have seen "... only" response threads, but I haven't seen any arguments arise from people who aren't in that demographic responding.

The only main rule of the forum that may overlap onto this is that if you have a personal issue with Islam then this isn't the forum to advertise that fact.

Over on the Christianity forum, we've been banned from having Christian/Catholic only thread titles, and that apparently from the forum owner's directives. Is that not the case here too?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Same rules apply here as there. Quit stirring it.

DeV.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

We're trying to convene a solution between the christians, this forum and the admins. I think we will be suggesting a "X POV preferred" tag on the thread but exclusion of any poster, a priori, based on their "race colour or creed" shouldnt be something an open discussion forum should support.

Can I get feedback on that idea, particular from the mods? How would that sit?

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

We're trying to convene a solution between the christians, this forum and the admins. I think we will be suggesting a "X POV preferred" tag on the thread but exclusion of any poster, a priori, based on their "race colour or creed" shouldnt be something an open discussion forum should support.

DeV.

Yeah, that sounds fine to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

DeV.

No problem - I can see the value of posters' indicating that they are seeking responses from a particular sub-set of posters, but not in a way that seems to close the door to other comments. It's up to the moderators to warn off those who seek to hijack serious discussions or otherwise breach the forum charter.

Advertisement