Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If Gerry Ryan had not died

• 19-12-2010 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

For how many more years would 2fm have kept his dated show going? I think it should have been axed years ago.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

rumour has it he faked his own death. he's living in moyross with his mates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It pulled in huge advertising.
    2FM are self funding afaik, they don't need license fee money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

....would the media have anything else to report on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Bunnywabbit

I actually enjoyed listening his show..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭ElasticMan

Well it was certainly better than listening to Ryan Tubridy or the guy who hosts a show on Today Fm at exactly the same time in the mornings and sounds exactly the same as him. I've never listened long enough to catch his name. And as for Ryan, I find him to be horribly patronising, dull, and tries far far too hard to say the right thing all the time that it comes across as disingenuous.

It's gotten so bad that I can't even listen to either of them for the 20 minutes it takes me to drive to college in the morning, I have to bring a constant supply of cd's or I'd go off my rocker.

If I had to listen to Spin South West I'd drive the car into a ditch.

C103 play some good music sometimes but are horribly inconsistent.

Limericks Live 95 are already playing party music at that time in the morning and I can't stomach it.

What does that leave me with? Not much. Listening to Gerry Ryan would be an enormous step-up. They should just cancel Tubridy and play re-runs of Gerry's show everyday instead and be done with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If Gerry Ryan had not died he'd still be regaling his public with tales of excess just not involving cocaine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

If Gerry was still around he'd be telling us about drug dealers being scum and making judgmental and preaching comments on drug users

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭todolist

I miss his show a lot.He was an annoying,smug bastard but he was entertaining and engaging.He's badly missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

ElasticMan wrote: »
    Well it was certainly better than listening to Ryan Tubridy or the guy who hosts a show on Today Fm at exactly the same time in the mornings and sounds exactly the same as him. I've never listened long enough to catch his name. And as for Ryan, I find him to be horribly patronising, dull, and tries far far too hard to say the right thing all the time that it comes across as disingenuous.

It's gotten so bad that I can't even listen to either of them for the 20 minutes it takes me to drive to college in the morning, I have to bring a constant supply of cd's or I'd go off my rocker.

If I had to listen to Spin South West I'd drive the car into a ditch.

C103 play some good music sometimes but are horribly inconsistent.

Limericks Live 95 are already playing party music at that time in the morning and I can't stomach it.

What does that leave me with? Not much. Listening to Gerry Ryan would be an enormous step-up. They should just cancel Tubridy and play re-runs of Gerry's show everyday instead and be done with it.

Prendeville. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

OK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I wasn't a regular listener - but every now and again, I'd catch his show when I was switching from Radio 1 to some other station, and enjoy it. For my part, I miss having an alternative to Radio 1 talk radio hegemony. Don't get me wrong: if I'm in the mood for serious news, I love Pat Kenny; and if I feel like catching up with vaguely relevant chart music, I'll switch on D'Arcy; Tom Dunne gets my vote if I want nice, easygoing radio. But there is nobody on t'radio now who has the same verve and wit as Gerry Ryan.
    Maybe the show was dated - but advertisers seemed to like him...I reckon he could have gone on until he turned 60.
    But what do I know...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,024 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

When he used to start his show some mornings describing the taste while chomping on sausage rolls and custard croissants, this was a real put off for me, I hate gluttony being described on air. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Kunle wrote: »
    For how many more years would 2fm have kept his dated show going? I think it should have been axed years ago.

How was it dated? It's radio so that means either talking or playing music or some combination there-of.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

All of 2fm sounds Dated tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

If Gerry Ryan had not died...

...he'd no doubt still be producing radio that's substandard but slightly better than Joe Duffy and all the other drivel on Irish radio, crowing magnanimous about how he has taken a paycut whilst sharing with the nation all the details of his excessive, gluttonous lifestyle (minus the cocaine stuff, of course).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

Lottie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

On "The last word" now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

miketv wrote: »
    On "The last word" now

damn, I missed Tony Fenton.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Im not to happy with the direction this thread is heading in so I'm closing it off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement