Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proper Bread! I don't believe it!

• 19-12-2010 9:00pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

In lidl in Shannon, went in and there's a little corner in which they bake looks suspiciously like proper continental bread and rolls.
    Was so gobsmacked I had to pick myself off the floor.
    So sick of the muck that passes for bread here...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭firesidechat

Once you picked yourself of the floor did you happen to buy some ?
    How did it taste any different from all the other premixed frozen bread dough that comes out of the ovens from the local centra or spar ?
    Why is this any different ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Well, I had to dust some breadcrumbs off my coat...
    It's proper rye bread. The frozen stuff is Cusine De France it's all right, but it's all white.
    It's nice to get something recognisable after oceans of nothing but white sliced.
    The multi grain is OK, but it's nothing but white with a few seeds in it.
    As for soda bread, it's certainly a traditional Irish bread and nothing wrong with it, but not my cup of tea.
    And as a qualified baker I can tell you it's definitely not muck.
    Yes, I did buy a rye loaf and some pumpkin rolls and they're nice.
    So far I used their bread mixture, which is also quite good, but I'm not always in the mood to prep the breadmaker.
    The Polish bread is certainly something the Poles wouldn't recognise, there is some rye bread for sale in health shops and markets but it's just not right and also quite pricey for what you're getting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

You obviously haven't had any of Coote's bread in Ennis! :)

Best bread in the County sure! Possibly the whole of Munster!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

CptSternn wrote: »
    You obviously haven't had any of Coote's bread in Ennis! :)

Best bread in the County sure! Possibly the whole of Munster!

I reckon Considine's Bakery in Kilrush takes some beating! They bake a lovely Rustic Malt Loaf on Thursdays.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

In lidl in Shannon, went in and there's a little corner in which they bake looks suspiciously like proper continental bread and rolls.
    Was so gobsmacked I had to pick myself off the floor.
    So sick of the muck that passes for bread here...

I got some myself, and it was nice. I thought I overheard one of the staff saying it was only there for a week, which would be daft. Didn't bother to investigate!

• Advertisement

Jim Martin wrote: »
    I reckon Considine's Bakery in Kilrush takes some beating! They bake a lovely Rustic Malt Loaf on Thursdays.

+1

Best bread in Ireland. Nothing beats their Duck Loaf.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I've being avoiding this thread, I love bread but I have a yeast allergy which means I can only eat gluten free stuff, which isn't worth it.

I can't believe no-one has mentioned O'Connors bread, I know their buns and cakes are brilliant, but they do some great breads as well.
    Coote's does lovely bread but Considines in Kilrush would be better imvho, only thing is it doesn't travel well, you really need to eat is as soon as you can once you get it from the shop

Clareman wrote: »
    I've being avoiding this thread, I love bread but I have a yeast allergy which means I can only eat gluten free stuff, which isn't worth it.

I can't believe no-one has mentioned O'Connors bread, I know their buns and cakes are brilliant, but they do some great breads as well.
    Coote's does lovely bread but Considines in Kilrush would be better imvho, only thing is it doesn't travel well, you really need to eat is as soon as you can once you get it from the shop

Well, was just speaking from a continental point of view, these are typical Irish bakeries and that stuff was never my favorite.
    I have tried O'Conners, that's why I was so happy about the lidl bread.
    Foodwise I can cook everything I might miss from home, beer is easy to find, but proper bread is an impossibility here.
    Once brought a loaf the size of a wagon wheel back from home, near 100% rye bread, no added ingredients, all the yeast and inhibitors came from the sour dough. Fabulous, there just isn't anything that comes close to it, I'd nearly fly over purely to buy that bread.
    Was for sale in a small shop in Bavaria that only sells 100% natural, handmade bread with no additives. Most of what they sell there would hardly be recognizable as bread in this country since it is about as dense as the center of a black hole.
    Serious bread, everything else is just mucking about compared to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Cootes bread is yummy. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

So the problem is that you don't like Irish bread you prefer the bread from your home country, if I was to go to Bavaria and say that I thought their bread was muck I'm sure you'd think I was mad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

So the problem is that you don't like Irish bread you prefer the bread from your home country, if I was to go to Bavaria and say that I thought their bread was muck I'm sure you'd think I was mad

Ah now, don't be offended. He never said that Irish bread as such is muck. It's the plastic white stuff which has no nutrional values which is really muck.

The typical Irish brown or soda bread (is there a difference?) can be delicious, but not the stuff you buy in shops. I never liked it, because you have to eat it at once, it's crumbly and tastes too much of soda or baking powder and slightly sweetish.

Recently I've got from a neighbour a homemade loaf of Irish brown bread.
    To die for! Couldn't literally stop eating it, and only with butter, nothing else! It's an old family recipe, she wouldn't give it to anyone :(.

Bread- and cakemaking has a great tradition in Germany. You wouldn't believe the choice you see in a decent German bakery!
    And I'm sure, you wouldn't describe anything as muck if in Bavaria or elswhere in Germany.;)

And I'm equally sure, were you an expat, you would get a culinary orgasm, if you came across a proper Irish soda bread somewhere in Bavaria.

Yes.
    Yes, I would.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I haven't tried the place in Kilrush. Must give it a go. Best one in the county I know of is Unglerts bakery in Ennistymon. Your mans German so it'd probably be right up your street Dr. Fuzzenstein.

Cootes is alright. So is the one down the end of Parnell St. The Bakers oven was OK as well, but that's gone now anyway. Better than supermarket bread but I don't think we really have any spectacular ones anymore. I think O'Connors is downright awful.

Haha.. getting concerned I should create a new username when I'm slandering local business too many people know who I am now.

Best bread in Ennis used be that place opposite O'Briens. It's gone like 15 years now though.

I haven't tried the place in Kilrush. Must give it a go. Best one in the county I know of is Unglerts bakery in Ennistymon. Your mans German so it'd probably be right up your street Dr. Fuzzenstein.

Course! Totally forgot about him!
    Unglerts is savage, not only does decent bread but also a mean, mean chocolate cake.
    What can I say, I just miss the taste of home.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭pedroThePirate

Yes, Lidl do sell nice bread.
    The Ennis Lidl often have remarkably tasty stuff.

And, dr.fuzzenstein is quite correct - In Ireland, we are
    way, way behind Europe in the bread league. All the c**p
    that emanates from Pat the Baker, Brennans ("yesterday's bread,
    tomorrow"), and all their clones, would make a Frenchman or
    a German practically die laughing.

Chris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭bannerbhoy

Unglerts in Ennistymon,you can close the tread now.Always get some bread when ever I`m in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭heathercat

Rumour has it that Lidl in Oranmore is doing the same little baking shop thingy.....

And (hopefully) it's here to stay. I bought the multiseed bread (sour dough is the magic word here) and the pumpkin seed rolls..... pure heaven! The nice thing is, sour dough bread does not go mouldy for a week if kept in a clean cloth bag.

I've been baking my own bread for nearly 2 years now. But it's nice to know that there is an alternative at hand. And since I work in Shannon, it's easy to stop at Lidl on the way home (Ennis).

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Annie201

the best bread in ennis i have tried is O'Connors multi-grain bread or their healthy brown

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Yaahl

Where is Coote's bread in Ennis? I'm somewhat new to town and I don't recall seeing this shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

Must be stale bread by now its over 2 years old!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Yaahl wrote: »
    Where is Coote's bread in Ennis? I'm somewhat new to town and I don't recall seeing this shop.

The bakery is attached to the Xpress shop at the traffic lights at Cahercalla cross on the Kilrush Road. As you drive out from Ennis, it is on your left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Yaahl wrote: »
    easily recognisable, its un sliced and about the same size as a standard pan, clear rapper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Clareman, Aldi have recently started selling gluten free bread, I have a friend whose Coeliac as she says is lovely :)

http://www.coeliac.ie/news/aldi_gluten-free_bread_launched
    Best bread in Ennis used be that place opposite O'Briens. It's gone like 15 years now though.

Mulqueen's Bakery, I remember it well!

Anyone remember the Mills Bakery on Mill Road? (beside the Tennis Club and Willie Burke's shop). I remember my granny used to give us slices of Mills bread with "farmers butter" which she used to purchase from Brodericks in Parnell Street. It was die for :)

Advertisement