Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new puppy

• 19-12-2010 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭

hi all i've just picked up my little rescue puppy samson this morning...just a little concerened that he hasn't been for a number 2 yet at all today..even though i bring him outside every half hour...Is this just nerves?

He is eating what he was on in the rescue centre,drinking and weeing.

He was very nervous when we bought him into the house but he's chilling out a bit now+playing with his new toys.

Bringing him for vet check up tomorrow.

he's a terrier cross by the way.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭dvet

Hey, I wouldn't be too worried, just keep doing what you're doing with bringing him outside etc for now. A lot of puppies tend to go soon after eating or soon after sleeping, so you might have more luck later on tonight?

It's handy that you're going to the vet anyway tomorrow - if he still hasn't gone by the morning you can bring it up then. At the moment though it doesn't sound like there's too much to worry about, if that's all you've noticed!

Oh, and enjoy your new puppy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭ashblag

dvet wrote: »
    Hey, I wouldn't be too worried, just keep doing what you're doing with bringing him outside etc for now. A lot of puppies tend to go soon after eating or soon after sleeping, so you might have more luck later on tonight?

It's handy that you're going to the vet anyway tomorrow - if he still hasn't gone by the morning you can bring it up then. At the moment though it doesn't sound like there's too much to worry about, if that's all you've noticed!

Oh, and enjoy your new puppy :)

yeah thats all i've noticed..oh and he seems to have taken a fondness to sleeping on my shoulder!
    tonight is his first sleep in the house should be interesting..

another question, have a crate i bought him home in..should i leave him sleep in this?

Yeah, if it's big enough for him to be comfortable in that should be fine, it would be good to put any familiar smelling blankets in there for him, (if the breeder gave you any).

As you mention it, some people on here are big fans of crate training for puppies - maybe they'll be able to give you more advice on it!

wasnt a breeder was a rescue centre i got him from..
    tried putting him in he's yelping like a maniac..
    calming down a small bit now.prob just a case of tough love...i really dont want to spoil him too much.

A few sleepless nights i think ahead:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

Do you have a small cuddly toy, a teddy bear or something that you can put in there with him? I used to do a settling routine with my pups when it was time for them to go into the crate at night. I'd say 'good night [pup's name], bedtime [pup], sleep time [pup]' in a calm voice and rub them down. It might sound a bit daft and a few times, I did have to come back and do it again when they started up after I'd left the room but I'd never let them out of the crate, just re-settle them. I was very consistent about it and they soon caught onto the fact that this was part of the bedtime routine and that there was no moving out of the crate for a few hours.

In fact, it worked so well that these days one of the dogs, who sleeps at the end of my bed, will sit there staring at me until I rub him down and tell him it's bedtime and only then will he lie down and fall asleep.

At this stage it's all about consistency and getting them used to you and the place. But it's also a fun and exciting time. Wishing you and your pup many happy and healthy years together!

• Advertisement

thank you all.
    He gave into sleep after an hour or so crying i put a teddy and the top i had on today in with him.felt horrible leaving him crying but he's still asleep...so fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Don't forget you'll have to get up for the toilet. :( Just don't interact with him except for a quiet little good boy when he goes, or he could think it's time to get up and stay up.

So jealous!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Thats what I was just going to say whispered. Depending on how old he is you'l probably have to get up once or twice.

Where are the puppy pics? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Great name for a dog - SAMSON!

Right update...should not have been worried about Samson not pooping...he is now a pooping machine..all be it he will go on the newspaper put down for him:D

He is rulling the roost though...I know it's only 3days in so hopefully it'll get better...he wants to be up with me all the time...trying to get him into routine so i put him into his bed after feeding and play time he crys and yelps for about half an hour..sometimes an hour at night time but he'll then sleep.Now the first night it was over two hours

Is this good progress? Also the rescue contacted me another puppy similar to him from a different litter came in..is it too soon to get him a play mate?

I really think he is missing other K9 company...I'm sort of thinking ahead also will be returning to work 9th Jan after holidays.

*ps he is ten weeks old*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

great on you for rescuing this puppy.

i do think it is way to soon for you to be thinking of another pup esp when you will be back to work in a few weeks. i would at the moment concentrate on this guy and work through your problems with him. The experts say its better not to have two pups together as they are more likely to bond to each other than on owner, apperently ideal age to introduce another pup into the household is +1 yrs.

Hey, glad he (and you!) got through his first few nights ok! :) About the new pup idea, I also think you should hold off for a while... Firstly because your guy will not have his vaccinations finished so you really shouldn't be mixing him with 'outside' dogs/puppies before that. Also because pretty soon your guy will not only be a pooping machine but may also turn into a chewing machine/eating machine/destruction machine.. this will be a lot easier to manage with one puppy rather than 2! :p This along with house training/obedience training etc can turn into a LOT of work... so I'd say you'd be doing yourself/your sanity a favour if you started out with one! :o

Alright guys. Samson is no longer the timid little pup i took home...his puppy personality really coming through now!

Sleeping at night is still an ordeal and now he is chewing/biting a lot. Once he nips me i try put a chew toy to his mouth but obviously i'm better. I tell him off but he comes back with avangance..he thinks it's all fun! Any advice?

Ps thank you all for your help so far x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

When he nips you, yelp - and a proper yowling yelp like another puppy would, and withdraw from him. Pull your hands right in and go very still for a second -you'll notice he backs away and freezes for a second too - it's precisely what another dog would do. He'll quickly learn that if he wants you to play, he needs to inhibit his bite.

My poor little puppy was woken up last night by some drunken idiots around the estate..I've never seen an animal as scared he was cowering behind his bed..so i did the unthinkable..I bought his bed into my room he slept like a log...only woke up at 7 to go down for a wee!

I think he just loved knowing i was in the same room? do boardsies think it's ok for him to sleep in my room just at night time?

Oh and merry christmas to all of you and your little critters:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

The problem is if they sleep in there at night they will expect it all the time, so if you need them to sleep in the kitchen etc sometimes they will want to be with you and probably cry and howl to be with you.
    So its totally up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

andreac wrote: »
    The problem is if they sleep in there at night they will expect it all the time, so if you need them to sleep in the kitchen etc sometimes they will want to be with you and probably cry and howl to be with you.
    So its totally up to you.
    i dont find this at all. mostly mine sleep on the bed but there is occasions when they cant, and i have no problems at all with them then sleeping in the sitting room. Then again there is 3 of them so maybe would be dif with only 1.

he did it:D:D my little guy slept all night in his own bed with the help of a hot water bottle just woke at 9:D:D:Dhappy days

Merry Christmas x

Advertisement