Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow a no show, what about the extreme cold then?

Options
  • 19-12-2010 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

By all accounts Ulster / North Connacht and North Leinster are going to see extreme lows over the next few days. Down to possibly -20 in some places at night and still as low as -10 during the day ...so all in all a very hard freeze for a good few days. Not good for road conditions and potentially expensive around the house with freezing pipes etc.

Seenashow the snow excitement is going to be mostly over for the next few days ...are those temps worthy of their own thread?

(mods please delete if you don't think so)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I think it may well be record breaking lows..

Donegal at the minute seems to be bearing the brunt of the cold going by the NRA roadside temps

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

peasant wrote: »
    By all accounts Ulster / North Connacht and North Leinster are going to see extreme lows over the next few days. Down to possibly -20 in some places at night and still as low as -10 during the day ...so all in all a very hard freeze for a good few days. Not good for road conditions and potentially expensive around the house with freezing pipes etc.

Seenashow the snow excitement is going to be mostly over for the next few days ...are those temps worthy of their own thread?

(mods please delete if you don't think so)

Just because Dublin didn't get any snow, doesn't mean the rest of the country got none too :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Cian92 wrote: »
    none too

...any either ... :D

FYI, I'm from Sligo and we got between 5 - 20 cm here (depending on location) ...I'm still kinda worried about this approaching cold though. Things simply aren't built for this kind of weather around here

-9 in Collooney already..

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Its pretty amazing stuff, I'd love to step outside into -20, just to feel what's like - cold obviously and doubt nice to hang around long in. Be interesting to see now if it does beat the current coldest temps.

• Advertisement

Its pretty amazing stuff, I'd love to step outside into -20, just to feel what's like - cold obviously and doubt nice to hang around long in. Be interesting to see now if it does beat the current coldest temps.

I've experienced -25 once, it's not pleasant.
    Naked skin freezes to metal on contact, the snot in your nose literally freezes and breathing through your mouth hurts. Any scarf that you put in front of your face will be covered in solid ice within minutes. Eyes water, nose runs ( and freezes:D) and ears hurt. Anything uncovered goes numb very quickly.

All sorts of things you take for granted stop working properly ...cars, door hinges, windows, letter boxes ...anything that's outside and has moving parts will be either very stiff or non-functional altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Biglad

-7.5c at the moment. I've experienced -24c and I tell you the fun is short lived. Outdoor life becomes dangerous for peeps who are not used to this. Things that you wouldn't expect to freeze will including eyelids, noses etc.
    I enjoy this cold spell though and I can't wait to see some records broken :D

I did a 200km speed skating marathon once in Austria at an average temperature of -10c, interesting experience...

Back to topic, temperature here still dropping, coldest last night was -9.0c, feel we will break that tonight...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

Its pretty amazing stuff, I'd love to step outside into -20, just to feel what's like

Done it, one piece of advice - make sure you blow your nose first :eek:

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Yeah I'd say its pretty brutal alright, even popping my head out into -8 (according to my phone!) last night was bloody cold. The thoughts of my eye lids freezing would kinda knock the sense of wonder out the door though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Yes, I too experienced -25c earlier this year. Lets say it was a very sobering experience. I thought I would be fine going out in heavy jacket, fleece hat, scarf and gloves. After 2 minutes the exposed parts of my face felt like I was getting burned (if that makes sense). The cold just seeps through everything - not nice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

i can hack up to about -20C but beyond that gets nasty. when i was 13, i was outside for 20 minutes walking home from a mates house in a windchill that was -42C (obviously not in ireland)
    my legs were bright red and i spent the rest of the day in a heated bed. my face was very stiff from the cold.
    the key to cold temps is keeping your skin covered! we used to wear balaclavas as a kid.. LOL all the kiddy snot getting frozen to your face.. ugh .. nasty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

-15 was the lowest i experienced, not too bad if you stay still, but when you move and the air is moving towards your face it hurts!!! Didnt stay out long . .. main thing i've noticed is that below -8 the inside of the double glazed window frames freezes, and round -10 the glass freezes too . .and thats with heating on in the room! :eek:

a tip for this weather if anybody has old single glazed windows, like we do here is to pick up some plastic film kits from B&Q. comes with double sided tape and a large plastic sheet that you can cut to the size of your windows. you just stick it to the window as taut as possible and then use a hair dryer over it to finish. it really does help with cold draughts through the windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Also remember here in Ireland theres a greater humidity which makes it feel colder compared to somewhere like scandinavia.

Its the humidity which gives us the white in frost.

If it is -10c here and -10c in norway, it would feel a lot colder here, just because of the greater humidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

I was driving on the N3 and at just before 8pm the temperature gauge dropped to -11C passing Lavey Lake outside Cavan. Steady increase back to zero by the time I got to Dublin.

snaps wrote: »
    Also remember here in Ireland theres a greater humidity which makes it feel colder compared to somewhere like scandinavia.

Its the humidity which gives us the white in frost.

If it is -10c here and -10c in norway, it would feel a lot colder here, just because of the greater humidity.

absolutely! i can't bear the temps below 10C here hahaha
    not looking forward to what -20C would feel like!
    it was -9C i think about a fortnight ago when i was out in the morning taking photos and my face was sore and stiff enough then!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Sitting here in a room with glass walls in TCD and absolutely freezing my balls off.

How will this affect road travel, will it be worse than the snow or not as bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭sandra06

are you been serious about weather:D

Sitting here in a room with glass walls in TCD and absolutely freezing my balls off.

How will this affect road travel, will it be worse than the snow or not as bad?

If it stays really cold, conditions will just remain as they are, "frozen" so to speak :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

peasant wrote: »
    If it stays really cold, conditions will just remain as they are, "frozen" so to speak :D
    :D

Would a cold snap by itself make roads unusable, or would there need to be rain/snow as well to really make travel impossible?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Castlederg -16.6°C at 22:00

It has already broken the lowest max record today for December in NI at -11.0°C.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

-15.5 in Killygordon, Donegal @ 22.50. Gas frozen here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

the coldest i've experienced was -18, which was accompanied by 40 mph wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

irish1967 wrote: »
    -15.5 in Killygordon, Donegal @ 22.50. Gas frozen here.

Gas frozen? I never realised that would even happen, that's bloody scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

These lows remind me of having worked in a supermarket and stock taking in the back store freezers. Just can't fathom the temp outside being the same as the freezer.

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    Gas frozen? I never realised that would even happen, that's bloody scary.

Poor quailty diesel jellifies as well. Blocks filters and leaves engines and central heating not working. Most heating systems now run on Kerosene now though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Castlederg -17.7°C 23:00

a tad chilly.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭kkontour

the coldest i've experienced was -18, which was accompanied by 40 mph wind.

Happened to me last year. Poured hot water on top of cylinder to get it working

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

All ireland all time low is -19 point something. . . Could be broken in the north anyway if not the republic. .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Experienced temperature of -21 C air temperature with wind chill added was equivalent to -50 C.
    Foooooooook me that cold

We were only in it for 5 minutes but one lady got frost bite in her ear. Also as someone else said you have to be careful with how you cover your mouth as the moisture on your breath will freeze in the scarf etc.

I was fine thou since I had good gear one me.

Advertisement