Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time for a Winter Break?

• 19-12-2010 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭

With the weather as it is at the moment and game after game being cancelled, is it time for the EPL to consider a winter break. I've always loved the Christmas fixtures as they go a long way towards sorting the table out, but with these cold winters set to be here to stay for the next decade or more according to experts, would they be better off biting the bullet and having a break?

Is it time for the EPL to introduce a Winter Break? 26 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    Naw
    100% 26 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Selfishly, I dont want a winter break. I love Stephens Day matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Hell naw. The clubs can figure out how to grit the footpaths, I can't figure out what else to spend my free time doing over the winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

With the LOI season over it would be pants to see it. Plus there is no room for a winter break unless they get rid of the League cup and moved FA Cup games to midweek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm all in favour but I'd start the break on Jan 2 and would last for 21 days so we'd still get the Chrimbo/New Year programme done then everyone can get a couple of weeks of warm sun/rest and come back renewed.

As for the Cups - I'd have the 3rd round of League Cup in September and the 3rd round of FA Cup in November.

The Premier League bigwigs need to visit Green Bay, Wisconsin and figure out how the NFL deal with with about ten times as much as was seen throughout Britain yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

How many games premiership have been called off in the last few years because of the snow? I dotn remember many. Even then its more to do with fans travellign than the pitch. Maybe they should stop worrying about peoples travel arrangments and leave it up to fans whether they should travel or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You'll note my argument has nothing to do with weather, I think it would be a good idea in terms of football.
    but with these cold winters set to be here to stay for the next decade or more according to experts

Without dragging this into weather forum wankery, we are not heading for a decade of winter freezes - we are currently in short period of harsh winters due to an unfortunate combination of La Nina/Negative NAO and very low sunspot activity. Both will change over the next year or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

mike65 wrote: »
    You'll note my argument has nothing to do with weather, I think it would be a good idea in terms of football.

Without dragging this into weather forum wankery, we are not heading for a decade of winter freezes - we are currently in short period of harsh winters due to an unfortunate combination of La Nina/Negative NAO and very low sunspot activity. Both will change over the next year or two.

I was going by what some fella I heard on the Last Word said tbh.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Yes, but have it start on the second of January like mike65 said. And not because of the weather. The experts can't predict when or how bad the weather is going to be. Do it for the quality of the games in the latter part of the season.

I'd like to see smaller leagues with less games too, but that's a whole other thread.

PS: in before the global warming arguments ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Only in a world cup year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

No because if there is one England could possibly do better in the tournaments...and that's a no-no!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

The Premier League bigwigs need to visit Green Bay, Wisconsin and figure out how the NFL deal with with about ten times as much as was seen throughout Britain yesterday.

Apply common sense there, it is easier for the clubs to deal with it when the public transport, and fans are prepared themselves.

The premier league bigwigs can't do either of those things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

This.

Isn't there some ridiculous statistic of there only being a tiny (like 3 or something?) few NFL games ever being postponed due to adverse weather conditions?

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Apply common sense there, it is easier for the clubs to deal with it when the public transport, and fans are prepared themselves.

The premier league bigwigs can't do either of those things.

So, one of the wealthiest sporting groups in the world should sit back and say "fuck it, theres nothing we can do about this. Nope, theres no way we could sit down with government officials or local councils to sort something out"

So, one of the wealthiest sporting groups in the world should sit back and say "fuck it, theres nothing we can do about this. Nope, theres no way we could sit down with government officials or local councils to sort something out"

Well unless they go and buy everybody winter tyres for their cars, then travel is always going to be a problem they can't fix.

Well unless they go and buy everybody winter tyres for their cars, then travel is always going to be a problem they can't fix.

The Premier League often harps on about working with local communities. Initiatives such as driver education for hazardous conditions or grants for the improvement of public transport shouldnt be explored?

The Premier League often harps on about working with local communities. Initiatives such as driver education for hazardous conditions or grants for the improvement of public transport shouldnt be explored?

Public transport can be as good as it likes, but if people aren't prepared with winter tyres There, it still won't work, at the very Most, it will go very slowly.

Public transport can be as good as it likes, but if people aren't prepared with winter tyres There, it still won't work, at the very Most, it will go very slowly.

So the premier league should postpone 7 or 8 games whenever it snows or rearrange the whole season (as a result of Winter Break) because people wont buy winter tyres?

So the premier league should postpone 7 or 8 games whenever it snows or rearrange the whole season (as a result of Winter Break) because people wont buy winter tyres?

because people can't travel to games safely, then yes, the games should be postponed until they can.

because people can't travel to games safely, then yes, the games should be postponed until they can.

Right, we obviously have different points of view and were going a bit off-topic.

In answer to OP's question: No, a winter break should not be brought in as a reaction to the weather. The PL is big enough not to have to postpone/rearrange fixtures because of snow. There is an argument that a winter break would reduce injuries and improve the quality of football. If these points can be proved then I suppose a winter break would be fair enough. But not snow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

**** the winter break.

It wouldnt be xmas without a load of footie to watch. **** England and how we always fail to perform in the big tournaments. I really dont think it affect the PL teams in Europe so see no real need for one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭joe123

No way. I love christmas and everything about it. One of those main things is so much football on. And its mighty for fantasy football enjoyment too. Cant beat it. One round of fixtures over and only a two/three day wait for the next round.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

mike65 wrote: »
    I'm all in favour but I'd start the break on Jan 2 and would last for 21 days so we'd still get the Chrimbo/New Year programme done then everyone can get a couple of weeks of warm sun/rest and come back renewed.

As for the Cups - I'd have the 3rd round of League Cup in September and the 3rd round of FA Cup in November.

No !!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

lordgoat wrote: »
    Only in a world cup year.

No way imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

em, in case none of the NFL crew has realised, a frozen pitch is a bit more of a problem in football than it is in it's American counterpart if only looking at it from a player perspective. These cities are also a lot more used to the snow than their English counterparts who very rarely got that much snow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,447 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Right, we obviously have different points of view and were going a bit off-topic.

In answer to OP's question: No, a winter break should not be brought in as a reaction to the weather. The PL is big enough not to have to postpone/rearrange fixtures because of snow. There is an argument that a winter break would reduce injuries and improve the quality of football. If these points can be proved then I suppose a winter break would be fair enough. But not snow.

But is it not that the local police that are postponing games due to the dangers to spectators in and around grounds rather than the teams themselves.

Someone earlier compared it to Green Bay

There is probably more snow clearing equipment in the city of Green Bay (and it's a small place) than in all of England.

So you cannot compare the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

What happens though if the winter break begins in January, and adverse weather conditions like this weekend occur in December again? Would leave very little space for the postponed December games aswell as a January break, the schedule is congested enought as it is.

Leave it be imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Liam O wrote: »
    a frozen pitch is a bit more of a problem in football than it is in it's American counterpart if only looking at it from a player perspective.

But how many of the PL games were called off due to frozen pitches? Only Blackpool don't have undersoil heating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

no break no way...these lads are paid trillions let them buy tights and gloves if they want.........when its too warm they are crying about that too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

On a selfish note - No. Having games on over the holidays is great and there are normally a few good ones, beats the Darts anyways. But I voted Yes as the Winters are getting worse and there are bound to be a lot of games called off over the Winter. Plus having a break means players get a rest and come back stronger in January (in theory). If there were a Winter break they would need to play more games in a shorter space of time. Tbh they should scrap the Carling Cup, bring in a Winter Break and play these PL games in Carling Cup weeks ie midweek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

How would they know when the bad weather will happen. It could happen anytime in at least a 3 month period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

The last thing our game needs is a winter break

no break no way...these lads are paid trillions let them buy tights and gloves if they want.........when its too warm they are crying about that too.

You seem to be missing the point completely tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Two weeks off to rest would be awesome for the performances of Premiership players. No surprise that most high-profile Premiership players were shíte in the WC.

Add to that, most of our lads are in the Premiership (well... Championship... :() and we'd benefit a lot from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Thought he had retired...

jeff_winter.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Judging from the crowd at Eastlands tonight, yes, yes it is time for a winter break. :pac:

Advertisement