Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[SOLVED] PSU Has no 4 Pin Connector, will it work?

Options
  • 19-12-2010 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭

I've just bought a new PSU and mainboard for an older PC from Overclockers.

It was this PSU and this mainboard.

The mainboard has a 24 pin connection and a 4 pin connection but contrary to the description and the instructions included in the PSU, there is no 4 pin 12V plug (the one for powering the CPU).

I have all the standard SATA and molex connections as well as two 6+2 pin connections which I assume are for a PCI-E graphics card (which I don't have).

Also included is an 8 pin CPU (I think) connection and a 24 pin one with a detachable 4 pin (which brings it down to 20 pin + 4 pin).

The instructions indicate to plug in a 4 pin 12V connection though. I'm just wondering if anyone can help me here. Is the 4 pin only needed if I use a 20 pin main connection? Did I get a dud PSU? Any suggestions at all appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

The 8-pin EPS12V also doubles up as a 4-pin ATX12V CPU connector. Just put the correctly-keyed half of it in the ATX12V (CPU) socket :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Solitaire wrote: »
    The 8-pin EPS12V also doubles up as a 4-pin ATX12V CPU connector. Just put the correctly-keyed half of it in the ATX12V (CPU) socket :)

Ah! This worked, thanks a million:) Should have really seen it myself:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Had the same problem myself, a few minutes of panic ensued!

Advertisement