Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ROAD CONDITIONS:WARNING

Options
  • 19-12-2010 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭

The road conditions, especially back roads, around Nth County are getting to the point of being undriveable.
    From Balbriggan to Skerries to Lusk to Naul and everywhere in between..
    Many roads are have compacted snow and ice.I was out for a short period and came across 2 cars simply losing it at slow speed

Balrothery to Cross of the Cage (Ardgillan). That Hill is almost impossible to ascend in a car.I had to turn back halfway up and have been told that 2 other cars and a jeep got into difficulty on it.

Coast road from Balbriggan to Skerries ,although gritted, still felt slippy in many parts.
    Skerries railway bridge to Milverton is gonna catch someone out badly. Has the potential to turn very nasty.
    The main roads arent far behind and I would imagine as the night wears on and less and less traffic is about and temps drop even further it wont improve. Thats not too mention if more snow falls.
    PLEASE BE VERY CAREFUL AND DRIVE SLOWLY.TAKE IT THAT THE ROADS ARE EXTREMLY ICY/SLIPPY.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Yeah I should have started this thread earlier. Drove from Balbriggan to Ardgillan today and came back a few hours later 4.30 and it was scary - shocked at how quick the snow compacted on the back roads. Even main road from Skerries to Balbriggan was very bad, I had a skid. Conditions in Balbriggan were fine at that stage.

Be very careful as the conditions change in the space of a mile or two - especially on back roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 valz08

I am supposed to be bringing my daughter to Belvedere house in Mullingar tomorrow to see santa. she is so excited as she is telling everyone that she is gonna see Santa in Narnia. The only problem is i live in Athlone/Roscommon and not to sure of the condition of the road.
    I was planning on going on the motorway from athlone to Kilbeggan and then taking the N52 heading for Mullingar, I was hoping someone would be able to tell me what this stretch of road is like. really appreciate any info on this.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

valz08 wrote: »
    I am supposed to be bringing my daughter to Belvedere house in Mullingar tomorrow to see santa. she is so excited as she is telling everyone that she is gonna see Santa in Narnia. The only problem is i live in Athlone/Roscommon and not to sure of the condition of the road.
    I was planning on going on the motorway from athlone to Kilbeggan and then taking the N52 heading for Mullingar, I was hoping someone would be able to tell me what this stretch of road is like. really appreciate any info on this.

Valz08 you'd be best off posting in the motors forum thread on roads, it's http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056103773 Also check out aaroadwatch.ie and the regional forums Westmeath.

Was out in Swords tonight on Rathbeale Road, Glenn Ellan and Applewood, the roads were ok, but starting to get slippy. Seatown Road in Swords was lethal during the last bad spell, so if you are driving around there be careful

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Roads from airport to Lusk were OK as of 11pm. Lusk/Skerries road getting slippy. Roads in The Hills remain untreated and are difficult. Take care folks.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Minus 5 when I set-off this morning - the R127 from Skerries through Lusk and down to Blakes Cross had a dusting, but you could still see the white lines in places. There was not much traffic about, and the road was fine if you took it carefully

The R132 down to Swords had been gritted, and was pretty clear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

-4 when leaving Applewood this morning @ 7:30, the Glen Ellen road was clear, (looked like it was gritted as there was good grip), Balheary Road from Swords Business park was also good apart from the new potholes that have appeared over the last few weeks.

The R132 was good from the Estuary R/A to the Airport.

I hope the roads are as good this evening when I'm on my way home from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dubsontour

Take care on the roads in Rush and Skerries ,snow has been falling on and off since about 10.30am this morning. Rush road Skerries R128 very icy when I travelled on it at about 12.30pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Great idea for a thread!

Left lusk at about 9 this morhing. Once outside the estate all was slow but grand to the M1.

Dubsontour's post is more recent than mine so I wouldn't expect it to be the same.

I will be leaving Citywest at 18.00 heading back via Clare Hall so would appreciate if anyone can update conditions around that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Had to drag a 2010 car outta of hedge last night. He said he came round a bend and kept going straight. ouch!
    A quick tip that I was taught 2 weeks ago.
    If you find yourself in the situation where you are some way up a hill and cant go any further forward but cant go back...

To go downhill backwards......put the car in 1st gear and slowly let the car roll backwards and to control the speed slowly release the clutch to the 'biting' point and it will slow/stop you and if you need the brakes just tip them a few times in a row and you should be able to control the car. Its slow but its better then being stuck.

I needed to do this twice last night

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

how is the coast road from Balbriggan to Skerries now?

Supposed to go out for dinner there later but will cancel if the roads are bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

saw a car on its roof on the lusk bypass this morning.

We all need to slow down!!! leave big gaps and be patient!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Martron wrote: »
    saw a car on its roof on the lusk bypass this morning.

Being a local, that takes some doing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Coming out of Fancourt Heights today at 1.30. Skidded accross the road.Heart was in my mouth.I felt sick, got to Skerries took the kids off school early.OH, Seen a Garda talking to a guy that parked over the white line, and was in a disabled spot , but only a little . Garda made him move.How anyone could make out the line was beyond me.Thanks for the thread.Cathy

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

2 hours to get back from Clare Hall to Skerries - setting off at 4pm it was reasonably clear until just past the M1 roundabout - took another 20 minutes to Blakes Cross, then a crawl to Lusk.

There was a report of a jackknifed lorry on the Rush road, and I was hopeful the Skerries Road would be clear. Unfortunately a car got stuck on the hill just outside Lusk, which caused another 30 minute delay.

It wasn't too bad when the car cleared - you need to keep the momentum up. However the snow was compacting, and I guess it could be quite slippery in the morning with the sub-zero overnight temperatures forecast

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

Bucketin' down out there. Looks class.

10cm approx in the Blackhills in the past 2 hours. Still coming down. Balrothery to Ardgillan was treacherous earlier, I wouldn't like to think what it is like now.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

Yup. I've about a good inch in the back garden. It's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Sparkles78

I got stuck going up a hill at the Man O'War pub today, thank god a lovely man stopped to help me. After a few failed attempts at reversing down the hill and trying to get back up again himself and another kind man ended up having to push my car up the hill!

Dread to think what the roads will be like in the morning...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

four hours on the 33x to Lusk from town , the roads are madness

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Ouch, Auvers.

Left Drumcondra at 5:30, just got home shortly after 9. Blakes Cross seems pretty hairy, we went on towards the Round Towers petrol station direction instead.

Was listening to national radio for ages, then we found Dublin City 103.2 (I think) which gave more detailed info on various areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

103.2 is a complete life saver. Pretty tough out there at the moment. Ended up taking me 3 hours from Citywest.

Got out the ruler 4 inches of snow on the ground in Lusk.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Spidermany

3 inches in my front garden in Rush - surprisingly it's pretty sheltered!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The snowplough is out in Swords the past hour.

The roads are fairly hairy though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

How was Curkeen Hill? I will be driving to Balbriggan at 5.15 in the morning but have a feeling there will not be much post. It was a little slippy this morning but as we drove on it got worse in a few places.
    I dread the thoughts of tomorrow morning. I finished work at at 8.20 tonight and the roads were lethal. I drove down Palmer Rd at 5.30 this morning and van took on a life of its own

Its going to be mayhem if it freezes tonight as has been forecast. It looked to me like we had about 3 or 4 inchs of snow between 4 and 7 this evening it is also compacting and loads of cars were finding the smallest gradient too much.

I would say, unless its essential. STAY PUT

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Spidermany

Leo, thank you, not many people will be going into work and we appreciate it. Be safe!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Spidermany wrote: »
    Leo, thank you, not many people will be going into work and we appreciate it. Be safe!!

Thankyou, Have to say it was hard going today but well worth it as I am 100% positive I delivered a few "very important parcels" today.

One or two roads were impassable today but most of us like to treat these conditions as a bit of a challenge and its great to clear a van of parcels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

:(
    School not closed so far... GAH.

Ah well, at least once I hit Garristown it's sort of okay...

No more hitting ditches for me thank you very much :(

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

took over two hours to get from finglas to rush, went on down to the roundtower turn as there was a bus sideways on the road outside the industrial units on the lusk road, not sure if he spun or was trying to turn.
    the snow in the estate here is the deepest ive ever seen it.

I'm staying put & going sledging in Ardgillan :D

Take care everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

LeoB wrote: »
    How was Curkeen Hill? I will be driving to Balbriggan at 5.15 in the morning but have a feeling there will not be much post. It was a little slippy this morning but as we drove on it got worse in a few places.
    I dread the thoughts of tomorrow morning. I finished work at at 8.20 tonight and the roads were lethal. I drove down Palmer Rd at 5.30 this morning and van took on a life of its own

Its going to be mayhem if it freezes tonight as has been forecast. It looked to me like we had about 3 or 4 inchs of snow between 4 and 7 this evening it is also compacting and loads of cars were finding the smallest gradient too much.

I would say, unless its essential. STAY PUT

I heard on the grapevine the Garda closed the Hill tonight because traffic couldn't get up it. Hopefully the council will clear it overnight tonight.

The government has issued tenders in the last month for at least 8 saltbarns around the country so they must think colder winters are here to stay.

Advertisement