Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ROAD CONDITIONS:WARNING

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Skerries to Airside took 35 minutes this morning. Roads are untreated but passable with care. I passed a dozen or so abandoned cars, and I suspect there will be long delays as the rush hour progresses

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Wife got the 6pm 33X last night and had to abandon it at Blakes Cross due to the jacknifed truck. Thankfully, her Dad was behind her and she got home for 9.35pm or so

I left the city centre at 8pm and went up the Ballymun Road and drove out the M1 as far as Balbriggan South exit and doubled back to Lusk on the R132. Took me approximately 2 hours or so.

Got the train in this morning, no problems to report thankfully!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Roads in Swords are fairly bad this evening, cars appear to be having problems getting up the little hill from Bridge St to Rathbeale road, and it's very slippy on Rathbeale Road.

Main Street is covered in compacted slush and snow, and is also slippy.

Turning from Bridge St to Main St is very slippy also.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Yeah, no buses going up Rathbeale Road tonight. That's a first as far as I know. Hopefully they'll be back on tomorrow. I need to get into town. :o

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Larianne wrote: »
    Yeah, no buses going up Rathbeale Road tonight. That's a first as far as I know. Hopefully they'll be back on tomorrow. I need to get into town. :o

They were running fine when I went out to dinner at about 7pm, then after that the road got bad, and there were a few after 8pm but they stopped then.

All the busses stopped at 10 anyway, hopefully they will treat the road properly for the morning!

Could you walk down to get the Swords Express?

• Advertisement

I always forget about the Swords Express! That running normally? Never got it before.

Larianne wrote: »
    I always forget about the Swords Express! That running normally? Never got it before.

Seems to be, it was a godsend for me in the last snow, I was doing a course in town, and it was great. Expensive, but good.

Will check out the website and see what way DB is in the morning. Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

I keep hearing "roads completely treacherous around Rush, Lusk, Skerries" on a Dublin radio station.

Is this actually true, or is it just the media being hysterical based on one text as usual??My OH headed out around 7.00am to the city from Rush and said that they're not too bad, just slow.I have to go out this morning (have serious cabin fever anyway), so any thoughts???

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭nosnagaoithe

dan_d : how did you get on going to Swords? I have to make that trip myself tonight after work from Lusk to the Pavillions to get some shopping done....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Last night my husband was four and a half hours on the M50. It took four hours just to get from Tallaght to Blanchardstown because it was blocked by cars that couldn't get up the hill at the Blanchardstown exit. Eventually the Gardai got a truck to pull the cars up one by one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭The Rooster

dan_d : how did you get on going to Swords? I have to make that trip myself tonight after work from Lusk to the Pavillions to get some shopping done....

No problems getting to and from the Pavillions from Rush this morning. It'll get busier and slower later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Just reading your posts now, sorry.

No problems going to Swords, though the Pavilions was really starting to fill up around 1pm.

Drove home from the airport around 3pm, no problems at all. Roads are fairly clear at this stage. Probably just need to watch out for black ice on them later, where the surface is wet. Most the slush has gone by now.

Pavillions was jammers at 5 o'clock, most car parks full, but the traffic was ok, just very very slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭johnc24

Hey all, due to travel on the M50/N11 tomorrow. Any clues to the condition of those roads?

Anyone travel on them today?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

johnc24 wrote: »
    Hey all, due to travel on the M50/N11 tomorrow. Any clues to the condition of those roads?

Anyone travel on them today?

M50 fine, N11 down to one lane for most part but moving ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

I wish idiots would stop parking in the bus stops in front of the pavilions.
    It's hard enough for the buses in this weather without some <snip> blocking up the bus stop. Coming home today on the Swords Express the driver couldn't get in to the stop in front of the Pavilions because of some guy in a Merc. There's room for two buses but there was a 41 also parked there. Eventually the 41 moved and the Swords Express was able to pull in.
    To my delight when we get off the bus a Garda car pulled over and told your man to move. He even had the gall to argue with the guard but you could see the guard losing his temper so the Merc knew he was in trouble and moved on.

Not done it myself, and not likely to, the guards fair play to them constantly monitor that area.

But having seen the "traffic control" around the Pavillions today, I'm not surprised people chance their arm stopping there tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭lily lou

It's been snowing again in Swords:( does anyone know what the roads from Swords to Lusk are like this morning?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Coming in the other direction around 7.15 this morning was fine - traffic was not having a problem, and a snow-plough was clearing the road between Blakes Cross and Lusk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭lily lou

Great, thanks a million for speedy reply:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

Anyone know what the roads are like swords to finglas? Have to do a run to aldi and then back to the pavilions :rolleyes:

If I had my way I'd leave my BMW where it is!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Skerries Road is closed apparently, car crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭midonogh

Skerries Road is closed apparently, car crash.

THere is a car on its side at the top of Crukeen Hill

midonogh wrote: »
    THere is a car on its side at the top of Crukeen Hill

Where's that?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Mark#1

Curkeen hill is between Skerries & Loughshinny, and it's steep on both approaches, and unless you're in a hovercraft or the road has been gritted, it will be impossible to drive it.

I'm told there's a 33 bus on its side by the nursing home in Lusk - anyone hear anything about that?

The roads are worse in this snap than in the one a couple of weeks ago. My wife is stranded for now in her brother's with our xmas groceries and may not make it home tonight. Hope she gets home tomorrow at least, or it looks like it could be Knorr Pasteria for xmas dinner . . .

Just stay home, folks. Or stay where you are. The usual AA & Garda advice in these times is don't travel unless necessary. IMO, that's upgraded tonight - don't travel at all, at least till the gritters get out, but even then, there's no guarantee all surfaces on your route will be gritted.

Local taxis are packing it in already.

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Here's the latest as told to me...
    There was a car crash on the Skerries-Balbriggan road, at the Ardgillen turnoff, along the windy part of the road. A 33 trying to avoid this jack-knifed, blocking the road. Car traffic built up significantly behind this, including another full bus, which could not access Skerries via Rush, due to the other problems mentioned. This happened around 6.30pm (approx.).
    Cars were parked in the car park near the ladies steps, and people walked to Skerries from there. The backlog was so long, Gardai could not reach the scene. However, by 8.15pm, it was passable.
    Am open to correction on this incident, as it came from 3 different sources.

Hate the way rumours spread, my sister just got home and is tellin me a bus is on its side between Rush ans Skerries.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Gardai advising people to avoid Swords, roads in bad way according to a mate of mine on his way to Malahide.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Gardai advising people to avoid Swords, roads in bad way according to a mate of mine on his way to Malahide.

I can back this up. The roads from Portmarnock to Swords are mental. Do not travel unless you really really have to.

Advertisement