Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ROAD CONDITIONS:WARNING

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Gardai advising people to avoid Swords, roads in bad way according to a mate of mine on his way to Malahide.

The Car Park in Swords Plaza is lethal, cars literally sliding all over the place.
    Dublin Busses are not running on the Malahide Road around Pavillions. I was walking along that road to Pavillions and there was a crash on that road, looked minor.
    Main Street, Bridge Street, and the Rathbeale road are slushy/slippy with compacted ice, but there are currently two snowploughs, plouging and gritting in both directions on these streets.

Came across one snowplough driver in the shop, who said his route went out to Balbriggan, then back to Swords.

Fair play to those guys working all hours in this weather.

Edit: Anyone know what its like in Donabate? The bf may have to do Swords - Donabate - Portmarnock - Swords tomorrow evening :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Gardai advising people to avoid Swords, roads in bad way according to a mate of mine on his way to Malahide.
    2028 AA Roadwatch has said gardaí are advising motorists to avoid the Swords area in Co Dublin. Conditions are hazardous and snow is falling.

From rte's traffic and weather updates.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1223/weather.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

I was in Malahide today an there was thunder,lightening, and buckets of snow.This was about 4 O Clock.HTH Cathy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

Kiera wrote: »
    I can back this up. The roads from Portmarnock to Swords are mental. Do not travel unless you really really have to.

+1 the roads are covered, cars sliding everywhere. After waiting over 30 minutes for a taxi outside the pavilions, even he got stuck coming into my estate. Que 20 minutes of trying to get him out. Madness. And I've to go to work tomorrow!

And it's still snowing!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

I have never seen things as bad as they are tonight. It took one of our drivers 45 minutes to get from Rush to Skerries this evening. In fairness to Fingal C.C. the main Roads between Rush and Balbriggan have been clear every morning this week but I am not looking forward to tomorrow and its still snowing at moment. Could be very little post for us to deliver but hopefully we will get all the parcels delivered, would not be suprised if deliveries were cancelled in parts of Fingal tomorrow

The main St in Rush is in a very dangeous state now. Most of the roads were ok around Rush early today if you took your time but that big shower around 5.15 this evening really messed things up.

Friends of our who were to calll here this evening were advised by Gardái to turn back.

Well don to the local farmers who were out in the tractors scraping some of the junctions.

Oh and in case we forget, take a look in to any elderly neighbours we have

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Leo B, Our local postman brought a very very very important parcel to my house.One that I was waiting on and my fingers and toes where crossed for.So on behalf of every mam, and dad that had theri fingers crossed and their breath held.Thanks for making my Christmas so special.Cathy ...and Jenny age 8.;)

cathy01 wrote: »
    Leo B, Our local postman brought a very very very important parcel to my house.One that I was waiting on and my fingers and toes where crossed for.So on behalf of every mam, and dad that had theri fingers crossed and their breath held.Thanks for making my Christmas so special.Cathy ...and Jenny age 8.;)

Thanks Cathy comments like this make the job worthwhile.

I, like the rest of the drivers have been busy, very very busy over the last few days with parcels. It great to see the relief on people faces when I call with a parcel. Hope everyone get their important pakts and parcels tomorrow

Speaking of bad conditions dont forget a few crumbs for the birds. Saw 1 little bird just crash into a wall the other day obviously exhausted from looking for food. I suppose We are so busy with the weather some of us are not leaving out the usual crumbs for the birds. Also some water is badly needed for them

This fellow was trying to dig through the snow and ice for food.
    [EMAIL="%3Ca%20href="]5284009668_e3cdc020bc.jpg[/EMAIL]">

This is a field up the North Hill in Rush. There were hundreds of birds picking away looking for food.[EMAIL="%3Ca%20href="]5284005168_f5426489ec.jpg[/EMAIL]">

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Bit o/t but we've a bird feeding station in the garden with nuts, seeds, fat balls, fat cakes and water and over the past few days very few birds have been in compared to normal, our trusty Robin "Paddy" is still a regular, but compared to the hordes we usually get, we are seeing very few.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Got the 41C bus at 10:30 tonight. Roads were grand until the N1 after the airport up to Airside where I got off. The bus struggled there. The driver said she wouldn't be travelling up main street and they wern't going past the Pavillions either so not sure where the bus was actually going to go from where i left it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

dsmythy wrote: »
    Got the 41C bus at 10:30 tonight. Roads were grand until the N1 after the airport up to Airside where I got off. The bus struggled there. The driver said she wouldn't be travelling up main street and they wern't going past the Pavillions either so not sure where the bus was actually going to go from where i left it.

Feck, that's mad. Never have I heard the buses not being able to get down Main Street!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

LeoB wrote: »
    Thanks Cathy comments like this make the job worthwhile
    ...and a big thanks to that postman who is struggling around Rush on a bicycle in the ice and snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

any info on the state of the road between whitestown and lusk. have to head out in a while and it looks to me like about 3-4 inches or more fell last nite.
    fao those who drive rear wheel drive cars, ie bmw merc ect. to gain more traction, put something heavey in the boot and this will balance the car and put a bit of weight on the back wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Posted this in the motors thread, but adding it here.

I'm in work today and drove from Lusk to Citywest I came out of lusk at Ministers Road onto the R132 at the Round Tower Service Stn. Then onto M1, M50 to Red Cow and out the N7.

R132 was much improved over last night and progress was good.
    M1 was also quite good.
    M50 southbound covered with black ice and completely lethal from the M1 to just after Ballymun.
    Coming close to Finglas the conditions got better and were manageable for the rest of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭electronic

Hi.does anybody know what the roads from blakes cross to skerries are like.or balbriggan to skerries.thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Gardaí in Malahide advise against unnecessary journeys. Extremely icy on Main St, New St & James' Tce in particular.

From rte updates. N32 lethal too.

BF is currently picking his daughter up in Donabate, going from Swords, says Swords is lethal, the rest of the trip so far has been ok compared to Swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Stheno wrote: »
    BF is currently picking his daughter up in Donabate, going from Swords, says Swords is lethal, the rest of the trip so far has been ok compared to Swords.

The St Margarets Road down to the Coachman's and Forest Road have their moments.

We're the Rathbeale end, he's dropping her off in Portmarnock and then coming back, after that I reckon he'll be put off driving anywhere until the thaw :)

The main st in Rush is in an awful state this evening from Skerries corner down to the Harbour.
    Cairn Hill and Curkeen were in poor stae this morning and Road to Balbriggan from Skerries was poor this morning about 5.15 but from just after the Ladys stairs it was fine. Ice will be a major problem for next few days given there is still freezing temps for another 48 hours but
    Hopefully things we will see improvement over the next few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Thanks for all the updates everyone. A very Happy Christmas to all.

Bf just back from Swords - Donabate - Portmarnock via Malahide - Swords.

Swords is bad, North St, is particularly bad, he'd a mega skid there
    Malahide is also fairly awful.

Aside from those, he said the rest of the journey was ok once you took your time and had your wits about you.

Take care out there people!

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Good morning folks.Got to travel Enniscorthy/BunclodyN80 to Athy[prob. use M9 enroute] Anyone use that route yesterday? Appreciate any info. and advice.Thanks and a pleasant Christmas to all.

Good morning folks.Got to travel Enniscorthy/BunclodyN80 to Athy[prob. use M9 enroute] Anyone use that route yesterday? Appreciate any info. and advice.Thanks and a pleasant Christmas to all.
    Your best bet on that is the How are the roads thread over in Motoring.

There's been a discussion on bits of the M9 there today.

Best of luck with the trip :)

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

Just travelled from Balbriggan to Lucan, the M1 south from the new garage to the airport is trecherous, lots of black ice. Passable if you just take it easy.
    The M50 is slippy from the M1 till Finglas and then it's ok with caution.

Be safe everyone!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Folks just to emphasise all the warnings about the M1 at Lissenhall. Particularly under the bridge. It is awful. You should go as slow as you can while maintaining your speed. You need to move into the fast lane just before the slipway to come off at Lissenhall for approximately 3km. For some reason the fast lane is better than the slow lane there.

Earlier today the Gardai had to maintain a presence under the bridge to prevent people from speeding here. The ice is thick and very very dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Heavy fog up around the airport in the last hour, certainly on the St. Margarets Road side.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

My car registered -12 degrees at Blakes Cross on the way to work this morning. That's the coldest I've seen it this side of the country.

Eoineo wrote: »
    Folks just to emphasise all the warnings about the M1 at Lissenhall. Particularly under the bridge. It is awful. You should go as slow as you can while maintaining your speed. You need to move into the fast lane just before the slipway to come off at Lissenhall for approximately 3km. For some reason the fast lane is better than the slow lane there.

Earlier today the Gardai had to maintain a presence under the bridge to prevent people from speeding here. The ice is thick and very very dangerous.

Cant understand why one of the busiest and most important roads in Ireland is in this state. Surley there should be or is a motorway maintainence crews to ensure the main carrageway and ramps are fully clear. I know its a big job. Fingal have done a fairly good job on the roads I have been on mainly from Rush to Balbriggan and most mornings with care it was ok.

I was never so happy to finish work as I was on Christmas eve. I have found it very tiring driving in the snow and Ice for the last 4 weeks. Despite the obvious caution you were on edge all the time and it was always good to finish up without any major miishaps. My feet yesterday were like ice block, despite having very good safety boots I put my feet down a few times and could just feel the snow coming in over the ankles. Had to be pulled out twice yesterday morning and ended up parking my van in middle of the road for some deliveries when I could not safely park at kerbside. Thanks to the other road users who were quite patient but I had some very important parcels yesterday.

Anyone what is best route to Droghead at moment? Have to pick up uncle tomorrow around mid day. Should I take M1 or go via Balbriggan and Julianstown? (Travelling from Rush)
    My car registered -12 degrees at Blakes Cross on the way to work this morning. That's the coldest I've seen it this side of the country.

Heading that was again, my car registered -6 about 20 minutes ago.
    Just back from my sisters and the Skerries Rd is covered with a layer of ice in parts. When going out earlier a car skidded out of Clifflands and missed us by about 3 or 4 feet. We braced ourselves for an impact but thankfully he just missed us.
    The Lr Main St is basically just packed ice. People out at moment just below the Carlyann Pub sliding on boards.
    Safe travelling to you all.

• Advertisement

aaroadwatch have warnings up about Balbriggan Leo, might be best taking the M1 the upper exits appear far better than the likes of Swords.

Good luck!

Advertisement