Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ROAD CONDITIONS:WARNING

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭barnacle

M1 was shocking bad earlier, especially at Lissenhall, but even before and after that were tricky. Southbound lane seemed worse than north, but there were patches in both where all 4 wheels are on the ice, and the car wants to go everywhere, even while being overly cautious on it.

If you mess up your gears (like I did while northbound) there is a dry patch under the bridge where you can break/change gears comfortably.

That trip today was the only time in the last few weeks I've felt completely out of control of the car/unsure that I could handle it. Really really bad conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

barnacle wrote: »
    M1 was shocking bad earlier, especially at Lissenhall, but even before and after that were tricky. Southbound lane seemed worse than north, but there were patches in both where all 4 wheels are on the ice, and the car wants to go everywhere, even while being overly cautious on it.

If you mess up your gears (like I did while northbound) there is a dry patch under the bridge where you can break/change gears comfortably.

That trip today was the only time in the last few weeks I've felt completely out of control of the car/unsure that I could handle it. Really really bad conditions.

Its a joke that they can get the M1 in order. Anyone else got reports of roads around Fingal?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Where are you getting this stuff about the roads?
    boards.ie
    What is this boards thing?!
    Erm...

Where are you getting this stuff about the roads?
    boards.ie
    What is this boards thing?!
    Erm...

Ha ha i know the feeling :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Left Rush about 1.20-30 and headed to M 1 at Lissenhall. The road was fine. Motorway was also fine. Left M1 at exit after tool booth. Roads around Droghead were fine where I was, I came down by F.B.D insurance and took right after the old thatch pub. Came home but took Naul exit and came through Balbriggan and was back in Rush before 3pm. Only dodgy bit of Road was Lr. Main St Rush!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Lower main street is a disgrace, to be honest. Let it rain, let it rain, let it rain!

Lower main street is a disgrace, to be honest. Let it rain, let it rain, let it rain!

Just made the return journey and the Lr. Main St is a lot worse than other road I have been on. Even the back roads in Droghead were ok Cars were skidding sideways just down from Carlyann Pub tonight. It was like driving accross the headland of a field such are the holes in the ice. Hopefully another 24 - 48 hours wll see it all gone.

There are massive pools building along the side of some roads so caution is still needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Let it rain, let it rain, let it rain!
    Be careful what you wish for.
    The Lusk-Rush rd is one of many roads that are starting to food. Ties this in with ice patches that 'refuse' to melt and you have an interesting combination.

bcmf wrote: »
    Be careful what you wish for.
    The Lusk-Rush rd is one of many roads that are starting to food. Ties this in with ice patches that 'refuse' to melt and you have an interesting combination.

Just talking to someone who has been out and about this morning and massive pools building up already. All we need now is a big tide and the Spout Rd/ Whitestown and Skerries Rd will be in a right mess.

Last night with the ice melting in patchs the Main St sounded like it had rumble strips on it such was the noise being made by cars but thankfully its much better this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

we've gone from snow and ice to storms and floods.....think the big man upstairs is sending us a message. i think he's trying to thin out the herd a bit, few bad spots of the road out of rush, and that was before all the rain.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

For anyone going down the Rathbeale to Swords itself, there is a GIANT Pothole at the lamppost just before the Centra and after JC's.

It's about 9 inches deep, we hit it earlier and I whacked my head off the seat hitting it, coming the other way you literally see cars bouncing up and down coming in and out of it.

It's also about 18 inches wide!

No idea what caused it, but it's wicked.

Came back into Rush this evening and there were quite a few dangerous spots on the road. From the railway station
    Top of Martins lane
    Gates of Knockdrummin House
    Healys Lane
    and we wont bother with the speed ramps just yet!!! but lets say they are even in a more dangerous state apart from being a bit of an eye sore. Rush is a bit like a war zone or a visitor might think we have a lot of ash from that volcano earlier in the year lying on the side of the road..

The Lusk side of station has massive pool near the bus stop.

What next??

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Stretches of Carnew, Co.Wicklow to Gorey Co.Wexford,R725, also like a warzone,potholes,mini craters in ,Millquarter,Craanford to Glandower region,about 9km stretch.Extreme care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

I think Fingal Co Co, like a lot of councils, are going to need additional funding to repair the roads after all this snow and ice. Otherwise, they can expect claims for burst tyres/damaged axles etc. from car users due to the state of the roads.
    Not a great time to be looking for additional funds, so it's going to be a difficult one. The motorways seem to have held up well, post ice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Driving down ministers road last night and the corner at The GAA is totally flooded.
    100 meters up the road and its almost unpassable. May be better this morn but there is an ernormous amount of water to drain off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

I think I read in another thread that FCC had repaired burst pipes in Lusk yesterday, bollocks.
    They threw some tarmacadam into the pothole outside the clinic thats been spewing water for months.. need less to say, the constant traffic has flung the tarmacadam out and the pothole + burst, remains.

Ridiculous.

bcmf wrote: »
    Driving down ministers road last night and the corner at The GAA is totally flooded.
    100 meters up the road and its almost unpassable. May be better this morn but there is an ernormous amount of water to drain off.

Was clear today.
    I think I read in another thread that FCC had repaired burst pipes in Lusk yesterday, bollocks.
    They threw some tarmacadam into the pothole outside the clinic thats been spewing water for months.. need less to say, the constant traffic has flung the tarmacadam out and the pothole + burst, remains.

Ridiculous.

Normal service from the council boys imo.

Rashers72 wrote: »
    I think Fingal Co Co, like a lot of councils, are going to need additional funding to repair the roads after all this snow and ice. Otherwise, they can expect claims for burst tyres/damaged axles etc. from car users due to the state of the roads.
    Not a great time to be looking for additional funds, so it's going to be a difficult one. The motorways seem to have held up well, post ice.

I was up the Cooley Mountains today for a bit of exercise an outing with my camera and on the way up just before exit 13 there are holes in the middle of the motorway.

I noticed yesterday evening driving out of Swords on the Seatown Rd how well their Ramps/cushions were holding up in comparision to the ones around Rush. I would say the Seatown Rd has a lot more traffic than any road in Rush as a lot of H.G.Vs use it (even tho I think there is a restriction). Wonder did the same company build them?

Its pitiful to drive on some of the roads around Rush they are worse than any road I have been on recently. Even the mountain Rd up to Sliabh Foy is better!! Roll on some serious claims.

Massive pothole outside Paddy Powers in Rush just at the speed bump. Anyone else notice all the holes beside drains around the rush/lusk train station?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Massive pothole outside Paddy Powers in Rush just at the speed bump. Anyone else notice all the holes beside drains around the rush/lusk train station?

Pothole?....more like a crator. And plenty more in the early stages of developing all down the main street, tarmac is breaking up all over the place. Between crumbling ramps and roads the place is becoming a disgrace, and quite dangerous as people are now not only trying to find the best way over ramps, but now trying to avoid potholes as well, dodgems here we go ! A sad state of affairs really... :(

• Advertisement

eddiem74 wrote: »
    Pothole?....more like a crator. And plenty more in the early stages of developing all down the main street, tarmac is breaking up all over the place. Between crumbling ramps and roads the place is becoming a disgrace, and quite dangerous as people are now not only trying to find the best way over ramps, but now trying to avoid potholes as well, dodgems here we go ! A sad state of affairs really... :(

The crator has been fixed.....someone plonked a cone in it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭SuperStarHoney

eh i dunno wrote: »

OMG the holes around the drains are terrible, especially the one near the right turn to Loughshinny. I can't believe they left them like that, I was actually thinking or ringing the council about them........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

OMG the holes around the drains are terrible, especially the one near the right turn to Loughshinny. I can't believe they left them like that, I was actually thinking or ringing the council about them........

Ring about them all, the only way they will know, and get some chance of them being looked at. The more that ring the better !

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Roads/ContactUs/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

+1
    Ring, email, generally annoy the hell out of the council.Part of their function is to look after the roads and carry out repairs etc. Unfortunately they seem to need a lot of prodding for that to actually happen, even though it's what we pay them for.
    The hole with the cone in it is lethal.
    At this stage, I'd be sending the bills for tracking and balancing on my car to the County Council, citing the ramps in Rush as the main cause.Might make them pay attention.They basically need to resurface the section of the street coming up to the Eurospar - completely resurface, not just fill the holes.It will be beneficial in the long run.And they need to strip those ramps and replace them. Not just refill them.

Advertisement