Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop not recgonising charger

• 19-12-2010 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

Hi, the other day my Dell Inspiron 1720 stopped recognising my power adapter, in the sense it doesn't even realise the power adapter is plugged in. I thought maybe my charger was broken in some way, so I got a lend of another 1720 charger, and it still doesn't recgonise it.
    I have googled the problem to find out it's something to do with the motherboard, but apart from that I don't know where that leaves me.
    Does anybody know if this is fixable (even some way to charge the battery externally), because I don't fancy buying another new laptop!

Any advice would be greatly appriceated!

Thanks in advance,

Patrick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭pjjk90

Anybody have any solutions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Could be a problem with the DC socket. The wide availability of replacement sockets suggests this may be a common failure. TechnoMart has this to say:

"The laptop fails to switch on (presumably after the battery goes flat?) and will not charge the battery. We repair or replace power sockets where the power pin has broken or has become disconnected from the motherboard. In most cases the motherboard needs to be removed from the system to complete the work. Sometimes the power connector makes a poor connection with the Inspiron 1720 jack. This causes arcing which can generate enough heat to melt the Inspiron 1720 dc jack and the power pin may become lose."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

looks like MB replacement from previous experience. it could either be failure of pcb component or broken solder due to laptop charger -> MB connector being bashed around

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭pjjk90

Thanks for the replies, I think its something to do with the DC Socket.
    Funny part is though, I found an old battery I had which holds about 2 minutes of power, and with the charger plugged in I have been running the laptop off it for a few days now, even though it doesn't recgonise the adapter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,573 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

have you tried plugging the chargers in without any battery installed?

• Advertisement
Advertisement