Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fish tank filter

Options
  • 19-12-2010 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

hi there,

i need some help/advise if possible...

my two foot tank is over a year old now and fish are fine etc, last couple of days or so the level of water coming out of the filter has slowed down to a trickle.

does this mean there is something stuck inside the filter or does it need to be replaced?

i cleaned out the filter the earlier today and still same problem

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

did you clean it fully?

Take it apart and remove the impeller that drives it. That can get quite clogged up over time in the housing itself, slowing it down. You can wash the plastic parts in tap water to give you a bit of pressure to force any gunk out of the tubes and cotton bud can help swab up any bits in the pipes too. But don't wash the sponges or filter media in tap water as this will kill all the bacteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭fulmer1984

i'm no expert when it comes to fish tanks but sounds like i need to up my game :rolleyes:

ill give it a good clean tomorrow after work.

what do you recommend using instead of tap water then? bucket?

fulmer1984 wrote: »
    what do you recommend using instead of tap water then? bucket?

some aquarium water in a basin. this means if cleaning out the media or sponges etc the bacteria will not die. You can do the whole filter in this too, if its easier. and the just top up the aquarium water from the tap after (however you normally do it)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭DonnchaMc

Hey, i had something similar to this but ended up having to get a new filter. Is it possible for a filter to be to strong for a tank?

The tank is 10gallons and the filter I got was for a slightly bigger tank (14 gallons i think) felt it would be less strain on the motor.
    Was this a bad idea? there seems 2be alot of pressure pumping out and im worried it might make things hard for the fish to swim in and possibly kill them off. Please advise

DonnchaMc wrote: »
    Hey, i had something similar to this but ended up having to get a new filter. Is it possible for a filter to be to strong for a tank?

The tank is 10gallons and the filter I got was for a slightly bigger tank (14 gallons i think) felt it would be less strain on the motor.
    Was this a bad idea? there seems 2be alot of pressure pumping out and im worried it might make things hard for the fish to swim in and possibly kill them off. Please advise

shouldn't be too much of an issue. I've a 110L filter in a 70L tank, no probs

You could face it across the narrower width of the tank towards the glass to dampen the flow a bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭DonnchaMc

Hahaha thats what i did :D

It seems 2be going ok for now but wantet to hear what others thought to be safe.
    After getting kinda found of that fantail now :o hahahaha

Advertisement