Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Why does the Mid West escape

• 19-12-2010 11:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭

can the experts on here give a reason as to why the mid west never seems to get any snow! whats the story like?
    if it comes from the north we dont get it, or if it comes up from the south we miss out also. ha?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭flanzer

I'd like to know that too. I'm leaving a probable snowy Dublin on Tuesday for the bright green pastures of Killaloe for Christmas. Won't be happy if I ring home and I've missed a white Christmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Also puzzled that close by in Ennis and Nenagh - they have gotten snowfall. Also parts of County Limerick (Newcastlewest/Abbeyfeale area) had snow too and none in the city and suburbs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Wind direction has not favoured Clare, Limerick and north Tipp. Kerry and Galway have more or less steered shower activity away from the Midwest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Im not an expert, but essentially the answer is that the appropriate weather wasn't over you, if it was you would have got the snow.

Plus geographically you are sitting on the border between the milder areas and warmer waters of the South West and the slightly cooler they get further North. So you're weather could at times be more borderline - a bit like bass fishing (bass favour the warmer waters around the South and South West and lessen in numbers as you progress from Clare Northwards). (this is just my limited opinion, it could be pure crap)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭chatjunkie

Yeah, we here in the Mid-west are mad for a big fall of snow. accweather had us down for 6 hours of snow on Friday as well as a few hours Thursday evening but not even a flake so far!!! Come on snow, pay us a visit!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

well we have had 6 inches here in Mayo (as deep as a pint glass)

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

It's kind of frosty in shannon.

Frosty in Limerick too -3 at present but no snow and very little ice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

On the other hand, this was outside my house in Newcastle West on Saturday and it looks the exact same this morning (other than it's dark) :D

Had to go to Limerick yesterday and it was like two different worlds either side of Adare

yeah once you go past Rathkeale its fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Mc Love wrote: »
    yeah once you go past Rathkeale its fine

That's always the case.
    It's when you go into Rathkeale the problems start. :D

The latest charts have the mid-west on course to pick up the edges of that snow shower moving down the west coast at the moment.

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    The latest charts have the mid-west on course to pick up the edges of that snow shower moving down the west coast at the moment.

I hope it comes true! Fair bad fog at the moment

Advertisement