Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much is a cup of flour?

Options
  • 19-12-2010 11:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭

Gonna cook a few things from the Big Oven website but they use American measures. Cups of flour and the like. How much flour is that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SadieSue

I did a quick google and the site I clicked on says a cup of flour is equal to 125g.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

SadieSue wrote: »
    I did a quick google and the site I clicked on says a cup of flour is equal to 125g.

Thanks

done a google myself and says 113G:confused:

flour
    volume
    (cups) flour
    weight
    (ounces) flour
    weight
    (grams)
    0.25 1.0 28
    0.50 2.0 57
    0.75 3.0 85
    1.0 4.0 113
    1.25 5.0 142
    1.50 6.0 170
    1.75 7.0 198
    2.0 8.0 226
    flour
    volume
    (cups) flour
    weight
    (ounces) flour
    weight
    (grams)
    2.25 9.0 255
    2.50 10.0 283
    2.75 11.0 311
    3.0 12.0 340
    3.25 13.0 368
    3.50 14.0 396
    3.75 15.0 425
    4.0 16.0 453

Anyway 10g is nothing. Thanks Again:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SadieSue

Weird I did another check at it says 120g lol I reckon its around there.. give or take.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

SadieSue wrote: »
    Weird I did another check at it says 120g lol I reckon its around there.. give or take.
    Its always going to vary, if you compressed flour into a cup it would weigh more, if you had really light airy flour it would weigh less. This is why I hate recipes calling for volumes.

I have a hobby that relies on very exact proportions for a mixture, most forums on it have US members and I have never found a weight based recipe and have asked loads of times. There are literally thousands of posts of recipes, all volume based and none seem to even see this as a problem -and it is huge problem as they are always bickering about their ratios being best -when really they could all be using the same weight ratios.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 PeggyvB

1 cup is roughly 1 teacupful. As for the density, it true that most American recipes don't go by weight. They will, however, say should the flour need to be sifted.:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

A lot of measuring jugs have cup measurements on them so check if you own one.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭nesbitt

You can get a Tala dry ingredients measuring cup in Argos 8euro. Gives different cup measures for different dry ingredients. Lovely retro item too...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭RJC09

tesco have a small measuring jug which has a cup, half cup, third cup, quarter cup marking on it. think i paid about €1 for it. they also sell the measuring cups for about €4 if you wanted them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

You can also buy a set of plastic 1 cup, 1/2 cup, 1/3 cup, 1/4 cup and 1/8 cup measures in most €1 shops. Widely available, and they take the guesswork out of it.

Advertisement