Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anywhere to change coins to notes?

Options
  • 20-12-2010 1:20am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

even those machines?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

xp90 wrote: »
    even those machines?

Joyces in knocknacarra have a machine that does it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

OP, my first thought is a Bank, also what about your local supermarket, I know most have Coin Counters in their Cash offices as those private coin machines usually take a charge off you for using it, im sure your local supermarket would be happy to do it for you as they would use the coin for Register floats etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Super Value on Father Griffin Road has one of the machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭red_fox

Get coin bags from the bank and fill them, you need to count them exactly so you might only want to do that for 5c or 10c and above, you'll have have more money in the larger coins and so you'd lose more to the machines when they take their cut.

You'll be left with some coins that aren't enough to fill a bag so either save them for next time or if you shop in Tesco then the self service tills have a funnel that you can dump your change in and it'll count it (although it takes a little time so be nice and do this when the shop is quiet).

As for the 1c and 2c if you don't count them then consider offering them to a charity, I think Jack and Jill used to take old Punts (real money) maybe they'd take coppers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

The bank OP!!

Those coin machines in some supermarkets charge a commission (10% i think). Feck that craic. I got the free coin bags in my own bank and counted and bagged all my change. Lodged nearly a grand last week just in time for xmas. No commission or charges involved either. They simply weigh the coins and that checks if the bags are correctly filled. Took about 2 hours to count all the change btw but well worth it in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Tesco in the Galway shopping centre has those express self service machines. They take in coin and count it quite quickly. So I just went in at a quiet time and paid for my groceries with my change jar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Tesco in the Galway shopping centre has those express self service machines. They take in coin and count it quite quickly. So I just went in at a quiet time and paid for my groceries with my change jar.

The problem with that is for other customers - those getting change from payment will get 25 2c coins instead of a 50c coin.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭apoeiguq3094y

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

snubbleste wrote: »
    The problem with that is for other customers - those getting change from payment will get 25 2c coins instead of a 50c coin.

Is this from experience ? I would have thought the machine would give change in the fewest, highest-denomination coins it could. I did get a few 5c coins in change there a few days ago, but I'd say it was because of no 10c/20c coins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I'm not sure if the Tesco here has it, but the coin machine in my local one in Dublin gives you the option of getting notes with a commission but you can get it in Tesco vouchers for the full amount.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭trish23

Try Caesers Palace or Seapoint? They might be glad of the change?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

I use the local small shop, they are always glad of small change and will count it out if you haven't go it bagged.
    the problem with most machines is most of them take a 9% service charge,
    or as mentioned get the coin bags and got to the bank, I find the business counter is free and you can use that counter instead of waiting in the customer banking queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

trish23 wrote: »
    Try Caesers Palace or Seapoint? They might be glad of the change?

not quite sure but don't they take a service commission charge for changing coins to notes?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

My local post office is happy to take bagged coins and exchange for bigger coins & notes. However I shall probably be using the Tesco selfservice tills from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If you're friendly with any pub owners or staff, they're often keen to get change, so long as it's bagged of course.

Advertisement