Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE issue a statement on their coverage of Gerry Ryan's Inquest findings

• 20-12-2010 1:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

"RTE has been criticised over the past week for maintaining what has been described as a silence. RTE covered the formal proceedings in News programming, as appropriate.

The organisation however for the most part refrained from offering comment on the proceedings or on other coverage or commentary which has flowed from it. This largely out of respect for our late colleague and out of sympathy and respect for his family.

Beyond News coverage there was scope for RTE programming in all media, but mainly within the radio schedules, to engage in discussion about the issues raised by the inquest. RTE in its normal review of programming has considered that coverage within programmes last week of the issues around cocaine consumption in our society was less than it could have been. Some have sought to interpret RTE's coverage as a concerted silence on RTE's part. This is not so and it is regrettable that it has seemed so".

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1219/rtestatement.html

While they have admitted what people having saying all along i.e., Liveline, Today with Pat Kenny, Tubridy and Finucane..etc should have addressed the issue, I don't buy their "out of respect for his family" defence. No such consideration was given to the feelings of Katy French's family, or countless other families who have found themselves in the spotlight due to the actions of a member of that family. It smacks of - one rule for us and another one for everybody else.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

the phrase 'is minic ciúin ciontach' springs to mind.

the quiet ones are the guilty ones. agreed with the OP. my arse this was to do with respect to the family. people all over the media were friendly with gerry ryan and they had no problem running with the story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

That statement is a hoot.
    RTÉ is one of the largest and busiest workplaces in the country, with 2,000 decent and committed staff, who have been understandably offended by the manner in which they and this organisation have been portrayed in recent days.

Would any RTE member of staff on here like to explain why they are offended by the manner in which RTE has been portrayed in recent days?

Offended by the manner in which RTE has behaved, maybe...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

RTÉ is one of the largest and busiest workplaces in the country, with 2,000 decent and committed staff, who have been understandably offended by the manner in which they and this organisation have been portrayed in recent days.

Correction........... 1999 staff

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Would any RTE member of staff on here like to explain why they are offended by the manner in which RTE has been portrayed in recent days?

Just ask Derryleigh, last seen in the late late thread. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Corporate Affairs dude on MI this morning admitted that they got the coverage wrong.

Said nothing and hoped it would go away- it didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I just heard on Tubridy that Gareth O'Callaghan has been told by RTE that his services won't be required any more. Apparently Gareth is the one who blew the lid on drug use in Montrose, and has named the dealer to police.....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Mr E wrote: »
    I just heard on Tubridy that Gareth O'Callaghan has been told by RTE that his services won't be required any more. Apparently Gareth is the one who blew the lid on drug use in Montrose, and has named the dealer to police.....

I'm sure the dealer wont be requiring his services after this either. May require the services of some one else though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Interesting discussion on Morning Ireland, Pat Kenny is now talking about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,024 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

The fact that he is not in employment with RTE currently has had a major impact in his outspokenness. He probably won't lose any sleep over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

How can Joe Duffy now stand over his "Gerry did no harm" comment?

I would say there are alot careers in RTE are going to be harmed ( hopefully!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I'm expecting Ronan Collins to come out with something controversial any minute now.. Just after he says happy 50th anniversary to Mary and Pat from Clonmel who met in Tramore on the seafront in 1904 and are big fans of the Dickie Rock and the Miami showband.......... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

What! not still holding hands are they?:cool:

Fianna Fail TD Pat Carey, current Minister for Community, Equality and Gaeltacht Affairs, has come out and made a statement criticising RTE for their handling of the Gerry Ryan inquest results... heard it on the news at 3 o'clock... I'll post a link as soon as I can find one..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Rubik. wrote: »
    I don't buy their "out of respect for his family" defence. No such consideration was given to the feelings of Katy French's family, or countless other families who have found themselves in the spotlight due to the actions of a member of that family. It smacks of - one rule for us and another one for everybody else.

If an RTE presenter had been convicted of a crime like child abuse or beating their spouse, would RTE bring down their veil of silence "out of respect for the family"?

I'd like to think they wouldn't but we all know RTE is a "jobs for the boys" club and is biased as hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

Fianna Fail TD Pat Carey, current Minister for Community, Equality and Gaeltacht Affairs, has come out and made a statement criticising RTE for their handling of the Gerry Ryan inquest results... heard it on the news at 3 o'clock... I'll post a link as soon as I can find one..
    The Minister for Rural, Community and Gaeltacht Affairs has said he has been taken aback over the 'attitude' of RTÉ in the aftermath of Mr Ryan's inquest.
    Pat Carey said in a large organisation 'not short of preaching to the rest of us', RTÉ had sold itself short in not coming out earlier and commenting on Mr Ryan, his drug use and other issues raised at the inquest and in subsequent days.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1220/garda.html

It appears FF are now at war with RTE following the IMF debacle

one wonders if political pressure was also applied in the Coroners Court?

Barname wrote: »
    It appears FF are now at war with RTE following the IMF debacle...one wonders if political pressure was also applied in the Coroners Court?

Given that FF threatened to pull their representatives from The Frontline recently, because of their perceived "unfairness" when participating on shows like The Frontline, liveline, etc etc... I wonder is this FF laying the boot in to RTE now that they have the opportunity..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

Given that FF threatened to pull their representatives from The Frontline recently, because of their perceived "unfairness" when participating on shows like The Frontline, liveline, etc etc... I wonder is this FF laying the boot in to RTE now that they have the opportunity..?

The Coroners Court was all lined up, why do you think the 'ladies' were in shock?

not by the fact, merely that the truth was told.

Last Word talking about this, missed Head of Corporate Communications Kevin Dawson, Kevin Myres now on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

mike65 wrote: »
    Last Word talking about this, missed Head of Corporate Communications Kevin Dawson, Kevin Myres now on.
    Kevin Dawson mentioned that only 11 people wanted to talk about it on liveline last week... find that hard to believe

11? Clearly a lie. Yes I'll call it that.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    11? Clearly a lie. Yes I'll call it that.
    I believe so unless I misheard it, please correct me if I did

on drivetime now..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Kevin Myers on Today FM's Last Word went to great lengths to stress the point about "public money" being used to fund G. Ryan's drug habit and therefore funding dealers.

Is it not true (and yes, it's that old chestnut again) that the section of RTÉ's budget devoted to 2fm (including salaries) are NOT funded by the license-fee and are covered by advertising. Yes, I know 2fm are essentially reliant on license-fee funded services such as news and current affairs but doesn't this make Myers' point incorrect?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Chill out good folks and do not be surprised....it's the old Golden Circle routine so beloved in this green Isle.

There are golden circles in every line of business.....you saw how the crony bankers aided and abetted their pals...to misrepresent the value of companies.

You sae how Fingers and his like gave preferential deals to his golden circle and only now are the crony accountancy bodies "investigating" Seanie and his pals.

Their speed of action.....wow ! 2 years on ! !

The media no different .....nice well paid GC there Dufficer, The Plank and Maid Marian ...all on very substantial wedges......not to mention the bold Meeerium with her dulcet south Dublin tones.

Think those types are going to rock the boat......hell no !!

Let's hope Gareth has the balls to name names .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Bard wrote: »
    Kevin Myers on Today FM's Last Word went to great lengths to stress the point about "public money" being used to fund G. Ryan's drug habit and therefore funding dealers.

Is it not true (and yes, it's that old chestnut again) that the section of RTÉ's budget devoted to 2fm (including salaries) are NOT funded by the license-fee and are covered by advertising. Yes, I know 2fm are essentially reliant on license-fee funded services such as news and current affairs but doesn't this make Myers' point incorrect?

yes you are right, 2fm is funded through advertising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

It is RTE that paid Gerry Ryan's company, Balcom Management Ltd., for presenter services - not 2fm. Unless you can see a breakdown of what costs are attributed to 2fm and what ones are attributed to RTE, the old chestnut is unanswerable really. RTE couldn't exist in its current format without half its budget coming from the licence fee. Nor could it pay its top ten earners what it does, irrespective of how much revenue their shows create, because that money would be needed in other areas.

2fm is currently making a loss, in the height of the boom it was generating a 3 million euro surplus. To me, it seems more than a bit excessive to pay one person 600,000 euro when the surplus for the entire station is only 3 million euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭Cole

Let's hope Gareth has the balls to name names .....

This could all lead to heads rolling....and rightly so....but this is coming from Gareth O' Callaghan!! So full of his own self importance.

I heard him on a discussion show on his own 4FM a few months ago having a few digs at RTE. Something more to this, perhaps? I'm suspicious but my long held dislike of Gareth on the radio (goes back to the 80's) does make me somewhat biased against anything he comes out with. We'll just have to wait and see.

I know this is the radio section, but the license-fee funded TV shows that Gerry benefited from were many......

Secrets (brilliant)
    the Millstreet Eurovision
    Ryantown (a gem)
    Gerry Ryan Tonight (unmissable)
    Gerry Ryan's Hitlist (highlight of the winter schedule)
    Ryan Confidential
    Operation Transformation (An Ironic wet dream)

How many did you remember Bard?

So aside from radio Myers has a point.

mikom wrote: »
    How many did you remember Bard?

None. But then, I didn't attempt to remember any, as - as you rightly pointed out - this is the radio section.
    So aside from radio Myers has a point.

Just as well it IS radio we're discussing then, isn't it?

• Advertisement

Lucky for you.

To quote the great Mike 1972......

2FM may be profitable on paper but they seem to get a lot of hidden subsidy in the form of cross promotion from the Rte tv stations. Below cost office/studio space. Transmission and other shared facilities.
    Like it or not they are two of the Hydra's heads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Long gone from RTE I thought? He presents on 4FM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

miketv wrote: »
    Kevin Dawson mentioned that only 11 people wanted to talk about it on liveline last week... find that hard to believe

I sent in a text to liveline asking if they'd cover it. So 10 other people? I just dont believe it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

None. But then, I didn't attempt to remember any, as - as you rightly pointed out - this is the radio section.

If so then you are quoting Myers completely out of context - his point was that GR benefited from licence income- he was obviously referring to his total income including television.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Remember this next time RTE do a special on whistleblowers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I wonder will the red tops be reporting that the RTE campus is covered in snow? :D

• Advertisement

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    If so then you are quoting Myers completely out of context - his point was that GR benefited from licence income- he was obviously referring to his total income including television.

Myers was speaking on a radio programme about a radio presenter. He didn't make the distinction between Ryan's TV and radio incomes, he just jumped on the potentially inaccurate and frankly pointless "our license fee money is funding drug dealers" angle for sensationalist purposes. So no... I'm not quoting him out of context :)

Whether Ryan's salary was publicly funded or not, it was still his salary and it's not up to the public to tell him how it should be spent. If he wanted to shove some of it up his nose, that was up to him. My major issue with his and any publicly funded salary like that would be the sheer size of it, not what the recipient does with it.

I think Ray Foley's article on Joe.ie on the subject was bang on the money, by the way... http://www.joe.ie/joe-life/ray-foley/put-the-revelations-aside-and-remember-gerry-ryan-for-the-right-reasons-008213-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Whether Ryan's salary was publicly funded or not, it was still his salary and it's not up to the public to tell him how it should be spent. If he wanted to shove some of it up his nose, that was up to him. My major issue with his and any publicly funded salary like that would be the sheer size of it, not what the recipient does with it.

That about covers it for me. I could care less what someone spends their wages on...I'm a lot more worried about levels of pay funded (partly) from the public purse/license fee.
    Bard wrote:
    I think Ray Foley's article on Joe.ie on the subject was bang on the money, by the way... http://www.joe.ie/joe-life/ray-foley/put-the-revelations-aside-and-remember-gerry-ryan-for-the-right-reasons-008213-1

It's a worrying day indeed when I agree with Foley or that he seemingly speaks some sense.

Myers was speaking on a radio programme about a radio presenter. He didn't make the distinction between Ryan's TV and radio incomes, he just jumped on the potentially inaccurate and frankly pointless "our license fee money is funding drug dealers" angle for sensationalist purposes. So no... I'm not quoting him out of context :)

Gerry Ryan was not a radio presenter exclusively as we all know.

You put up the Myers quote in the context of whether (given the "old chestnut" of 2FM being self funding) GR could be considered to be a recipient of public money? That was the context and there was noting in your first post about people being free to chose what to spend their income on - it was just whether it was correct that GR was a recipient of public money, yes or no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭Cole

I hate to say I told you so about Gareth O'Callaghan.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/ocallaghan-tells-gardai-he-doesnt-know-gerry-coke-dealer-2471659.html

He's always been so deluded. He refers to Fiona Looney as sanctimonious....oh Gareth, pot...kettle.

Even when I was in school in the 80's and he was on Q102, I could sense the fakeness. Hopefully this will kill off his broadcasting career once and for all.

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    You put up the Myers quote in the context of whether (given the "old chestnut" of 2FM being self funding) GR could be considered to be a recipient of public money? That was the context and there was noting in your first post about people being free to chose what to spend their income on - it was just whether it was correct that GR was a recipient of public money, yes or no.

That's right, but that doesn't mean that I quoted Myers out of context.

The answer to the question I posed was that YES, 2fm is funded by advertising and not the license fee. However, while it's clear that he WAS a recipient of public money through his TV work - it's still irrelevant to any discussion about Ryan using illegal substances and the license fee shouldn't come into it.

As I already said, in the part of my post that you're not replying to...

• Advertisement

As I already said, in the part of my post that you're not replying to...

Well in fact I did say you never mentioned any of this in the initial post quoting Myers.

You added this bit in a follow up post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

The answer to the question I posed was that YES, 2fm is funded by advertising and not the license fee. However, while it's clear that he WAS a recipient of public money through his TV work - it's still irrelevant to any discussion about Ryan using illegal substances and the license fee shouldn't come into it.

Are you absolutely sure that when RTE said 2fm made a yearly surplus, that the amount of money paid by RTE to Balcam Managent Ltd each year was a cost attributed to 2fm?

Though I do agree, Myers was off the mark. While I think it was utterly ridiculous for a 53 year old farther of 5 to be still taking cocaine, it was ultimately his money and his nose.

Rubik. wrote: »
    Are you absolutely sure that when RTE said 2fm made a yearly surplus, that the amount of money paid by RTE to Balcam Managent Ltd each year was a cost attributed to 2fm?

I don't think RTÉ did say that 2fm made a surplus this year actually.. as far as I'm aware, they made a loss. But that said, no - I'm not 100% sure that what they paid to Ryan's management company was attributed to the 2fm part of the budget but I'm fairly sure it was supposed to be.
    Though I do agree, Myers was off the mark. While I think it was utterly ridiculous for a 53 year old farther of 5 to be still taking cocaine, it was ultimately his money and his nose.

Exactly :) Well said.

I don't think RTÉ did say that 2fm made a surplus this year actually.. as far as I'm aware, they made a loss. But that said, no - I'm not 100% sure that what they paid to Ryan's management company was attributed to the 2fm part of the budget but I'm fairly sure it was supposed to be.

I dont agree Bard. RTE is one entity.. you cant pick out one division that is "performing" and isolate that, with the disclaimer that "our dept. is in profit"... The organisation LOST money last year.. it's as simple as that.. And no matter how they work the money around, the balance sheet is still the same..

I dont agree Bard. RTE is one entity.. you cant pick out one division that is "performing" and isolate that, with the disclaimer that "our dept. is in profit"...

Whether you think they can or not, they do. They break it down every year with their budget and departmental allocations.
    The organisation LOST money last year.. it's as simple as that.. And no matter how they work the money around, the balance sheet is still the same..

I'm not arguing that they didn't lose money. I said that they did, actually. What I was arguing was that certain costs are allocated to certain sections of the budget - i.e.: 2fm presenter salaries would be a part of the 2fm part of their radio budget, which is not license fee funded and is (usually) profit making. That's not moving money around - 2fm salaries belong in the 2fm section.

Advertisement