Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to purchase Sterling?

Options
  • 20-12-2010 4:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Morning, I am just wondering if anyone knows the best places to change euros into Sterling?

I have got approx €2000 that I want to change over to sterling however I am not sure where would give the best rate, least ammount of commison etc and also if I should change it now or wait till I get over to England in Jan.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

wolfnight wrote: »
    Morning, I am just wondering if anyone knows the best places to change euros into Sterling? I have got approx €2000 that I want to change over to sterling however I am not sure where would give the best rate, least ammount of commison etc
    Phone around the banks. Tell them how much you want to change and ask them how much they will give you. None of them will be magically better than the others.

Bank of Ireland do charge a reduced commission on any money you return if you are one of their customers.
    also if I should change it now or wait till I get over to England in Jan.
    Nobody know how things will change between now and then. So, rather than holding €2,000 in cash for the next few weeks, you might as well change in January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

Well if you are under 16 and a member of a credit union you get no charge as far as I know, maybe you have a younger family member?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭corkgal1981

No commission charged by An Post either, regardless of age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

Really? Do you need to be a member or are there any other terms and conditions to that?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Resi12 wrote: »
    Really? Do you need to be a member or are there any other terms and conditions to that?

Nope, you can just go in and get it. Depending on how busy they are that day, you might not be able to get a whole lot, but they don't charge commission and they stock US Dollars and Sterling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

All well and good, but what is their margin?

EUR1 appears to be USD1.31 = STG0.85
    An posts rates today were EUR1 = USD1.22 =STG 0.82

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

Victor wrote: »
    All well and good, but what is their margin?

EUR1 appears to be USD1.31 = STG0.85
    An posts rates today were EUR1 = USD1.22 =STG 0.82

was just going to say the same thing, their spread is massive ie the effective exchange rate. The same for the credit union. The banks have been best for me lately, I get my mum to do it for me because they have no commission for pensioners, it's only a couple of bob saved, but enough to shout her a lunch.

The easiest way to compare is to ask how much will they give you for the 2k after fees, commission etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

Almost nowhere charges commission anymore. They all just offer ripoff rates for cash.

Call your bank. Get a quote and book a rate with their international traders. I do this for any significant amount, though I think it has to be a bank transfer rather than cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭freelancerTax

You might get a better rate in one of the small shops that do currency exchange (avoid all the big heavily branded ones) in the u.k
    I can only speak of London but I have found them to be far closer to the actual rate than any bank

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Every bank charges commission for FX exchange. Depending on your account type you may avoid it. The amount the OP is talking about would mean there would be very little difference between the banks or FX exchange outlets. You'd spend more on phone calls than what you'd save calling around.

As for booking with there "International Dealers" most will laugh you off with the small amount and most do not offer deals on a straight forward cash sum. Its mainly for chq's.

As for charges, UB's max charge is 2.54 euro. But if your not a customer you'll only be able to exchange 1270 euro before having to run it through a UB account.

• Advertisement
Advertisement