Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom's ADSL Availability Checker

Options
  • 20-12-2010 9:42am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just curious really so perhaps Eircom can give me an answer on this,

Why does Eircom's ADSL checker give so little information?

Since 2002 BT Wholesale in the UK operate a ADSL checker which gives a estimation of the likely speed a customer's line will receive, it will also advise what types of Broadband are on the exchange (ADSL Max or ADSL2+).

So for example it gives: - http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome
    For Telephone Number XXXXXXXXXX on Exchange XXXXXX

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 7.5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 6.5Mbps and 8Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 15Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 8Mbps and 19.5Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 1.5Mbps and downstream line speed of 12Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 11Mbps and 13Mbps.

The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.

This checker information is available to every end user that has a BT Retail telephone number to check and is used by every ADSL provider that uses BT line's throughout the UK and while not always 100% accurate it is very very helpful

However by comparison Eircom's checker just says yes or no and merely suggests an upto 8MB package, this in no way lets the customer know what actual line speed they are likely to receive.

So why don't eircom actually provide any other useful information on their checker?

Its clear this information can be provided so why restrict it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Cabaal wrote: »
    Just curious really so perhaps Eircom can give me an answer on this,

Why does Eircom's ADSL checker give so little information?

Since 2002 BT Wholesale in the UK operate a ADSL checker which gives a estimation of the likely speed a customer's line will receive, it will also advise what types of Broadband are on the exchange (ADSL Max or ADSL2+).

So for example it gives: - http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

This checker information is available to every end user that has a BT Retail telephone number to check and is used by every ADSL provider that uses BT line's throughout the UK and while not always 100% accurate it is very very helpful

However by comparison Eircom's checker just says yes or no and merely suggests an upto 8MB package, this in no way lets the customer know what actual line speed they are likely to receive.

So why don't eircom actually provide any other useful information on their checker?

Its clear this information can be provided so why restrict it?

Hi Cabaal

good question.. I have to admit I do not have an answer for you:confused: but will do my best to get one.
    It certainly is an advantage to have an idea of your possible speeds and helpful to provide. Hope to have an answer this week.
    Tony

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Hi Cabaal

good question.. I have to admit I do not have an answer for you:confused: but will do my best to get one.
    It certainly is an advantage to have an idea of your possible speeds and helpful to provide. Hope to have an answer this week.
    Tony

Hi Tony,
    Thanks very much for the quick response, lets hope the people higher up are as quick to give a response :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Hi Cabaal

Received a quick response but afraid that no change possible there for foreseeable future.
    For now, we can only assess dB speeds manually through line tests.
    Tony

Advertisement