Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New extension 7 months old - Tiles are cracking

• 20-12-2010 10:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We got an extension done 7 months ago and in the past 2 weeks we heard loud banging noises and the floor tiles are cracking!

What is causing this and can it be fixed easily?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I would guess settlement. Its prob along the line where the extension meets the orig house.

A few photo's would help.

Its the reason i always rec people buy 2 sqm extra of the tiles. That 50 euro does not seem like an expensive purchase now.

Its a bitch and very annoying i know but really there is nothing can be done. It usually happens in the summer. What happens is the ground swells up from water in the winter and then shrinks in the summer. The resulting heave is settlement...if its any worse its subsidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

I would guess settlement. Its prob along the line where the extension meets the orig house.

A few photo's would help.

Its the reason i always rec people buy 2 sqm extra of the tiles. That 50 euro does not seem like an expensive purchase now.

Its a bitch and very annoying i know but really there is nothing can be done. It usually happens in the summer. What happens is the ground swells up from water in the winter and then shrinks in the summer. The resulting heave is settlement...if its any worse its subsidence.

Thanks. In our case it happended in the Winter only in the past couple of weeks! Yes, it's along the line where the exension meet the original house but it's also spreading into the extension as well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭North West

What are the tiles laid on ? concrete - timber -plywood ? .Basic cracking is normally due to expansion or contraction of what's under tile.

North West

North West wrote: »
    What are the tiles laid on ? concrete - timber -plywood ? .Basic cracking is normally due to expansion or contraction of what's under tile.

North West

Too true. however i always feel that people should lay lino or carpet in an extension for a year before laying times.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Too true. however i always feel that people should lay lino or carpet in an extension for a year before laying times.

And how are you meant to install your kitchen then and things like that??

• Advertisement

paddy147 wrote: »
    And how are you meant to install your kitchen then and things like that??

You are obviously a student of tile all the floor and lay the kitchen on top...

In this case i would do one of 2 things.

1. Do a dividing bar line at the join of the extension
    2. Keep extra tiles just in case.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

You are obviously a student of tile all the floor and lay the kitchen on top...

No actually.:)

Advertisement