Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interesting photo op tomorrow morning

• 20-12-2010 10:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/lunar-eclipse-to-turn-sky-blood-red-2467181.html

A blood red sky is expected over Ireland tomorrow morning in the middle of rush hour due to a total eclipse of the moon.

Millions of commuters are expected to do a double take when they see the sky turning red at around 8am.

Just before sunlight spills into Newgrange on the morning on the shortest day of the year, the totally eclipsed Moon will turn a deep red as it sets in the west.

The spectacular vision of the moon disappearing into the earth's shadow will be the last total eclipse Ireland will see for five years.

The chairman of Astronomy Ireland, David Moore, said it will be an extraordinary sight in Irish skies as people set off for work.

He said: "This has scared the living daylights out of people in the past especially if they are not expecting it."

The sight will be visible to millions of people and no viewing equipment will be necessary.

As the moon moves into the earth's shadow in the last eclipse of the decade the moon will slowly disappear in a growing darkness. But just when onlookers expect it to be completely hidden in a dark shadow, it begins to glow red.

The eclipse beings at 6.30am, when a small bite will be taken out of the moon's left edge.

The eclipse will be total from 7.40am until 8.53am by which time the sun will have risen.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭stunt_penguin

I'm debating whether to shoot stills or take 10 mins of video as it hits the horizon and make a timelapse....... hopefully the clouds stay away!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭WillyWonka

Nice one. Now....where to shoot...??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

WillyWonka wrote: »
    Nice one. Now....where to shoot...??

I'll be up Killiney hill myself. Great span across the city/ bay, from the quarry wall end, or near the Obelisk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭T-rev

Raging I will be in work. Please take loads of photos.

Does it matter what direction you're facing for this, or will it just cover the whole sky?

Might head out for a few shots of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

Does it matter what direction you're facing for this, or will it just cover the whole sky?

Might head out for a few shots of it.

Yes. It does matter what direction you're facing. You will need to be facing the moon. A lunar eclipse is when the earth moves between the sun and the moon, casting its shadow on to the moon. Although its quiet a special sight to behold, it’s not of the same magnitude as a solar eclipse. In effect, the moon will disappear for a short time. But the process is very much a localised one, insofar as anything you see changing will only be in the area of the moon. The rest of the sky will remain pretty much the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

In Photographers Ephimeris it looks like you will have a 10 minute window to catch all the action. (But i'm probably read it wnorg. :) )

Quote from Astronomy Ireland
    Just before sunrise on the Winter Solstice 2010, a Full Moon will turn red as it rests just above the western horizon. This event is known as a total lunar eclipse, as the Moon will move into Earth’s shadow. From 6:32am, you will be able to see the Moon gradually get darker as Earth’s shadow is cast upon it, and at 7:40am the Moon will have entered totality.

Pity i'll be tucked up all snuggly in bed at that hour.... :P

140162.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Any suggestions in the Carlow area to shoot this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭golfman

I'd be interested in a bit of this. Wrap up well though! I live in Artane, where do you think would be a good spot to take pictures of this that's local? At first I though Dlollymount beach would be a good spot but from that map it looks like I'll be taking snaps towards the sand dunes....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Howth would be good

• Advertisement

I was gonna head to the Boyne Viaduct in Drogheda, but any decent shots of that have to be taken facing east.

Don't think I'll bother now. I don't even think I'd be able to find the moon. I'll stay in bed :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Morf3h

I don't even think I'd be able to find the moon. I'll stay in bed :(

Ask this guy:

astronaut.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Hmmm...extra few minutes in a warm bed, or brave the sub zero temps in freezing dense fog in the hope of getting a good shot...decisions decisions????

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Nforce wrote: »
    Hmmm...extra few minutes in a warm bed, or brave the sub zero temps in freezing dense fog in the hope of getting a good shot...decisions decisions????

Ahh come on, is there really a decision to be made ;). It's worth loosing a few minutes in bed for something that only comes around every 5 or so years....

:D

I'd a nice location planned too..10 minute drive away,but don't have a decent wide angle lens and would have to make do with a 18-70 kit lens.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Pan a few shots and stitch them together when you get home into the warmth with a nice hot chocolate :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

Haha I was going to chance it tomorrow as-well with a kit lens, but all I will be capturing is a glorified white pixel. Ah well someday I get myself a proper lens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Argh, this is gonna be hard to time with work. The easiest thing would be to take the camera to work, but it's not exactly the most picturesque...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Have to start work at 7 tomorrow. Devastated :(

Nforce wrote: »

Just go out and take a photo when you get out of bed, adjust the hue of the sky, and come in here bragging about the class shot you got. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Saw the eclipse - but where's the red sky they were talking about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

PDN wrote: »
    Saw the eclipse - but where's the red sky they were talking about?

Same as - think the sun coming up cocked it up on us... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

I must be mad, -13.5C outside. Just a quick one I ran through LR.

5279875848_f404005dd5_z.jpg
    Total eclipse of the moon by cilldara, on Flickr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭maddogcollins

We had a lovely thick covering of fog so saw no eclipse, although when the fog cleared a little you could see some red in the sky alright (not alot tho).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Morf3h

I was there too. It was crap :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Well there's a lesson for me not to believe everything I read in the papers!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 henna

A few taken in East Cork.....

140241.jpg

140242.jpg

:D:D

Very dense freezing fog here...no sign of the moon :(
    I did get to see a few cars spinning off the road in front of me while doing the school run though...must remember to set up my dashcam again :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

kjt wrote: »
    Ahh come on, is there really a decision to be made ;). It's worth loosing a few minutes in bed for something that only comes around every 5 or so years....

Actually, there are usually about 7 to 12 lunar eclipses each year. That this one fell on the solstice is unusual enough. The first time in about 400 years, so its special enough alright and def worth getting up early to see :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Totally clouded over in Kerry, I saw it through fog in Tralee, but had no camera.

This is a nice time lapse by Peter Cox:

http://vimeo.com/18042394

Advertisement