Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failed hard Drive

Options
  • 20-12-2010 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭

Well guys not a huge techie here but pretty sure my hard drive is after packing up, tried using system restore from CD etc and not getting anywhere,
    I'd be happier replacing the HD as I've had trouble before with it, I've a complete backup on a removeble drive from 12/11, would like to try save some more from past month but we'll get to that later, so I know how to remove the current drive and its an 80gb size (Dell OptiplexGX 520) so I figure I can add a new drive with larger capacity any suggestions, thus I'd need to install XP pro again I've found a CD Reinstallation CD XP Service pack 2, is this all I need for a full reinstall of XP PRO, will I require a key for it as I don't have one, I know I'll then have to reinstall all the software I require, does the new drive come with a new power cable to attach to the PC i notice the pc only has one installed? after all this would it be possible to save anything from the other drive?

any help appreciated, this is a work pc and is required back up soon, we've not a lot of spare cash as you can imagine in these times thus my attempt to do the work ourselves

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭ballinue

first of all has your drive stopped running you said you tried system restore
    so I presume it must be running . You will require Xp Professional
    with service pack 3 for a full reinstall of OS, you will get the key with the software. New drives you would connect by removing old HDD and fit new
    in place of old drive. If your old drive has stopped running altogether there is
    a maybe one chance to get your data off it by putting it in the freezer for
    some time but I would not try this until you have your system up an running
    again and all other methods have failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

When you boot the computer do you get any errors. Does a blue screen appear. Does the windows logo appear. Do you hear any mechanical sounds.

How old is the computer. Do know the difference between a sata cable and an IDE cable. New HD's use sata, but yours maybe pata/ide. Any HD I've bought came with the cables as well. Depending on the age of your motherboard it might not have a sata port. So you would need an adapter in that case.

One method is to use a linux cd such as ubuntu. It has a live mode that doesn't need the hard drive. You can then browse the HD and copy the data to another location. Can give detailed instructions if need be. You will need access to a working machine and cd burner.

EDIT: The HD maker will have hard drive tools that can restore/fix HD's. There are also some general free programs available. Again you will need access to a cd burner to use these.

Spinrite is a tool that can restore hard drives, it costs $80.

Dell machines normally have a sticker with the serial number for windows. Have you checked the whole tower. Or use a program to find the number

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Try the software tools above, and before handing it over for repair, get a plastic sealable bag and stick it in the freezer for 20 mins.

My hard drive failed not long ago and the only way to recover the data was to stick it in the freezer for a while then reconnect it back up to the PC. Kept going for 3 hours before it conked out again. Managed to back up most of the data before I put it back in the freezer again :)

Advertisement