Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow Bittorrent on UPC!

• 20-12-2010 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey guys,

I just switched over to UPC and have been quite pleased with the service. Downloading via Bittorrent has been a nightmare however. With my last ISP, at least I got a steady 500 kb/s. With UPC, I'm getting 27.3 kb/s max despite having 33+ full seeders for each file.

I originally thought that it was just UPC throttling me, but over the past 2 days, not one of the files have finished. What's the point of internet if you can't download anything? Someone sent me a link where you could check if you're being throttled, and the site indicated that there were no signs of throttling.

I acknowledge that the Cisco router they supplied me is crap. I am looking into bridging it with another router I have, but that shouldn't necessarily fix the problem will it? It's not just a crappy wireless connection because I have disabled it and plugged my computer in via lan to check. As per some of the recommendations on this board, I disabled the "IP Flood Detection" and that helped with the disconnects during browsing, but not the downloading. I even disabled the firewall protection on both my computer and the router to make sure that wasn't the problem.

Does anyone have any recommendations (aside from switching over to something like rapidshare, which is plausable, but not ideally what I'm looking for)?

Thanks everyone in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

Just because there is tons of seeders listed on the torrent program doesn't mean they are all uploading.. it's just a list of seeders in the tracker.

most torrent clients can indicate if you are having NAT type issues. You should ensure you have the ports you are using forwarded on the router to get full green lights. Don't rely on just having upnp enabled - not all routers implement it equally.

If your still having issues look to configure the number of connections in the torrent client. Try something like 50 global connections and increase over time - make sure your global and then the total of number per torrent, and number of simultaneous uploads and downloads match also.
    Some routers just stink when it comes to lots of connections. It's been a while but I think I had to limit the cisco router to 120 connections.

Also - highly recommend you move your ports away from the default in the client. Should increase your security AND reduce the likelihood of UPC shaping your torrent traffic.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

beabear wrote: »

Does anyone have any recommendations (aside from switching over to something like rapidshare, which is plausable, but not ideally what I'm looking for)?

Thanks everyone in advance!

Turn off the flood protection on the router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Spear wrote: »
    Turn off the flood protection on the router.
    beabear wrote: »
    As per some of the recommendations on this board, I disabled the "IP Flood Detection" and that helped with the disconnects during browsing, but not the downloading.
    feel free to PM me links to the torrents you're having trouble downloading and i'll test from from my end if you like.

have you tried a different torrent client to see if it makes any difference?

i used to use azereus but the more recent versions started to get really bloating imho, particularly when they stated using the vuze name, but making the switch to utorrent has made all the difference for me and all my torrents fly along very nicely even when using public trackers.

PM me the links anyway if you like and i'll test them out and let you know how long they take to finish and if i have any issues.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement