Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Digiwebs metro ever go to 24Mb ?

• 20-12-2010 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭

Like the metro product .. but can get 24Mb from other providers now.

Just wondering when digiweb will upgrade their 2 year old 12Mb highest speed offering..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Even the 12Mbps assumes few people will buy it.

Digiweb would be mad to offer a higher speed on Metro.

Realistically they would have to get x3 to x4 spectrum from Comreg. I don't think it exists.

Note that the AVERAGE speed possible for phone line "up to" 24Mbps ADSL2+ is only 6Mbps to 9Mbps. ADSL speed depends on cross talk a little and a lot on Line length.

In reality only UPC has ability to offer a minimum Speed more than 8, 15 or 30MBps. Digiweb/Smart, Magnet and BT Business have some fibre that can go to high speeds. But very limited roll out compared to UPC Cable.

"Up to" 8Mbps DSL is on average 3Mbps. NGB or not.

Both original ADSL and ADSL2+ have minimum speed of 1Mbps

8Mbps Metro delivers a minimum of about 7.5Mbps. Someplaces maybe less, depending on users. Raising the Cap lowers the minimum speed.

So really the only hope for "Real" higher speeds is Cable or Fibre. Digiweb/Smart, Magnet and BT Business have some fibre.

Also is Digiweb going to massively invest in new base station gear and extra spectrum licences (which are likely not available) if in March/April the new Government announces a Massive NBS with Fibre?

I'd for sure not buy shares in Imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

so thats a no then! :p

right I'll get on to the other guys so .. sigh

Fibre or Cable are the only alternatives.

24Mbps phone line is mostly fantasy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

is the digiweb dsl "home offer" package better than the fixed wireless metro "home" package?

http://www.digiweb.ie/home/broadband/dsl/

http://www.digiweb.ie/home/broadband/metro/index.html

anyone have experience with either? ...the 100gb limit is nice on the dsl but the upload is terrible, im sure 60gb is enough

Im sure i can get upc, but i have a feeling the line sucks for broadband :S

DSL = eircom phone line
    UPC = coax cable. TV is optional. No eircom line. Option for phone via the Broadband
    Metro = Similar system to UPC, but over wireless. Coax only to outdoor Radio unit. No eircom line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The Metro is actually excellent,I know quite a few people with it who have no complaints,consistent speeds and no problems.
    You rarely if ever get somebody posting on Boards complaining about Metro (not like another company, Imagine-cough....)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭chrabo

Digiweb using system made by UPC in Dundalk, at max speed its just over 10mb, this system cant gave u more.
    Just UPC can make a sense, i pay for 10mb getting 4,5mb??.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

watty wrote: »
    DSL = eircom phone line
    UPC = coax cable. TV is optional. No eircom line. Option for phone via the Broadband
    Metro = Similar system to UPC, but over wireless. Coax only to outdoor Radio unit. No eircom line

thx for that

ive narrowed it down to the metro or upc really, we had awful issues with eircom in the past with the line and gotta drop the eircom line...

We already get tv from UPC, but it is analog tv! but has the digital package? ...recently the box (an old ntl decoder type box) switched to the UPC interface on the tv, and according to the UPC map, the 3 upc (phone/bb/phone) services are available here :| ...but then again we have sky in one room too...

Could just get metro+phone and use sky boxes instead of upc at all! rather weird scenario for the services we have

/kinda stole the thread sry

Advertisement