Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who is the father of Jesus?

• 20-12-2010 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭

I was wondering about this recently.

If it was the Holy Spirit who came down and impregnated Mary, does that not make the Holy spirit Jesus' father, and not God?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

AntiMatter wrote: »

If it was the Holy Spirit who came down and impregnated Mary, does that not make the Holy spirit Jesus' father, and not God?

The Holy Spirit is God.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭AntiMatter

Wicknight wrote: »

So, Jesus is God also, and not the son of God?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

*Paging Jeremy Kyle to the Christianity forum*

The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. In one. You could argue that Jesus was His own father. Think about that one for a while :pac:

Important to remember that God, in all forms, exists outside of time so our thinking of who is who's father chronologically speaking is never quite going to explain it.

So, any references in the Gospels from Jesus about his father, were actually about himself?

So, any references in the Gospels from Jesus about his father, were actually about himself?

Jesus was trying to explain it as best he could. Two millennia on and we're still not that much closer to understanding it fully, as there's plenty of debate about the whole thing.

• Advertisement

So, Jesus is God also, and not the son of God?

Are you aware of the Christian concept of the trinity?

If not have a read of the Wikipedia page, it should explain it pretty well.

Are you aware of the Christian concept of the trinity?

If not have a read of the Wikipedia page, it should explain it pretty well.

I had a look there. It says it was a concept invented by later Christians and that there's no specific mention of it in the Bible.

It doesn't exactly help clear matters up.

I had a look there. It says it was a concept invented by later Christians and that there's no specific mention of it in the Bible. It doesn't exactly help clear matters up.

Not exactly. Different people have different interpretations of what it might mean, usually, the Trinity is three forms of one being, or that the Trinity is three beings with the one object or purpose. All three forms are referenced many times in the Bible...

http://www.gotquestions.org/Trinity-Bible.html

I had a look there. It says it was a concept invented by later Christians and that there's no specific mention of it in the Bible.

It doesn't exactly help clear matters up.

That isn't quite what it says. The Trinity is an interpretation of what Jesus said about the Father, Son and Holy Ghost.

Jesus repeatably referred to himself as God. He also speaks of his Father, and of the Holy Spirit, as God. The Trinity is the most common interpretation of what he meant.

So, in essence, God sent a part of himself to give birth to another part of himself?

• Advertisement

So, in essence, God sent a part of himself to give birth to another part of himself?

Or you could say he gave birth to part of himself, so he'd have to send part of himself.

Yes, the Bible states in a number of places that The Father sent the Son be born as a man.

prinz wrote: »
    Or you could say he gave birth to part of himself, so he'd have to send part of himself.

So, I should ignore all references to Jesus as the Son of God, Matthew 26:63-64, for example?

So, I should ignore all references to Jesus as the Son of God, Matthew 26:63-64, for example?

Did I say that? If you read back through my posts on this thread you'll see what I actually meant.

Did I say that? If you read back through my posts on this thread you'll see what I actually meant.

You told me Jesus isn't the son of God, so I'm asking if I should ignore Jesus when he claims to be the son of God?

You told me Jesus isn't the son of God, so I'm asking if I should ignore Jesus when he claims to be the son of God?

No I didn't....and if you bothered to go back through my posts on this thread as suggested I pointed out that Jesus tried to explain the set-up in terms as simple as possible for humanity to understand, Father-son, being the most obvious. I also explained the God is outside of our understanding of time, hence the tongue-in-cheek reference to doing things backwards.

Edit: Side note as you are fond of Matthew 5, check out what Jesus calls the peacekeepers...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Why is this so hard for people to understand?

This is what I was always thought - Jesus is the METAPHORICAL son of God! We are all METAPHORICAL children of God, and therefore METAPHORICAL BROTHERS AND SISTERS of Jesus.

To ask who is the maternal genetic contributer to the flesh-and-blood version of God (jesus), the answer is that the Holy Spirit is. He performed a miracle and Mary conceiced without having sex. Hence why she'd referred to as the "Virgin" Mary.

Ultimately, there is one God. When he decided to incarnate himself as a human, he became Jesus, and when he decides to float around doing random acts of goodness, he is the Holy Spirit. When He's just chilling, watching telly, or basking in the worship of his followers in heaven, he's who's referred to as God "The Father".

It really p!sses me off when shows like Family Guy show two different characters, Jesus and The Father, making out that Jesus is not actually God.

No I didn't....and if you bothered to go back through my posts on this thread as suggested I pointed out that Jesus tried to explain the set-up in terms as simple as possible for humanity to understand, Father-son, being the most obvious. I also explained the God is outside of our understanding of time, hence the tongue-in-cheek reference to doing things backwards.

You said God gave birth to himself, in post 12. So when Jesus claims to be the son of God, even if he only put it that way as the simplest explanation for humanity as you put it, you're claiming that's not the actual story. It's merely a metaphor, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Nobody is saying that. Christians believe that God (that is to say God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit) are eternal and uncreated. Jesus wasn't suddenly created when he was conceived; he always existed. Read the link on the Trinity. It is central to an orthodox understanding of Christianity.

You said God gave birth to himself, in post 12. So when Jesus claims to be the son of God, even if he only put it that way as the simplest explanation for humanity as you put it, you're claiming that's not the actual story. It's merely a metaphor, right?

The Son existed before Jesus. Jesus is the son in human form. The Father sent the Son to be born and die as a man. The Son was not created when Jesus was born, he always existed.

Seriously, did you read the Wikipedia article at all?

• Advertisement

newmug wrote: »

To ask who is the maternal genetic contributer to the flesh-and-blood version of God (jesus), the answer is that the Holy Spirit is. He performed a miracle and Mary conceiced without having sex. Hence why she'd referred to as the "Virgin" Mary.

Well, that's exactly what I thought. The Holy Ghost seems to have played the role of incubus.

I'm not sure knowledge is sought in this case.

Jesus, God the Father and the Holy Spirit are three manifestations of the one godhead. Jesus was a 'son' certainly as far as His human incarnation is concerned. Jesus was not a son in the sense of a conventional human father-son relationship or time line.

Nobody is saying that. Christians believe that God (that is to say God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit) are eternal and uncreated. Jesus wasn't suddenly created when he was conceived; he always existed. Read the link on the Trinity. It is central to an orthodox understanding of Christianity.
    The Son existed before Jesus. Jesus is the son in human form. The Father sent the Son to be born and die as a man. The Son was not created when Jesus was born, he always existed.

So, the Son was always about?

Are there earlier references to him in the Bible?

So, the Son was always about?

Are there earlier references to him in the Bible?

Read the article that Wicknight provided. It is quite comprehensive as an introduction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

Read the article that Wicknight provided. It is quite comprehensive as an introduction.

I have, and the only references to the Son appear to be in the New Testament.

And? Are you Jewish?

And? Are you Jewish?

:confused:

You said, in your post, 'the Son existed before Jesus', so I was just asking if there were any references to this in the bible.

• Advertisement

There are hundreds of references/prophecies of Jesus and the Messianic coming...

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Isaiah+9%3A6&version=NIV

A son will be given.....called Everlasting Father?

:confused:

You said, in your post, 'the Son existed before Jesus', so I was just asking if there were any references to this in the bible.

Which you already know the answer to, you just gave it to me.

and I'm asking why that is an issue for you, that these references are "only" in the New Testament. Are you Jewish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

obvious troll is so bloody obvious!

Which you already know the answer to, you just gave it to me.

and I'm asking why that is an issue for you, that these references are "only" in the New Testament. Are you Jewish?

Who said it was an issue?

You, and FC, said the Son always existed, I merely asked if there were any references to this.

What does Jewishness have to do with anything?

Yes, the concept of the Trinity - that Jesus was one part of the Triune nature of God - is a Christian concept. Christians believe that the whole point of the Old Testament (which is not so much a list of rules as it is a recording of God's interactions with his people) is that it pointed towards Christ . This wasn't revealed in a complete fashion (here is a book telling you exactly how it's going to be). Rather, it was done over many generations and in terms of gradual understanding - revelation if you will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

In the non Christian world these events are usually considered artificial insemination events.

In alien abduction events women describe being probed and inseminated without sex.

it's not an unusual theme in the ancient and modern world.

• Advertisement

Who said it was an issue?

You did, with the use of "only" in the sentence, as if this was some how lacking.
    You, and FC, said the Son always existed, I merely asked if there were any references to this.

There are, as you me and FC has already said. When presented with that you said they were "only" in the New Testament.
    What does Jewishness have to do with anything?

Jews reject the New Testament as having validity. I'm wondering why you seem unsatisfied with references to the New Testament.

You did, with the use of "only" in the sentence, as if this was some how lacking.

There are, as you me and FC has already said. When presented with that you said they were "only" in the New Testament.
    I asked for references, FC told me to read the wiki article, and the only references I could find are in the New Testament.

What's so strange about me asking if there are any earlier references?

Jews reject the New Testament as having validity. I'm wondering why you seem unsatisfied with references to the New Testament.

I can assure you, despite my being circumcised, I'm not Jewish.

I asked for references, FC told me to read the wiki article, and the only references I could find are in the New Testament.

What's so strange about me asking if there are any earlier references?

Nothing. What is wrong with the earlier references in the New Testament? There are many places in the New Testament that refer to God the Son existing before Jesus' birth. Is that not early enough?

Nothing. What is wrong with the earlier references in the New Testament?

It just makes the concept of the Holy Trinity seem a little shallow, to me, if, despite his eternal existence, there are no previous references to the Son.

Edit; you edited. Can you point me to these references, please?

It just makes the concept of the Holy Trinity seem a little shallow, to me, if, despite his eternal existence, there are no previous references to the Son.

Then don't be a Christian.

• Advertisement

AntiMatter, people have patient with you, but it seems you are impervious any attempts at dialogue. Unless you have an astounding point beyond "I'm not a Christian and I don't find the Trinity to be convincing" then I'm locking this.

So no references then?

So no references then?

The references are (as you yourself have already said) in the Wikipedia you have apparently already read.

The references are (as you yourself have already said) in the Wikipedia you have apparently already read.

I can find none to underwrite the claims in this thread of the Son having existed before the birth of Jesus.

I can find none to underwrite the claims in this thread of the Son having existed before the birth of Jesus.

Fine. But let's not pretend that you were ever looking.

Assuming you ever come back to this question with genuine interest (as oppose to the pretence that is on display here), you might findthis talk by Tom Wright interesting. It relates to my earlier post (35).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement