Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BROKEN ELECTRIC SHOWER - FROZEN PIPES???

Options
  • 20-12-2010 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I know everyone has a problem with pipes and water and the weather, if anyone can help me I would really appreciate it. I have an electric shower (upstairs), got up yesterday and switched it on, however, no water came out, very frustrating. All the electrics are working ( well noise coming from the shower), could it be frozen pipes or do you think the shower is actually broken....all the other pipes in the house are ok, washing machine going ok, water in kitchen and bathrooms....would be really helpful before I have to get someone out and they charge me all sorts of money, that I really don't have.

Thank you in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

More than likely a frozen pipe in the attic.

I experienced exactly the same issue last year.

Once the pipe thaws out the shower should be fine.

Don't turn the shower on for long periods without water passing through it as it may cause damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

If you can, you'd be well advised to turn off the supply from the tank to the shower (in the attic) until its defrosted - then when you're turning it back on, you'll be there to turn it off again if it turns out that the pipe has burst. If it bursts and you're not there, you could have massive water damage. Naturally don't attempt to use it when the water to it is turned off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Same thing happened my shower today. I took out the filter and no water. I have water every where else so I am wondering why it is only the shower that is frozen.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭woolyhat

jpb1974 wrote: »
    More than likely a frozen pipe in the attic.

I experienced exactly the same issue last year.

Once the pipe thaws out the shower should be fine.

Don't turn the shower on for long periods without water passing through it as it may cause damage.

How long before it thaws out?

How long before it thaws out?

How long is a piece of string?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭loconnor1001

Same for me as well. All taps working everywhere else in the house, just the electric shower upstairs. Hopefully will thaw over the weekend, and hopefully I didn't cause damage when I tried to turn it on, only let it go for about 10 - 15 seconds, but still. I guess at least we have water in the rest of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

leave the attic hatch open a wee bit... to get warm air into the attic...

more advice on the plumbing&heating section

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Same thing happened my shower today. I took out the filter and no water. I have water every where else so I am wondering why it is only the shower that is frozen.

The pipe to your shower normally passes through the attic.

It could be in a colder spot than those supplying water to the sinks.

If you can get into the attic & follow the pipe from the tank to the direction of the shower, then that's the one - try heating it along the length with a hairdryer, without overheating it in spots as this could cause the pipe to split.

Alternatively you could leave the attic door open & the heating on, or put a heater in the attic to raise the air temperature by a few degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 groveman60

Some years ago, in an older house than this, the insulation of the water pipes in the loft left two pipe junctions uninsulated. There was severe frost one winter and the upstairs shower did not have a water flow one morning. When I went up in the attic to inspect the pipes, the frost had expanded the uninsulated junctions and forced the pipes out of the junctions.There was half an inch of solid ice where the pipes had been forced out.
    In the present spell of frosty weather I leave the hatch open a little.

The parents had the same issue earlier this week.

The father is fairly handy and found the affected pipe in the attic and managed to resolve the issue.

They have since bought a small fan heater and put it in the attic and leave it to run between circa midnight to 6am. This basically just takes the nip out of the air and prevents the cold from taking over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Make sure all exposed pipes in your attic are insulated,a lot of people didn't do it after last years big freeze and got caught out again.I checked mine a couple of weeks ago,found a couple of places that were missed and simply wrapped them in attic insulation.No problems so far touch wood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Ayman

Happened to me last year in the house I was in then. Boy what a noise those showers make when they're dry! Quite scary. Anyhow, I just left the attic door open for a couple of hours and did the trick nicely ;)

Advertisement