Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New routes from Ireland West Airport Knock

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Great news indeed. Congrats to Knock management in securing these routes and airlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

Great to see it expanding - would love a Malaga route twice weekly so you can get a 10 day holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

The convenience of Knock is unreal and long may it continue to expand. Pity they wouldn't desist with the €10 development charge because it does leave a bad taste.
    That said, the airport is a godsend for anyone living in the west of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

dec25532 wrote: »
    The convenience of Knock is unreal and long may it continue to expand. Pity they wouldn't desist with the €10 development charge because it does leave a bad taste.
    That said, the airport is a godsend for anyone living in the west of Ireland.

I've never had an issue paying the €10 because it actually is being spent on the development of the airport, on infrastructure and developing new routes. Consider how much you'd pay on the train, bus or in extra petrol/diesel by having to travel to Shannon or Dublin to get away, not to mention the cost of parking at Aer Rianta airports.

I've never had an issue paying the €10 because it actually is being spent on the development of the airport, on infrastructure and developing new routes. Consider how much you'd pay on the train, bus or in extra petrol/diesel by having to travel to Shannon or Dublin to get away, not to mention the cost of parking at Aer Rianta airports.

So your argument is that we must cough up a tenner because it is on our doorstep? Not good enough. Because it is expanding and adding on more routes, it must therefore increase business at the airport in Knock so there is a lesser requirement to extract what is another levy from passengers. And on a point of information, it is sometimes dearer to park in Knock than it is in Dublin. 10 day parking in Dublin is €55 compared to €62 in Knock for the same period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

So your argument is that we must cough up a tenner because it is on our doorstep?

It's entirely your choice as to whether or not you want to fly from Knock. If you choose to, it'll cost an extra tenner, if you choose to fly from somewhere else, best of luck to you. It's not like it's a shock to be told when you arrive that you have to pay the extra money. You know before you book the ticket that you're going to have to pay it. I'm flying to Stansted in February from Knock with Ryanair. It's costing me €12 return including taxes and the extra €10 makes it €22. It costs me €14 in a taxi home (6 miles) after a few pints so I know what I perceive to be value.
    And on a point of information, it is sometimes dearer to park in Knock than it is in Dublin. 10 day parking in Dublin is €55 compared to €62 in Knock for the same period.

Well seeing as you choose to be so selective, I'll point out the facts:

For the 10 day period that you use it will cost you €62 to park in Knock with a maximum 3 minute walk to the airport terminal.

For the same 10 day period, you're quite correct when you say that it costs €55 to park at Dublin airport - what you failed to point out is that there is also a 10-15 minute bus transfer because it's in the long term car park. The short term carpark which has a similar walking distance to Knock costs €200.

You said in an earlier post that Knock Airport is a Godsend. You're right, it's a huge facility for the region but if you have a problem with the €10 development fee, fly from somewhere else tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

Knock Airport is a wonderful facility in the West. I am originally from Dublin but live in the West now and I hate having to go near Dublin Airport. Knock is so handy and less stress. The facilities now at the airport are great. I am delighted to see new routes being added and it gives the people of the West an option when going abroad instead of having to head all the way to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Neworder79

The benefits of having direct air access far outweigh the fee, especially given the rising cost of petrol and distances to alternative airports. My company may not be in the West without that international access.

I think the problem is for incoming tourists or first-time users this fee model can seem like a surprise additional cost, your money or your flight. Some of the airlines have warning text but it could highlighted more clearly at booking.

It's a low-cos airline base and they are very cost sensitive especially at smaller scale airports. I don't have any info on the figures but I'd bet the airlines are getting a very good deal to bring new routes in. If added to the airline costs half them may not be there or the fares would be higher. Kerry, Waterford & Galway have added similar fees.

However I think they could do more to offset the negativity of fee, like lower parking costs for weekend stay (shortage of space could be the main issue here). The free WIFI is very popular and a good incentive which is normally charged for. They could also do more to educate customers as to how the money is spent.

As the previous poster said most routes are very competitive from Knock, I read a post on another forum by a mother from Cork who was booking her family summer holiday from Knock as it was over €1000 cheaper than from Cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Paddy McGinty

Well seeing as you choose to be so selective, I'll point out the facts:

Isn't it great to be a smart-arse..
    It's entirely your choice as to whether or not you want to fly from Knock. If you choose to, it'll cost an extra tenner, if you choose to fly from somewhere else, best of luck to you
    You said in an earlier post that Knock Airport is a Godsend. You're right, it's a huge facility for the region but if you have a problem with the €10 development fee, fly from somewhere else tbh.

Now close your eyes and use your imagination... imagine a picture of old Father Horan (god be good to him), dressed up in a knock airport uniform and standing there behind the counter collecting all those €10 fees..

Fr Horan: "that'll be €10 please or else you can't fly"

Visitor: "first I've heard of it, that doesn't seem fair"

Fr Horan: "fair?.. what d'you mean not fair?..that's the way we do it here guv.. do you wanna get home today or not?"

Visitor: "but there was nothing about this on the bmi website when i booked? Lots of stuff about insurance, advance passenger info, baggage charges but I didn't see anything about a departure fee?"

Fr Horan: "Oh, clever dick are we.. ok so it's not on the bmi website, I couldn't give a flying fcuk mate, just hand over the money.. haven't you heard there's a recession here?"

Visitor: "Yes I'm well aware there's a recession but how many €10 notes did you collect whilst you were feeding that big fat fcuking tiger?"

Fr Horan: "that's right we did collect it when we were all feeding the tiger, bloody good job else we'd have fcuk all in the coffers now! In fact we rely on you suckers coming and going."

Visitor: "..but I remember you at mass when I was a young boy. You'd built half the runway but then ran out of (mainly) government money. You used to organise extra collections after mass, not just here but all over the UK and parts of USA as well. What happened to all that?"

Fr Horan: "I've no idea mate. Look, I just work at the airport and they tell me to collect easy money off you suckers. They told me if anyone complains just show them the great big car park we had to build."

Visitor: "Yes I noticed the car park but fcuk me tarmac must be an awful price here if you've been collecting €10 off every mug for the past 25+ years and still need money supposedly for "development"?

Fr Horan: "ok I see your point but the fact is, people like me and my mate threebeards live around here and if it wasn't for the airport and you suckers using it, we'd be not only fcuked, but fcuked and unemployed"

Visitor: "here's your fcukin €10, suggest you spend it on "development" of some of your airport colleagues, maybe get them on some customer relations courses as most of them speak to people like $hit."

Fr Horan: "yeah whatever... haha another day another sucker".. "good afternoon madam, that'll be €10 please or else you can't fly"

<the end>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

10 euros to fly from Knock!!,,, (even with the parking) is nothing. Thank God for the airport.

Even for business in the west is great..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Paddy McGinty

I think you're missing the point Alex. Yes 10 euros - figuratively speaking - may be "nothing", but what have all those 10 euros been spent on? (before you say car parking, expansion or other development, please do your sums based on numbers of people travelling out of knock each year
    over the past 25 years+).

What happened to all the punts, sterling and dollars that went on those thousands of church plates when they ran out of money building the runway?.. indeed would anyone have donated had they known they'd have to pay again and again ad infinitum?

Did Monsignor Horan's vision for the west of Ireland include making a bunch of fat cats rich? indeed why did they drop the name 'Horan International Airport' before he'd barely gone cold?!

I believe what goes around comes around, so economically speaking, knock airport (or at least some of those who've milked it) is on the final approach to payback time. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Paddy I seriously doubt there are any 'fat cats' creaming off the airport, it just doesn't generate enough money for that to happen. In reality, next year there will be 17 scheduled routes from the airport being operated by five different airlines, which is a huge number for an airport with a small enough and very spread out catchment area.

The routes are not massively profitable to the airlines that run them at the prices we pay to fly. Ryanair are not exactly known for dishing out huge amounts of money to airports to operate from them and they operate 12 of the 17 routes. So to keep the airlines interested in the place its likely that in some cases the amounts they are charged directly to fly in and out are close to zero (and in some cases possibly less than zero - the development fee applies to route development as well as facility development!).

So to keep the place open and operating the fee is needed, before you even get to improving the infrastructure. Unfortunatley, unlike Shannon and Cork, Knock doesn't have the DAA in charge to bail it out year on year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭hsi

I think you're missing the point Alex. Yes 10 euros - figuratively speaking - may be "nothing", but what have all those 10 euros been spent on? (before you say car parking, expansion or other development, please do your sums based on numbers of people travelling out of knock each year
    over the past 25 years+).

What happened to all the punts, sterling and dollars that went on those thousands of church plates when they ran out of money building the runway?.. indeed would anyone have donated had they known they'd have to pay again and again ad infinitum?

Did Monsignor Horan's vision for the west of Ireland include making a bunch of fat cats rich? indeed why did they drop the name 'Horan International Airport' before he'd barely gone cold?!

I believe what goes around comes around, so economically speaking, knock airport (or at least some of those who've milked it) is on the final approach to payback time. ;)

The airport is a lot better than it was even 5 years ago. But I would like to know who the Fat Cats are?

And as a consumer if you don't want to pay the charge, then you can always travel to Dublin or Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 taurus83

I thank heavens that we have the airport on our doorstep and the €10 is not an issue for me - I would be spending a lot more getting to Dublin or Shannon. Agree on the point made that the low cost carriers sometimes pay zero fees to airports (or possibly less) so while there may be a lot of planes flying in and out that does not mean that there is money coming from them - the opposite may be true in some cases??
    Without the €10 fee I would put my neck out there and suggest that the airport could see its demise. I am sure people are spending a lot less in the airport. I for one now eat at home before travelling, both directions, and no longer buy as much in the duty free shops at airports, I have no issue with the parking fees but if someone is available to leave me there and collect me I will take the lift - these are not issues with the airport, it is me making cutbacks as I do not have the money I once used to have. So where else does the airport get its income? It is a privately owned company with no daa to help in the day to day running.

Viva knock it what I say!!

I would lay the 10 euros simply not have to wait 30 mins to pass security. What stess having to park in Dublin airport, get the shuttle bus, wait in line in security.

Love Knock, pity they don't have a route to heathrow

• Registered Users Posts: 6 kopbill78

Paddy, you obviously have a major issue with the airport. Its clear to see that without the development fee the airport wouldnt exist, its a regional airport and in order to survive it obviously needs this fee. Similar fees are being introduced at regional airports throughout the UK and Ireland and you will see more and more airports follow suit as airlines squeeze all they can from regional airports. Have you been to the airport recently? If so you will see all the major developments that have taken place there over the last few years which the developement fee has contributed towards, also the development fee is clearly featured on all airline websites at time of booking with exception of ryanair who apparently refuse to publish detaiuls of it. You can see all developments the dev fee has contributed to here http://www.irelandwestairport.com/airportguide/airportdevelopmentfee.aspx

Its a great facility and if dev fee is needed to keep it open im all for it

• Registered Users Posts: 7 taurus83

Kopbill78 - I agree with you. I have flown through Knock on a number of occasions and always see improvements. I gladly pay the €10 for the sheer convenience if there weren't half the developments. And it is great to see new destinations being added all the time. Thanks for the link btw - it is a lovely website, nice to see the live flight data on there.

Paddy - if you seriously disapprove the charge, then just don't use the airport, pay the €30 train ticket and fly from Dublin if it bothers you that much!!!!! :)

Family of Six here, Booked flights and accomodation for 800 euros x knock to tenerife!!!...

I have no problem paying the 60 euro departure fee.. Still a LOT cheaper than having to go to dublin.

Thanks for the new routes from Knock ryanair!!!>..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

hsi wrote: »
    Family of Six here, Booked flights and accomodation for 800 euros x knock to tenerife!!!...

I have no problem paying the 60 euro departure fee.. Still a LOT cheaper than having to go to dublin.

Thanks for the new routes from Knock ryanair!!!>..

€800 for six - that sounds like a great deal. I reckon Knock could have a big future in terms of the bucket and spade leisure routes, people are willing to travel from a wider catchment area for these longer distance flights than they would be for hops to and from the UK, also when you are going on holidays the last thing you want to deal with is the stress and hassle of a major airport like Dublin and why bother when you can take it easy and have a pint in the bar at Knock. :)

€800 for six - that sounds like a great deal. I reckon Knock could have a big future in terms of the bucket and spade leisure routes, people are willing to travel from a wider catchment area for these longer distance flights than they would be for hops to and from the UK, also when you are going on holidays the last thing you want to deal with is the stress and hassle of a major airport like Dublin and why bother when you can take it easy and have a pint in the bar at Knock. :)

For Sure!!, Although flying with Ryanair carries its own stess with not having assigned seating (when you have kids) but what he heck.

But Give me knock airport anyday!,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

I've just noticed that some people are asking what the 10 euro that has been collected over the past 25 years has been spent on.

Although I am not to happy about this charge I understand how it came about.
    When EU rules decreed that duty free sales at airports would not apply to flights within the EU, Knock Airport suddenly found that it's profits were down by, if I remember correctly, about 750,000 euro per year !!!.
    The charge was then brought in to help offset this and to ensure the expansion of the airport. This was sometime, I think, around the year 2000, NOT 25 years ago.

Found this on another forum

Dear Ms Sarah, Great to see your excellent question!! I work at Knock airport(EIKN) and i can answer your question! Knock airport does not make large or vast profits yearly,,yes its passenger numbers are vastly increasing beyond 750,000 but this does not mean its making money! people dont spend money at the airport anymore and their isn't much extra income generated from extra passengers if they do not spend money up their! the airport has vast expenses such as staff, electricity and RYANAIR! in order to get the GANGSTER michael o'leary and his airline to fly into here the airport pays them directly to give incentive to come here hence we have 7 ryanair routes to date! the fact is without ryanair the airport wouldnt be open although! these payments to ryanair arent officialy confirmed by the airport as they can be illegel etc but how do you think ryanair come to the bogland west of ireland! its the same story for most airports in europe and ryanair are in the centre of many cases in the eu at the minute regarding illegal payments to them by airports relying on their routes for example Brussel charleroi airport! Also the Irish govt in the form of brian cowen does not pump any money into any regional airport in ireland today so how can they improve their infrastructures and services without funding! in the past years 2 relatively small payments have been made to knock airport but only because EU made the govt! by charging 10euro it provides key finance to upgrade the airport hence look at it now..new terminal and ramp area and upgrade air traffic control systems to prevent diversions in bad weather but yet their is much more to do! the airport has improved drastically and is up their internationally now and long may it continue! but you must not know that dublin airport currently charges 12.60euros to passengers but instead of getting it in cash like knock they charge it to the airlines and is put in taxes bill on the flight total!! so knocks 10euro is nothing compared to dublins expensive secretive a little charge! The 10euro charge will continue at the minute not very far beyond 2010 unless a new government under fine gael can be elected they promise investement into our regional very important airports providing more jobs and more tourism! hope you are educated better and dont be afraid to share your new found knowledge from myself who works on the frontline of the airport!

Also remember for those Families traveling, Children under 16 don't pay the charge.

Personally I am happy to pay it for the very fact I DON'T have to go to dublin and queue in security

hsi wrote: »
    Found this on another forum

Dear Ms Sarah, Great to see your excellent question!! I work at Knock airport(EIKN) and i can answer your question! Knock airport does not make large or vast profits yearly,,yes its passenger numbers are vastly increasing beyond 750,000 but this does not mean its making money! people dont spend money at the airport anymore and their isn't much extra income generated from extra passengers if they do not spend money up their! the airport has vast expenses such as staff, electricity and RYANAIR! in order to get the GANGSTER michael o'leary and his airline to fly into here the airport pays them directly to give incentive to come here hence we have 7 ryanair routes to date! the fact is without ryanair the airport wouldnt be open although! these payments to ryanair arent officialy confirmed by the airport as they can be illegel etc but how do you think ryanair come to the bogland west of ireland! its the same story for most airports in europe and ryanair are in the centre of many cases in the eu at the minute regarding illegal payments to them by airports relying on their routes for example Brussel charleroi airport! Also the Irish govt in the form of brian cowen does not pump any money into any regional airport in ireland today so how can they improve their infrastructures and services without funding! in the past years 2 relatively small payments have been made to knock airport but only because EU made the govt! by charging 10euro it provides key finance to upgrade the airport hence look at it now..new terminal and ramp area and upgrade air traffic control systems to prevent diversions in bad weather but yet their is much more to do! the airport has improved drastically and is up their internationally now and long may it continue! but you must not know that dublin airport currently charges 12.60euros to passengers but instead of getting it in cash like knock they charge it to the airlines and is put in taxes bill on the flight total!! so knocks 10euro is nothing compared to dublins expensive secretive a little charge! The 10euro charge will continue at the minute not very far beyond 2010 unless a new government under fine gael can be elected they promise investement into our regional very important airports providing more jobs and more tourism! hope you are educated better and dont be afraid to share your new found knowledge from myself who works on the frontline of the airport!

This person might well work at Knock Airport but by the way that he/she has managed to mangle the english language I would say that he or she is way down the food chain, so I will take this with a large pinch of salt.:D

BTW, my earlier posting, regarding the 10 euro charge, was based on an interview given on Mid & NorthWest Radio (as it was then) and on RTE1 news.

The point that is being missed is that Knock is the only airport that flies to European destinations that charges a €10 development fee. You could understand it being charged in the initial stages but now it is much busier with flights to the Algarve and three of the Canary Islands as well as the domestic flights to the UK. It is a much busier airport than Farranfore in Kerry or Derry Airport and neither of these charge a development fee. Don't let convenience cloud the fact that this has become an unnecessary levy on those using Knock Airport.

The point that is being missed is that Knock is the only airport that flies to European destinations that charges a €10 development fee. You could understand it being charged in the initial stages but now it is much busier with flights to the Algarve and three of the Canary Islands as well as the domestic flights to the UK. It is a much busier airport than Farranfore in Kerry or Derry Airport and neither of these charge a development fee. Don't let convenience cloud the fact that this has become an unnecessary levy on those using Knock Airport.

Ryanair pays no Airport fees, 0.00 EUR Taxes, Fees & Charges

Knock could always charge them to the Airlines and then have them pass it on to customer.

Either way you are going to pay the fees.

The airport will only stay open if it makes a profit or break even, So whatever way it wants to fund it, well thats their decision.

Simple fact for me even with the 10euro departure fee, its still a lot cheaper flying from Knock than from Dublin. And also less stessful.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭RMDrive

They should consider how the charge is presented to the customer. I don't really mind paying it cause Knock is so convenient however if you are not used to flying from they it can be confusing cause you are not notified of it when booking your tickets.
    Also the grumpy person in the security booth looking for the money doesn't help either.
    Maybe stick up a few posters demonstrating how the money is being spent and how important the airport is to the local economy (it's 8 months since I was there so apologies if this exists).
    So by all means charge the fee but have a wee think about how it can be best pitched to the customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

RMDrive wrote: »
    They should consider how the charge is presented to the customer. I don't really mind paying it cause Knock is so convenient however if you are not used to flying from they it can be confusing cause you are not notified of it when booking your tickets.
    Also the grumpy person in the security booth looking for the money doesn't help either.
    Maybe stick up a few posters demonstrating how the money is being spent and how important the airport is to the local economy (it's 8 months since I was there so apologies if this exists).
    So by all means charge the fee but have a wee think about how it can be best pitched to the customer.

Have to agree with ya RM, anyone going through knock that did not know about the charge would think that they were been robbed. Although your flight tickets shows no taxs/charges, it should tell you on the ticket that this €10 is charged at the airport ( cash ).

• Advertisement
Advertisement