Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking Xmas Turkey

Options
  • 20-12-2010 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

This is my first Xmas cooking as I always traveled home for it. Im not a fan of cooking bones so I don't want to cook a big turkey. As its just my boyfriend and myself, I was planning on getting turkey fillets or just alot of turkey off the bone but I'm afraid that the turkey will turn out really dry. So I'm just wondering is there any way I can cook my turkey so it will have lots of flavor and be really juicy? Any tips much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Angelmangle

It is the bone which gives the meat its flavour actually - just think of it as cooking a very big chicken :D Another option is to buy a boned and rolled turkey or a turkey crown both of which will have the bones removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭salad dodger

Yunnie wrote: »
    This is my first Xmas cooking as I always traveled home for it. Im not a fan of cooking bones so I don't want to cook a big turkey. As its just my boyfriend and myself, I was planning on getting turkey fillets or just alot of turkey off the bone but I'm afraid that the turkey will turn out really dry. So I'm just wondering is there any way I can cook my turkey so it will have lots of flavor and be really juicy? Any tips much appreciated.

You could try to get a turkey crown which is just the breast meat on the bone so no messing with drumsticks or wings.
    That's what i've cooked that last few years for mrs d and the inlaws. I just seperate the skin from the meat and the put lash of soft real (it HAS to be real) butter in between the meat and skin. I then put a layer of thick streaky rashers across the top of the breast.
    Turn the oven up full whack and then down to about 180 when the bird goes in, on a rack in the roasting tin, for about 20mins per pound with 20 over. For the last hour or so baste the turkey every 15mins or so.
    I dont use tin foil or turkey bags and the bird has turned out lovely, juicey and tasty without fail....even if i do say so myself :)

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Yunnie

Thanks!

Advertisement