Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Start-up queries

Options
  • 20-12-2010 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi,

Hoping somebody can give me a little advice please. Lost 2 jobs in space of a year, so now looking seriously at trading for myself from January. Finding it almost impossible to get answers from state agencies (social welfare sent me to FAS who in turn sent me back to social welfare who again said they couldn't help!), so maybe somebody can advise;

1. As I signed on for 5 months, worked 6 months and now signing on for 3 months, my jobseekers benefit claim will run out shortly. Am I entitled to Back to Work Enterprise Allowance - information appears to state it was 2 years signing on, now reduced to 1 year but I've been told that the fact I worked during the past year might disqualify me?

2. Sole trader - if I register as a sole trader can I take on a part-time position (if I can secure one) and work part-time in my own name, providing an employer is ok with this? If I was to consider including my husband in the business, is there a better option?

3. Company names - had picked a name I was really happy with, doesn't seem to be anybody trading here by the name but there are companies in both Germany and USA using this name. Neither seem to have trademarked the name (both generic words) but as I'll be selling online to Ireland only, is it ok for me to use the same name or should I change?

4. Final question - confirmed for Start Your Own Business FAS course in January. If I find a part-time job or register as a sole trader during the period of this course, do FAS charge for the course or if I start when unemployed can I complete it at no charge?

I'd be really grateful if somebody could advise on any of the above points, as now that I've made the decision to do this, I'm keen to get it moving along.

Many thanks in advance,
    D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Boom Boom

Hi Debbie

Please see my replies below;
    debbiermcd wrote: »
    1. As I signed on for 5 months, worked 6 months and now signing on for 3 months, my jobseekers benefit claim will run out shortly. Am I entitled to Back to Work Enterprise Allowance - information appears to state it was 2 years signing on, now reduced to 1 year but I've been told that the fact I worked during the past year might disqualify me? This could be a problem having worked during the year but ask to see a jobs facilitator in your local welfare office, from my experience these guys seem to know the most information. The scheme you are talking about seems like the Back to work Enterprise scheme. You may be entitled to get onto this scheme and maintain your JB for one year there are a few forms to fill in and hoops to jump through but it's not that hard.

2. Sole trader - if I register as a sole trader can I take on a part-time position (if I can secure one) and work part-time in my own name, providing an employer is ok with this? If I was to consider including my husband in the business, is there a better option? There should be absolutely no problem with this. I am self employed, A company director and have in the past taking part time positions. There are some tax issues in being self-employed in that you lose your PAYE tax credit but if you have part time job you will be entitled to this credit again

3. Company names - had picked a name I was really happy with, doesn't seem to be anybody trading here by the name but there are companies in both Germany and USA using this name. Neither seem to have trademarked the name (both generic words) but as I'll be selling online to Ireland only, is it ok for me to use the same name or should I change? Again should be no problem with this just make sure you can secure the domain name some sites have the same name and totally different concepts take boards.ie and then take boards.co.uk completely different, the trick is directing people to your site

4. Final question - confirmed for Start Your Own Business FAS course in January. If I find a part-time job or register as a sole trader during the period of this course, do FAS charge for the course or if I start when unemployed can I complete it at no charge? you need to discuss this with fas sorry

I hope this helps
    Keep us posted on your endeavours love to here start ups getting going

Advertisement