Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run for 365 days in a row 2011

• 20-12-2010 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

I cannot find any evidence ( surprise surprise) that running this amount of days in a row will be benefical but I am really interested and fascinated as to how it will go. I first learned of the idea through Ron Hill who has over 30 years of non stop training days under his belt.

The plan will be that my normal rest days will be replaced by a minimum 2 mile recovery run approx 18 minutes.

Any year throughs up different obstacles to training and I am sure 2011 will be no different but my plan is to run through them regardless.

Heres to january 1st and losing the 6/7 lbs I plan to put on in the meantime :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Interesting one. Good luck with it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Good luck tom.
    Next thing you will want to beat me in a race:D

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭runningcoach

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Good luck tom.
    Next thing you will want to beat me in a race:D

I had my chance in Longford Frank but i see you have now mastered the art of running a marathon without fluids or food my plan Z is defeated :)

sure you will probaly do this challenge without even realising it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Sure we can have a race to 20 marathons this year:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Are your managing to run everyday?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Best of luck with this. Similarly i have tried to take out my rest days and replace them with recovery days instead and so far i have to say that i am finding it of great benefit. The main things i would say is when running every day extra attention must be paid to your body ie. how you feel and not to get hung up on paces and have noticed my paces for runs have varied from 6.30ish to 9.30 depending on the purpose of the run and how the body felt on each particular day.
    The other thing I have done is paid alot more attention to flexibility. Alot more stretching sessions and yoga to make sure i try to remain injury free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 manusapple

new to this site, but running everyday to me is asking for injury? I have a degree in Sports and Exercise Science from Loughborough and this training seems quite pointless and more of a disinvestment in your health stock

manusapple wrote: »
    new to this site, but running everyday to me is asking for injury? I have a degree in Sports and Exercise Science from Loughborough and this training seems quite pointless and more of a disinvestment in your health stock

There is actually some evidence to suggest that active recovery (such as mileage done at a very slow pace) can actually be more beneficial that resting in lactate removal:

https://www.thieme-connect.com/ejournals/abstract/sportsmed/doi/10.1055/s-2007-972816

I think a poster previously also had research to support the benefits acquired from light active running in relation to the Central Nervous system compared to complete rest (I will attempt to dig up the post and post if i can find it again)

I do see your point in running every day for the sake of it will lead to injury risk increasing however I think if this is done correctly and carefully it can have benefits. Some anecdotal evidence to support this would obviously be Geb who runs twice a day every day except Christmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 manusapple

I am sure your aware but the N for that study was only 10. To extrapolate a finding based on only ten participants is foolhardy at best. Also do you regularly read Indian Sports medicine articles :pac:
    I do believe benefits can be had but to me it would be more beneficial to gradually phase out days off instead of jumping straight into no days off, from my personal research

I am sure your aware but the N for that study was only 10. To extrapolate a finding based on only ten participants is foolhardy at best. Also do you regularly read Indian Sports medicine articles :pac:
    I do believe benefits can be had but to me it would be more beneficial to gradually phase out days off instead of jumping straight into no days off, from my personal research

I have read more studies however that was just using a quick reference off I can dig out a few others if you like (may take a bit more time:D)

Oh i would agree with you regarding gradually adapting your training. This applies to mileage build up as well as increasing frequency of running per week. This all comes down to the individuals previous training as well as their injury history. My point being made was their is evidence that it doesn't have to be injury waiting to happen and can yield benefits but again i think that this is individual to the poster.
    My post OP was giving my experience of the same change in my training and how i have felt i have yielded benefits so far. It is still early days mind you and I am only in my 5th week without a rest day but this is based talk amongst me and my coach

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

I'm sure there are guys with PhDs in exercise physiology who would recommend minimising complete days off! I think the point your were making is that relative new comers would risk injury by not taking a day off. Most good club athletes take a day off every 7-14 days. Really good club athletes and elites take much less. As with all aspects of training different strokes for different folks.

Advertisement