Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Benitez Sacked?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

both the Milan clubs are as mad as each other tbh. Leo falls out with Silvio, Massi falls out with Rafa, but then Massi makes eyes at Leo and they live happily ever after.......until as has pointed out Leo shoots his mouth off again.

Serious poisoned chalice imho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Warper wrote: »
    He simply isnt a good manager to take over a club like Inter.

is this the same inter that employed roy hodgson twice :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

You can't even make a sentence where you replace 'excessive' directly with 'expensive'. They are in no way, shape or form synonyms (unlike 'way', 'shape' and 'form'.

Ah I shouldnt have got involved. I thought the point was communicated adequately and the use of either word communicated the same message. I suppose you're correct. But I had a little look at a thesaurus and found it listed as a synonym for expensive (online too) My error could be costly as the amount paid could be expensive/excessive (now that is ugly english). But it all depends on context as Expensive is not a synonym of Excessive

the amount they paid for that mars bar was expensive
    the amount they paid for that mars bar was excessive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

#15 wrote: »
    Why did he leave Milan? Was he sacked?

7th place in the league, 13 pints off AC and being a whinging so and so probably had alot to do with it to be fair.

the man was out of his dept, crazy decision from Inter to pick him in the first place, he clearly lost the a long time ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    I put an excessive amount of water in my cup?

Does that make the water Expensive?

depends on the context you use it, per se...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

7th place in the league, 13 pints off AC and being a whinging so and so probably had alot to do with it to be fair.

the man was out of his dept, crazy decision from Inter to pick him in the first place, he clearly lost the a long time ago.

I wouldn't agree with what your saying benitez had one bad season in the last decade if you think of his times at Valencia and Liverpool he is in my opinion the best manager for European club competitions. Inter I think were desperate to again be successful in Europe this season and that is why the chose rafa to do the job. Also I think rafa took the job because of his hatred of mouriniho and to try prove him wrong in which he ultimatly failed. Also rafa is the true winner out of all this ordeal has he has pocketed himself millons for 6 months work which as h&g would call it '' epic swindle'':D. Also the fact he has moved back to Liverpool is a further sign to me that rafa was deeply shocked at getting the chop at Liverpool as he truly loved the club

101001 wrote: »
    Couldnt believe Rafa took the job in the first place. Genuinely... There is no way anyone can follow Mourinho. He was bound to fail, mourinho had such a successful season, hyped even more so by the media and the defeat of Barca. For Rafa, who is such a devisive manager to follow a manager who has this almost untouchable persona... absolute madness.

Boggles the mind... almost as much as leonardo telling morrati to stfu causing berlesconi to fire rafa, milan madness...

in fairness Rafa was just after getting fired by pool, he is hardly going to say

meh, f|ck that...

to the Inter job.. :P

Its Inter who are to blame for hiring him, the same was the FAI were muppets to hire stan

in fairness Rafa was just after getting fired by pool, he is hardly going to say

meh, f|ck that...

to the Inter job.. :P

Its Inter who are to blame for hiring him, the same was the FAI were muppets to hire stan

Are you actually comparing benitez to steve Staunton ?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

yup it was a factor and it was a decision a lot of fans agreed with at the time -Alonso hadnt preformed anywhere near his potential for 2 seasons...

Those are the same fans that think Rafa is the greatest thing since sliced bread. i.e. the mental ones.

Every sane person that knew anything about football knew it was madness to try to shift Alonso out and bring in Barry.

Those are the same fans that think Rafa is the greatest thing since sliced bread. i.e. the mental ones.

Every sane person that knew anything about football knew it was madness to try to shift Alonso out and bring in Barry.

It's easy to make that assumption now but you have to realise alonso had a poor season and a half when benitez was trying to do this meanwhile at the same time Barry was being praised starting for England and being ranked as England 2nd best midfielder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭Ardent

Finally he gets the bullet! Inter show Liverpool how it's done in terms of dealing with an egomaniac. I hope he goes to ground now and we don't have to listen to any more of his shít analogies or blaming other people for his failings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

ricero wrote: »
    It's easy to make that assumption now but you have to realise alonso had a poor season and a half when benitez was trying to do this meanwhile at the same time Barry was being praised starting for England and being ranked as England 2nd best midfielder.

Who exactly has ever ranked Barry as Englands 2nd best midfielder?

Alonso's contributions in the period tend to be downplayed IMO, He was not as good as he was in his final season but he was still a decent player.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

ricero wrote: »

I'd love to dig out posts I made at the very time but I can't be arsed but essentially it was along these lines:

Alonso - classy ball playing midfielder who has been really good from an early age and will continue to improve as he gets to his thirties. Yeah he has dipped a little bit but given his injury troubles that probably wasn't a surprise. Will definitely bounce back.

Barry - converted full back, has had a good 18 or so months playing in midfield at an age that the majority of average players peak at. Essentially the new Phil Neville. Will regress quickly.

And that's exactly what has happened. Their profiles were massively different, I always believe that every player will have a three year window where they'll be better than they had been for the rest of their career (their peak), we wanted to sign Barry at the tail end of his three year window and it made no sense whatsoever as Man City can attest to now. Alonso is arguably at his peak now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Thanks Ed, but I meant Leonardo and AC Milan:);)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

The question you answered was about Leonardo not Rafa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

meh, f|ck that...

He really should have... It was a poisoned chalice. He has been hounded by detractors in the media for years. Inter was an absolutely NO win. If he succeeded people would be saying thats mourinho's team if he fails, he fails hard. People proclaiming 'he's Not as good as Mourinho', 'not as good as Mancini and with such a great team'. There are certain managers who its impossible to follow no matter how well you do its not enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Ardent wrote: »
    Finally he gets the bullet! Inter show Liverpool how it's done in terms of dealing with an egomaniac. I hope he goes to ground now and we don't have to listen to any more of his shít analogies or blaming other people for his failings.

I have asked this question and I'd love if you would answer it for me, when exactly would you have sacked rafa, what year would you have done it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ardent has a hate bordering on the irrational.

niallo27 wrote: »
    I have asked this question and I'd love if you would answer it for me, when exactly would you have sacked rafa, what year would you have done it

I think he deserved to be sacked seasons ago when he first complained that the owners hadn't given him proper finances which was a blatent lie. For me he lost his credibility at that time.

I think he lost the owners support at the same time but they had to bide their time to get rid of him as sacking him then would have led to massive problems with the fans.

• Advertisement

The Muppet wrote: »
    I think he deserved to be sacked seasons ago when he first complained that the owners hadn't given him proper finances which was a blatent lie. For me he lost his credibility at that time.

I think he lost the owners support at the same time but they had to bide their time to get rid of him as sacking him then would have led to massive problems with the fans.

When exactly though, i'd like to know what year, are you saying gillete and hick were good for liverpool and he was wrong to speak out against them

are you saying gillete and hick were good for liverpool and he was wrong to speak out against them

G&H were obviously not good for the club. But the manager should have been looking out for the club's best interests, not causing chaos by declaring war on the owners.

Had Rafa played a smarter game, he could still be in charge under the new owners.

There is only ever going to be one winner when it comes down to a manager v owner battle.

G&H were obviously not good for the club. But the manager should have been looking out for the club's best interests, not causing chaos by declaring war on the owners.

Had Rafa played a smarter game, he could still be in charge under the new owners.

There is only ever going to be one winner when it comes down to a manager v owner battle.

Well i think he was looking out for the clubs best interest in starting war with gillette and hicks, he knew they were running liverpool into the ground, he probaly could have stayed quiet but he is not that kind of man, if he sees something wrong he says it.

Well i think he was looking out for the clubs best interest in starting war with gillette and hicks, he knew they were running liverpool into the ground, he probaly could have stayed quiet but he is not that kind of man, if he sees something wrong he says it.

He might have been better off biting his lip. He ended up getting the sack and the club is no better off right now.
    Had he kept quiet, the H&G storm may have passed without him losing his job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭Ardent

mike65 wrote: »
    Ardent has a hate bordering on the irrational.

It's not hate at all, I just feel compelled to point out that the guy is unbelievably over-rated.

Anyway, someone's got to bring some balance to all the Rafa-loving that goes on from some quarters on this forum.

He might have been better off biting his lip. He ended up getting the sack and the club is no better off right now.
    Had he kept quiet, the H&G storm may have passed without him losing his job.

The club is a lot better off though, no debt, good owners(so far), good track record, Rafa had great power with the fans and it brought a lot of pressure on hicks and gillette

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Ardent wrote: »
    It's not hate at all, I just feel compelled to point out that the guy is unbelievably over-rated.

Anyway, someone's got to bring some balance to all the Rafa-loving that goes on from some quarters on this forum.
    Everyone seems to think he's shít?

How does that make him over-rated?

The club is a lot better off though, no debt, good owners(so far), good track record, Rafa had great power with the fans and it brought a lot of pressure on hicks and gillette

Yes, but it wasn't Rafa or the fans that forced G&H out. It was the financial shítstorm. And AFAIK that was inevitable, no matter what Rafa did.

So you would actually be even better off than you are now - no debt, owners that may turn out to be very good PLUS Benitez.

The battle with the owners was futile - a masterclass in winning over the fans, but not so good for the medium-term success of the club. IMO. I'm open to correction on the reasons for G&H's exit.

Yes, but it wasn't Rafa or the fans that forced G&H out. It was the financial shítstorm. And AFAIK that was inevitable, no matter what Rafa did.

So you would actually be even better off than you are now - no debt, owners that may turn out to be very good PLUS Benitez.

The battle with the owners was futile - a masterclass in winning over the fans, but not so good for the medium-term success of the club. IMO. I'm open to correction on the reasons for G&H's exit.

I dont think you will find many managers that would have not spoken out in the same situation, look at mourinhio at chelsea, sometimes these thing are inevitable

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

I really thought it was a wind up when I heard some Liverpool fans were campaigning for Rafa to come back
    I have one question
    ARE YOU STARK RAVING MAD ?

I really thought it was a wind up when I heard some Liverpool fans were campaigning for Rafa to come back
    I have one question
    There's been practically 400 posts on the matter already tbh.

I have one question

5 great years with him, why not

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

5 great years with him, why not

5 great years, really?

I dont think you will find many managers that would have not spoken out in the same situation, look at mourinhio at chelsea, sometimes these thing are inevitable

There are lots of managers/coaches who have to work under severe constraints and manage to do it - without resorting to a PR battle with the owners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Fuhrer wrote: »
    5 great years, really?

Suppose depends on what great means and that differs per club, for Chelsea or United, not winning the title or the CL isn't a great season. For Liverpool, I'd say he had 2 damn good ones, 2 not bad and 1 bad one.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

Fuhrer wrote: »
    5 great years, really?

I enjoyed them anyway, all them magical European nights, I wouldn't swap them for anything, the challenge in 2008

K-9 wrote: »
    Suppose depends on what great means and that differs per club, for Chelsea or United, not winning the title or the CL isn't a great season. For Liverpool, I'd say he had 2 damn good ones, 2 not bad and 1 bad one.

That's exactly my point Liverpool were not winning league or even challenging before rafa took over

ziggy wrote: »

Not so long ago that was 21 years ago, things have moved on i have accepted it so should you.

Who do we blame for that, souness, evans, houllier rafa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Benimar

[/QUOTE=niallo27;69712517]5 great years with him, why not[/QUOTE]

Year 1 - League & European Cup
    Year 2 - European Cup
    Year 3 - League
    Year 4 - League
    Year 5 - European Cup and League Cup

Now, THATS 5 great years (ref: Mr Bob Paisley 1976/77 to 80/81)

Rafa gave us 5 better years than we have had in the previous 15, but 5 great years in the history of the club they weren't.

• Advertisement

Benimar wrote: »
    5 great years with him, why not[/QUOTE]

Year 2 - European Cup
    Year 3 - League
    Year 4 - League

Rafa gave us 5 better years than we have had in the previous 15, but 5 great years in the history of the club they weren't.[/QUOTE]

I didn't say 5 great years in the history of our club, although you could argue that winning the European cup for keeps was a great year, Nottingham could have a great year and get promoted but it still won't stand up to forest winning the European cup, things have moved on.

We have no divine right to win league titles, them days are gone

When exactly though, i'd like to know what year, are you saying gillete and hick were good for liverpool and he was wrong to speak out against them

I am saying it's never clever to tell lies about you boss, and even less so to do so in public.

Rafa's ego led him to believe their hands were tied and the owneres could do little about it at the time and he was right. However he didn't see the bigger picture that they would get rid of him at the first opportunity which they did.

Ahh you'd have to give Rafa some credit for wasting millions of the clubs money, it must have played some part in the "financial ****storm" that followed.

I enjoyed them anyway, all them magical European nights, I wouldn't swap them for anything, the challenge in 2008

Yes you would , you'd swap them for a league title.:p

The Muppet wrote: »
    Yes you would , you'd swap them for a league title.:p

I love this banter with rafa, he is well and truly an institution on boards

i think he went down the hill once he started his designer goatee...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Best Christmas present ever!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

abusus non tollit usum

Exactly

The fee paid for torres was expensive - yes it was.

The fee paid for torres was excessive - no it wasn't.

Context, as you put it, is key.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Benimar wrote: »

Year 2 - European Cup
    Year 3 - League
    Year 4 - League

Rafa gave us 5 better years than we have had in the previous 15, but 5 great years in the history of the club they weren't.

You're a hard man to please. Paisley was the most successful manager in such a short period, better than Ferguson, plus he inherited a not too shabby team, a damn good one, unlike Rafa.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Exactly

The fee paid for torres was expensive - yes it was.

The fee paid for torres was excessive - no it wasn't.

Context, as you put it, is key.

well condiering we were talking about torres being a by product from the rafa benitez foundation, i figured that it would be quite clear the context i meant was that excessive were to mean rather expensive..

and not a result of growing up under the father figure of rafa :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement