Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Benitez Sacked?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

CorkMan wrote: »
    I reckon Rafa would be a good gaffer for Ipswich if Keano gets the push.

Keane getting the sack, surley not, he ll walk just like he waked out on his country, shouldn't mention that toe rag on the same thread as rafa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,779 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

niallo27 wrote: »
    Keane getting the sack, surley not, he ll walk just like he waked out on his country, shouldn't mention that toe rag on the same thread as rafa

Do people still not get embarrassed about saying things like this?

keane2097 wrote: »
    Do people still not get embarrassed about saying things like this?

Well you are hardly impartial to the situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

But neither are you? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

CorkMan wrote: »
    I reckon Rafa would be a good gaffer for Ipswich if Keano gets the push.

A sarcastic Cork bai, well I never.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,779 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Because we share a surname :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

Why do so many people here try to revise and belittle rafa's achievements at Liverpool when in fact he was our best manager since Dalglish and the success he had considering the ball of muck that he inherited when he took over?

Why do people here castigate the man for last season when we've seen what bull**** circumstances he as fighting at the time.

Why do so many United fans here feel threatened by Rafa? Is it because United fans and their manager became genuinely fearful of Liverpool under Benitez and the only way of manifesting their hate was by disrespecting him and becoming increasingly bitter the more he succeeded.

Listening to some people you'd swear Ged had won the 2005 Champions league not Rafa and that he some sort of transfer ineptitude. He hadn't and this has been illustrated already by other posters. Fergie bought some stinkers, Djemba, Kleberson, Bellion etc as did Wenger but Benitez often sold his poor buys on for a profit e.g Kromkamp and Mark González.

It's time this bitterness permeating this forum over Benitez was stopped. It's wrong and his achievements should be recognised. Sure he did wrong but he did a hell of a lot right and this should be respected.

Much and all as I detest Alex Ferguson for his manner and how he achieved his success I will always respect what he has done and the extent of success he has achieved.

Rant over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

monkey9 wrote: »
    No i really wouldn't. I rarely, if ever venture into the Everton thread. I honestly just could not be arsed!

In fact, i say right now that David Moyes has done an amazing job with that club. And even though i think that, i still don't go in and say he's been awful for the club just for a reaction

I use Everton as an example cos i hate them, but i respect them. I just don't care that much about them that i would have more posts in their thread (as well as Utd's one, if you's become sh!te), than i would in Liverpool's.

Whos' posting just to get a reaction?

You obviously missed the point I was making in my last post, I watched and envied liverpool when they were truely a great club so anything short of that is not up to standard for me. Thats said I can understand why fans who didn't see them in their hayday might think Rafa was a successful manager.

Anyone can post in any thread here, it's what makes it what it is, If you don't like that there are plenty of dedicated forums about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Why do so many people here try to revise and belittle rafa's achievements at Liverpool when in fact he was our best manager since Dalglish and the success he had considering the ball of muck that he inherited when he took over?

Why do people here castigate the man for last season when we've seen what bull**** circumstances he as fighting at the time.

Why do so many United fans here feel threatened by Rafa? Is it because United fans and their manager became genuinely fearful of Liverpool under Benitez and the only way of manifesting their hate was by disrespecting him and becoming increasingly bitter the more he succeeded.

Listening to some people you'd swear Ged had won the 2005 Champions league not Rafa and that he some sort of transfer ineptitude. He hadn't and this has been illustrated already by other posters. Fergie bought some stinkers, Djemba, Kleberson, Bellion etc as did Wenger but Benitez often sold his poor buys on for a profit e.g Kromkamp and Mark González.

It's time this bitterness permeating this forum over Benitez was stopped. It's wrong and his achievements should be recognised. Sure he did wrong but he did a hell of a lot right and this should be respected.

Much and all as I detest Alex Ferguson for his manner and how he achieved his success I will always respect what he has done and the extent of success he has achieved.

Rant over.

If they stopped that, they would just have to stick to the Man U thread.

For a club who have not won the league since 1990, we sure as hell p!ss off the likes of the Muppet, Boggles and NTLbell. Their obsession knows no bounds.

For a club who 'lives in the past', these Utd fans just keep us breathing!

If they stopped that, they would just have to stick to the Man U thread.

For a club who have not won the league since 1990, we sure as hell p!ss off the likes of the Muppet, Boggles and NTLbell. Their obsession knows no bounds.

For a club who 'lives in the past', these Utd fans just keep us breathing!

ha ha you think Liverpool piss me off, They did in the 70's and 80's but not since then.

• Advertisement

The Muppet wrote: »
    ha ha you think Liverpool piss me off, They did in the 70's and 80's but not since then.

Then why are you here talking about them while utd are playing on the tv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭doc_17

That's all fine by me, unfortuanately some users refuse to admit to his flaws.

That is true yet it brings us around again to the same point. Some think he's wonderful and some think he's rubbish. People have extreme views. You keep emphasising the negatives......others keep emphasising the postives

But after reading your posts muppet you'd think he never did anything right - which is the same mentality really as those who never admit his flaws.

But seriously what do you think will happen? All liverpool fans will admit that you are right?

I watched and envied liverpool when they were truely a great club so anything short of that is not up to standard for me. Thats said I can understand why fans who didn't see them in their hayday might think Rafa was a successful manager.

So I'm assuming that you would have been brought up football wise when Manchester United were in the football doldrums and a nobody club like they were for the 22 years from 1968 to 1990.

So would you then accept a United decline to mid table considering this would have been the standard that you were used to at a certain time. I'm going to take the liberty of answering this question and saying no because the standard you see as acceptable for Manchester United has changed dramatically since 1980's.

Thus my point is people's standards change over time. When Benitez took over Liverpool fans hadn't seen proper success in so long that it was huge. Same way as Fergie's initial success at United was huge because it had taken 22 long years to achieve it.

Wow, so you remember Liverpool in the 70's?? So what are you now. 55?

And you're trolling threads??? aHahhahahahaha!! I think it's now time to disregard Muppet's nonsense..

Boggles, NTLbell. find a new hero!!!!!!! Ahahahahahahaha!

The Muppet seems to be the only hardcore left. Boggles has left the building and Ntlbell seems to have drifted off the scene. Ardent pokes comes out from underneath the bridge every so often but he is so bitter no one tries to engage. At least Muppet makes an effort and debate is possible with him no matter how warped and demented his logic and argument is.

Then why are you here talking about them while utd are playing on the tv

Multi tasking:p
    So I'm assuming that you would have been brought up football wise when Manchester United were in the football doldrums and a nobody club like they were for the 22 years from 1968 to 1990.

So would you then accept a United decline to mid table considering this would have been the standard that you were used to at a certain time. I'm going to take the liberty of answering this question and saying no because the standard you see as acceptable for Manchester United has changed dramatically since 1980's.

Thus my point is people's standards change over time. When Benitez took over Liverpool fans hadn't seen proper success in so long that it was huge. Same way as Fergie's initial success at United was huge because it had taken 22 long years to achieve it.

Ged won more trophies than Rafa did he not? Have you forgotten your glorious treble year?

Ged won more trophies than Rafa did he not? Have you forgotten your glorious treble year?

We rememeber that well, yeah?

We rememeber that well, yeah?

So how do you equate that with this?
    When Benitez took over Liverpool fans hadn't seen proper success in so long that it was huge.

This is exactly the type of pure nonsense that fuel's the Rafa debate..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Rafa was an excellent manager for us, but it was about more than football. He had a connection with a fans that is rare in the modern game. I felt like i was a part of the Liverpool of old, it was almost religious. Never had that feeling with Souness, Evans or Ged, so when it ended it fu*kin hurt. I'd have him back in a heartbeat.

Mister men wrote: »
    Rafa was an excellent manager for us, but it was about more than football. He had a connection with a fans that is rare in the modern game. I felt like i was a part of the Liverpool of old, it was almost religious. Never had that feeling with Souness, Evans or Ged, so when it ended it fu*kin hurt. I'd have him back in a heartbeat.

More than about football eh. We're getting there now. It's more about Rafa's relationship with the fans than it is about Liverpool FC. That's not as it should be IMO, no one is bigger than the club.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Mister men wrote: »
    Wow, a blatantly honest post.

Refreshing to see tbh.

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Wow, a blatantly honest post.

Refreshing to see tbh.

True and it's only taken 770 posts , things are looking up.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

rafa for the villa job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

Actually Muppet, You're a bit like Rafa, ironically, Time to take a break.

Your posts are becoming tiring and lazy.

So how do you equate that with this?

This is exactly the type of pure nonsense that fuel's the Rafa debate..
    Actually Muppet, You're a bit like Rafa, ironically, Time to take a break.

Your posts are becoming tiring and lazy.

LOLz Yeah Right,

ziggy wrote: »

Yes we meet every Tuesday and Sacrifice a virgin to our lord rafa

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

Yes we meet every Tuesday and Sacrifice a virgin to our lord rafa

Now we know what happened to Mr. Alan.

sacrificed ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

ziggy wrote: »

He never said FEMALE virgin;)

LOLz Yeah Right,

What?? What nonsense is this.

What are you triping on about now you so called Man Utd supporter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,416 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

What?? What nonsense is this.

What are you triping on about now you so called Man Utd supporter!

It seems he is unable to identify how winning the Champions League is different from winning the UEFA / FA Cup / League Cup. I wouldn't pay much mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

You obviously missed the point I was making in my last post, I watched and envied liverpool when they were truely a great club so anything short of that is not up to standard for me. Thats said I can understand why fans who didn't see them in their hayday might think Rafa was a successful manager.

You have to take the context into account. When Rafa took over at Liverpool we hadn't won a league for 15 years. It's a bit absurd to consider him a failure because he didn't win a league. Uruguay won two World Cups, does that mean their performance in South Africa was a failure? I didn't see Liverpool in their heyday but I'm well aware of how successful they were. Instead, what I've seen throughout my lifetime is a mediocre sometimes good team who had only once come anywhere close to winning a league title and never came in any way close to winning a european cup before Rafa came in. Between 05 and 09, Liverpool were the best I've ever seen them, which is why, IMO, people who consider Rafas spell at Liverpool a failure are talking absolute nonsense. (FWIW, I'm happy to admit he had flaws and he isn't the messiah but hes the best Liverpool manager I've ever seen, and his team of the 08/09 season played the best football I've seen a Liverpool team play.)

Yes but Rafa won a CL, brought us to another CL final and at one point, though I might be mistaken, had us ranked as the best team in Europe, though I'll admit those rankings systems are fairly flawed more often than not.

Ged did a good job at Liverpool but Rafa did a better job. He brought us to far greater heights and made us an intimidating, feared team amongst Europes elite for the first time since the Premiership era began.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,416 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It's important to remember that GED's best European results (Barcelona, Roma) involved us conceding the vast majority of territory and impotence hoping to hold out and nick a two legged tie with a goal at home. If anyone remembers the Nou Camp leg of the 2001 UEFA cup semi - final it was honestly one of the dullest games of football (for a neutral :)) that you'll ever see. We set out to stifle them and did so - with only one decent chance carved out the whole game by either side (stopped by a Carragher block).

Not only were the European achievements more substantial under Benitez, the manner of the performances were much more aggressive and in your face (first half versus Juve 2005 / Madrid 2009).

Ultimately, GED put us back on the European map, made us respectable again (no more Brondbys); but Benitez turned us into a force to be feared. Under Houllier I had hope in the big European games; under Benitez expectation. A very important distinction.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    It seems he is unable to identify how winning the Champions League is different from winning the UEFA / FA Cup / League Cup. I wouldn't pay much mind.

Tell me the difference then?
    MR NINE wrote: »
    You have to take the context into account. When Rafa took over at Liverpool we hadn't won a league for 15 years. It's a bit absurd to consider him a failure because he didn't win a league. Uruguay won two World Cups, does that mean their performance in South Africa was a failure? I didn't see Liverpool in their heyday but I'm well aware of how successful they were. Instead, what I've seen throughout my lifetime is a mediocre sometimes good team who had only once come anywhere close to winning a league title and never came in any way close to winning a european cup before Rafa came in. Between 05 and 09, Liverpool were the best I've ever seen them, which is why, IMO, people who consider Rafas spell at Liverpool a failure are talking absolute nonsense. (FWIW, I'm happy to admit he had flaws and he isn't the messiah but hes the best Liverpool manager I've ever seen, and his team of the 08/09 season played the best football I've seen a Liverpool team play.)

Yes but Rafa won a CL, brought us to another CL final and at one point, though I might be mistaken, had us ranked as the best team in Europe, though I'll admit those rankings systems are fairly flawed more often than not.

Ged did a good job at Liverpool but Rafa did a better job. He brought us to far greater heights and made us an intimidating, feared team amongst Europes elite for the first time since the Premiership era began.

Fair points, and I agree your 2007/09 team might well have been the best Liverpool team since the 80's. However Rafa failed to keep that team together and was responsible for the loss of some important players. The current squad is a shadow of that squad which is evident from last seasons 7th place and the poor showing so far this season.

• Advertisement

Now we know what happened to Mr. Alan.

sacrificed ....

I lolled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

so Leonardo wins first 4 games and scoring for fun, wonder where the problem lay ?;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

so Leonardo wins first 4 games and scoring for fun, wonder where the problem lay ?;)
    Ya doesn't look good for Benitez reputation but you have to see how it goes for the next few could just be new manager affect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Leonardo, a manager of not world class ability shall I say, my opinion of course, has made a great start to life as Inter coach and it does tarnish Benitez somewhat, or at least put him in a slightly dimmer light, but you would need to wait until he is in the job 6 months to properly compare him and Rafa :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If he wins the 2 games in hand, they'll be second in the table and 3 points behind Milan.

• Advertisement

Italian football confuses me in general, they tend to be so passionate yet think nothing of somebody playing for Milan Inter Juve or whoever, i know its a little off topic, just had me thinking about Leonardo, the former Milan player, former Milan manager, now managing Inter and closing the gap on Milan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Not that anybody can tell anything even remotely resembling a manager's abilities at a club after 4 games, but how did Benitez do in his first four games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Jeez some of you guys have a real problem. Benitez is an excellent coach imo. I just think he rushed into that job too quickly. He was under huge stress at Liverpool with all that was going on there at the time and really wasn't going to get time to settle in at Inter.

I'm sure he will be back in a top job in 6 months time or so. As long as transfers are kept out of his hands I'd fancy him to do a good job too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭henke

kryogen wrote: »
    Italian football confuses me in general, they tend to be so passionate yet think nothing of somebody playing for Milan Inter Juve or whoever, i know its a little off topic, just had me thinking about Leonardo, the former Milan player, former Milan manager, now managing Inter and closing the gap on Milan
    I agree,didn't Seedorf also play for Inter and I think Edgar Davids played for both Milan clubs.

On Benitez I don't rate him at all as a coach. I think he had a lot of luck with Liverpool which eventually ran out and a lot of his signings were poor I think.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Jeez some of you guys have a real problem. Benitez is an excellent coach imo. I just think he rushed into that job too quickly. He was under huge stress at Liverpool with all that was going on there at the time and really wasn't going to get time to settle in at Inter.

I'm sure he will be back in a top job in 6 months time or so. As long as transfers are kept out of his hands I'd fancy him to do a good job too.

But sure he wont want a job where transfers are kept out of his control, his ego dictates full control, did you not hear his press conferences on the subject, I agree actually that as a coach he is very good, as a manager in total control of a football team he lacks a lot of qualities

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

i'm sure the fact leonardo got a lot of players back from injury makes a big difference. inter were doing very well until they got hit by an injury crisis and then results fell through the floor...

was a thankless job for rafa anyway, he was mad to take it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

kryogen wrote: »

Chance to get revenge on Berlusconi who sacked him despite finishing in the top 3 with a **** squad which he wouldn't reinforce.

Also, Milan and Inter is just a Derby, it's not a major rivalry.
    Milan - Genoa is a much bigger deal and even at that Milan have Amelia on loan and Boateng on co-ownership...

There are very few rivalries in Italy that people actually give a toss about.

Catania - Palermo, Inter - Juve, Roma -Lazio, Lecce - Bari, Genoa - Sampdoria.

Milan - Inter is basically Local big club vs local small club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

The only thing that tells me is that Rafa had burnt out after 5/6 years at Anfield. The man needed an indefinite break away from the game, not to take on more pressure that the Inter job presented. As others have said, he was mad to take it.

Lazio Roma games tend to be on the spicy side though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

i'm sure the fact leonardo got a lot of players back from injury makes a big difference. inter were doing very well until they got hit by an injury crisis and then results fell through the floor...

was a thankless job for rafa anyway, he was mad to take it.

Rafa lost the dressing room within weeks.

The second the two biggest influences in the team were coming out and questioning him in public, he was screwed. Not a single player in the team has said they wanted him to stay. In fact, when they won the club world cup several of them said "this is the squads trophy not the managers".

He seems to be one of the worst man managers on the planet.

Also, Inter still have a lot of injuries, Leo is just managing his squad better, playing players in position, playing a totally different style of football, playing to the strengths of the team instead of trying to get players to fit a style they aren't suited to.
    Pressing and defending as a team instead of sitting back and letting the other team have the ball. Rafa is just a **** coach.

• Advertisement
Advertisement