Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Benitez Sacked?

1111213141517»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

i'm sure the fact leonardo got a lot of players back from injury makes a big difference. inter were doing very well until they got hit by an injury crisis and then results fell through the floor...

was a thankless job for rafa anyway, he was mad to take it.

There were stories of discontent coming from the camp virtually from the start though, and I agree he was mad to take the job anyway, hiding to nothing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

kryogen wrote: »
    Lazio Roma games tend to be on the spicy side though

Thought I'd put it in there.
    :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Not that anybody can tell anything even remotely resembling a manager's abilities at a club after 4 games, but how did Benitez do in his first four games?

first 4 serie a games under rafa inter won 3 and drew 1, scoring 8 goals and conceding 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Leonardo talked to Mourinho about the squad and what was right for them. Leonardo is letting the team get on with it and reportedly having minimal input. In fairness the players had no faith in Benitez as he was a massive drop-down from having Mourinho as coach. Benitez was a stupid choice in the first place and Moratti only has himself to blame for that.

Warper wrote: »
    Leonardo talked to Mourinho about the squad and what was right for them. Leonardo is letting the team get on with it and reportedly having minimal input. In fairness the players had no faith in Benitez as he was a massive drop-down from having Mourinho as coach. Benitez was a stupid choice in the first place and Moratti only has himself to blame for that.

Moratti has said that Benitez was his 3rd choice in june...
    He said Leo was his first choice but turned it down as he wanted to take a break and be with his family, didn't mention who the second choice was, I'd bet Spalletti.

And yea, Leo said as much himself, first thing he did when he accepted the job was phone Jose and ask him for advice and then got Zanetti, Matarazzi, Stankovic in a room and had a chat with them.

Seems to have done the trick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Seaneh wrote: »
    Milan - Inter is basically Local big club vs local small club.

With who being the smaller club?? Milan? I'd hardly describe either as small tbf.

1 scudetto between the two.

AC Milan has more fans than Inter too. I'd hardly describe them as small.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Le King wrote: »
    With who being the smaller club?? Milan? I'd hardly describe either as small tbf.

1 scudetto between the two.

AC Milan has more fans than Inter too. I'd hardly describe them as small.

Em, he was saying Inter were the small club maybe? I really dont know though, I would also call neither a small club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Rafa lost the dressing room within weeks.

The second the two biggest influences in the team were coming out and questioning him in public, he was screwed. Not a single player in the team has said they wanted him to stay. In fact, when they won the club world cup several of them said "this is the squads trophy not the managers".

He seems to be one of the worst man managers on the planet.

Also, Inter still have a lot of injuries, Leo is just managing his squad better, playing players in position, playing a totally different style of football, playing to the strengths of the team instead of trying to get players to fit a style they aren't suited to.
    Pressing and defending as a team instead of sitting back and letting the other team have the ball. Rafa is just a **** coach.

lol

(vastly) over rated alright...

he was mad to take it, but if you got fired from a job and was offered a new job paying $$$$$$, what would you do..

would you go, meh... sod that. :rolleyes:

kryogen wrote: »
    Em, he was saying Inter were the small club maybe? I really dont know though, I would also call neither a small club

Not having a go. Just asking because I'm not sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,779 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I assume Inter are the small team with them having broken away from AC in the 1900s.

keane2097 wrote: »
    I assume Inter are the small team with them having broken away from AC in the 1900s.

Regardless, small is hardly an adequate word to describe either club.

It was a joke.
    Inter are a smaller club (vastly smaller in number of fans), but they are still a very big club.

Both clubs have always had a good working relationship and players have always moved between the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,779 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Le King wrote: »
    Regardless, small is hardly an adequate word to describe either club.

Small is just a state of mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭henke

Although Inter are just not small enough for a manager of Rafa's capabilities

It was a joke.
    Inter are a smaller club (vastly smaller in number of fans), but they are still a very big club.

Both clubs have always had a good working relationship and players have always moved between the two.

Ah right, fair enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Rafa lost the dressing room within weeks.

The second the two biggest influences in the team were coming out and questioning him in public, he was screwed. Not a single player in the team has said they wanted him to stay. In fact, when they won the club world cup several of them said "this is the squads trophy not the managers".

He seems to be one of the worst man managers on the planet.

Also, Inter still have a lot of injuries, Leo is just managing his squad better, playing players in position, playing a totally different style of football, playing to the strengths of the team instead of trying to get players to fit a style they aren't suited to.
    Pressing and defending as a team instead of sitting back and letting the other team have the ball. Rafa is just a **** coach.

yup **** coach :rolleyes:

also
    http://www.totalfootballmadness.com/2010/09/05/samuel-etoo-defends-inter-manager-rafael-benitez/
    http://kenya.world-countries.net/archives/29854

so he hadnt lost the dressing room within weeks...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

keane2097 wrote: »
    Small is just a state of mind.

x in the city being the expert on that of course ^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭Ardent

Spot the Benitez apologists desperately clutching at straws, lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

He must be worth a damn lot of money. He got sacked at both clubs, they would have had to pay the rest of his contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Ardent wrote: »
    Spot the Benitez apologists desperately clutching at straws, lol.

spot the Benitez haters desperately trying to get every dig they can in.

lolz.

seriously, i've never known a man create so much fúcking controversy in my life, especially for someone, who for all intents and purposes, is quite the boring geezer.

an excellent coach, a maybe questionable record in terms of management (still above average mind you), and a man who needs a break of football. that's about the beginning and the end of it for me.

i'm predicting this thread will continue to be re-visited by many, mainly those wanting to take a cheap pop at him, up until his next job though.

truly fúcking mind-boggling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭henke

SlickRic wrote: »
    an excellent coach, a maybe questionable record in terms of management (still above average mind you), and a man who needs a break of football. that's about the beginning and the end of it for me.
    I disagree, I think he is an awful coach. I think it could be a while before anyone hires him again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I disagree, I think he is an awful coach. I think it could be a while before anyone hires him again.

i'm not getting into another Benitez debate.

we'll agree to disagree.

bar the 'hiring' bit.

i think it'll be at least a year before he gets another job alright.

but there won't be a shortage of suitors, especially in Spain should a job arise, where he's still respected as far as i know.

Advertisement