Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Benitez Sacked?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

RasTa wrote: »
    Check the league table

Check the date, they're not even half way through the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Well if it is true it didnt last long for Rafa did it ?
    He was never going to be able to follow Mourinho , given what Mourinho had achieved
    Six years at Liverpool and never won the league, thats the only record that really matters. I just dont know why they appointed him as manager of Inter in the first place :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Turned amazing team, into an average side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Lukker- wrote: »

He also turned an average liverpool side into european champions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Lukker- wrote: »

Yep, injury does that alright.

He inherited a great team but a weak squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

I love how literally nothing will ever convince some Liverpool fans that Raffykins simply isn't a good manager. Please acknowledge that in the space of three months, he has taken the treble-winners, and five consecutive years' Serie A titleholders, down to midtable mediocrity. He went there with the fans of every other Premier League club pointing out that this is exactly what would happen. This isn't a coincidence or bad luck.

Still Rafa, never mind, I hear they're opening a tapas bar in Slough, so maybe pop in there with a CV, you might get something.

Columbia wrote: »
    I love how literally nothing will ever convince some Liverpool fans that Raffykins simply isn't a good manager. Please acknowledge that in the space of three months, he has taken the treble-winners, and five consecutive years' Serie A titleholders, down to midtable mediocrity. He went there with the fans of every other Premier League club pointing out that this is exactly what would happen. This isn't a coincidence or bad luck.

Still Rafa, never mind, I hear they're opening a tapas bar in Slough, so maybe pop in there with a CV, you might get something.

Well us liverpool fans, watched liverpool play for 6 years under rafa, we watched liverpool become the top seeded team in european football, we saw two european cup finals, we saw the highest points total in 20 years, we saw CL qualification with ease every year, we finished above arsenal half the years Rafa was there, how does a manage achieve all this if he is only a bluffer and a poor manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

please, fellow Liverpool fans who support Benitez through anything...

give me a rational explanation as to why you think he should come back.

he has millions of our money, and returning managers don't cut it 99% of the time anyway.

he loves the club, yes, had some success, and made us a force in Europe again, but honestly do you not think we should be looking a bit more into the future than Rafa?

Roy is the only reason fans should now want Rafa back.

just because an appointment was bad, doesn't mean we re-appoint the less-bad previous one.

SlickRic wrote: »

Hang on, who's saying that he should?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

niallo27 wrote: »
    Thats more because he is a traitor who walked out on his country, but thats for another thread

Blind patriotism is pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Well us liverpool fans, watched liverpool play for 6 years under rafa, we watched liverpool become the top seeded team in european football, we saw two european cup finals, we saw the highest points total in 20 years, we saw CL qualification with ease every year, we finished above arsenal half the years Rafa was there, how does a manage achieve all this if he is only a bluffer and a poor manager.

Again what has the above crap got to do with Inter? Inter fans want titles.

SlickRic wrote: »

he has millions of our money, and returning managers don't cut it 99% of the time anyway.

he loves the club, yes, had some success, and made us a force in Europe again, but honestly do you not think we should be looking a bit more into the future than Rafa?

Roy is the only reason fans should now want Rafa back.

just because an appointment was bad, doesn't mean we re-appoint the less-bad previous one.

My post about him coming back was more of a piss take, i cant see him coming back, i think most of us are just defending him from the usual abuse he gets.

Again what has the above crap got to do with Inter? Inter fans want titles.

Well if you read the post i was responding to, you would probably see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

um...
    He's coming home, he's coming home.
    Rafa's coming home.
    Mister men wrote: »
    The coast is clear boss. Come on home.

plus the all-too-familiar backs to the wall defence of his record lead me to believe fans wanted him back.

#15 wrote: »
    Blind patriotism is pathetic.

If you took your red goggles off you would probably agree with me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Well if you read the post i was responding to, you would probably see

Does he deserved to get sacked from Inter?

He also turned an average liverpool side into european champions

He had a great run with that team, and I don't think anyone would argue otherwise. The CL win was an amazing achievement.
    But come on, look at the league position that season (5th).
    Rafa never built a Liverpool team that was able to seriously challenge on all fronts. His success was caused by sacrificing other competitions.
    He was not able to build a team capable of seriously challenging on all fronts and that's a knock against him. It doesn't mean he's ****, just not as great as some people are claiming.

No i dont think so, their 7th, win their games in hand and their 7pts off the top, they got through their CL group handy enough, i dont follow Italian football but from what i here they have being hit pretty hard with injuries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

I hope he gets the full season before he is judged. He's a very good manager with a good record.
    If Inter win their 2 games in hand they'll go fifth, 7 points off the top. If they then find a good run of form they'd be back in the race.

Of course not. He's mere months into the job, hasn't had a penny to spend, inherited a great first team but a weak squad without depth that has been hit extremely hard with injuries.

• Advertisement

He had a great run with that team, and I don't think anyone would argue otherwise. The CL win was an amazing achievement.
    But come on, look at the league position that season (5th).
    Rafa never built a Liverpool team that was able to seriously challenge on all fronts. His success was caused by sacrificing other competitions.
    He was not able to build a team capable of seriously challenging on all fronts and that's a knock against him. It doesn't mean he's ****, just not as great as some people are claiming.

Fair points, but what teams can challenge on all fronts, only utd maybe, its the people saying he is a bluffer and a poor manager im replying to really.

If you took your red goggles off you would probably agree with me

No I wouldn't. There a million reasons to criticise Keane and some of them I would agree with you, red goggles or not.

But blind patriotism is the preserve of the stupid and the vicious.

I would never criticise a player for not playing for their country (incl. the likes of Stephen Ireland) because the whole idea of compelling people to have pride in something they have no control over (ie their birthplace) is a bit daft.

I'm not disagreeing with your dislike of Keane, I'm disagreeing with your cry of traitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

He really should have taken a break from football after he left Liverpool. He was under huge strain in the last few years at the club, compare a photo of him when he joined them and when he left them and you can see the toll it had on him. The last thing he needed was to go taking a job at Inter where he was in a no win situation - if he did well people would just say it was Jose's team, if he didn't deliver immediate success he was out the door. Anyone trying to follow in Jose's footsteps is in trouble right from the start.

He should get away from the game for at least the rest of the season, before taking over at Tottenham when Harry takes the English job (just to hear BERBA's reaction this would be epic :pac:).

No I wouldn't. There a million reasons to criticise Keane and some of them I would agree with you, red goggles or not.

I would never criticise a player for not playing for their country (incl. the likes of Stephen Ireland) because the whole idea of compelling people to have pride in something they have no control over (ie their birthplace) is a bit daft.

I'm not disagreeing with your dislike of Keane, I'm disagreeing with your cry of traitor.

I dont think we should get into it here, lets just agree to disagree

flahavaj wrote: »
    He really should have taken a break from football after he left Liverpool. He was under huge strain in the last few years at the club, compare a photo of him when he joined them and when he left them and you can see the toll it had on him. The last thing he needed was to go taking a job at Inter where he was in a no win situation - if he did well people would just say it was Jose's team, if he didn't deliver immediate success he was out the door. Anyone trying to follow in Jose's footsteps is in trouble right from the start.

He should get away from the game for at least the rest of the season, before taking over at Tottenham when Harry takes the English job (just to hear BERBA's reaction this would be epic :pac:).

Very good point that, i think he could have done with a break, doesnt seem like a man that can be idle though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

I would never criticise a player for not playing for their country (incl. the likes of Stephen Ireland) because the whole idea of compelling people to have pride in something they have no control over (ie their birthplace) is a bit daft.I'm not disagreeing with your dislike of Keane, I'm disagreeing with your cry of traitor.

Eh? Thats like saying it is a bit daft to have no pride in your family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

I avoid the EPL threads like the plague, but from reading the above, there are Liverpool fans who think Benitez was a success? :eek:

I avoid the EPL threads like the plague, but from reading the above, there are Liverpool fans who think Benitez was a success? :eek:

He was. He rebuilt the entire squad, won the FA Cup, the Champions League, got them to another Champions League final and brought Liverpool to their best ever Premier League finish.

He had a poor final season and deservedly went on the back of that.

He was. He rebuilt the entire squad, won the FA Cup, the Champions League, got them to another Champions League final and brought Liverpool to their best ever Premier League finish.

He had a poor final season and deservedly went on the back of that.

Ok, can't argue with the CL, even though I think it was the players throwing out his game plan that won it, but for the money he spent he was nowhere near competitive in the EPL.

Football is about opinions, but I'm a bit stunned that he is held in high regard with some of the muck he brought in on big bucks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭Ardent

Never really stood much of a chance. Inheritated an aging squad decimated by injuries and wasn't given a penny to spend to improve it.

Hahahaa that's hilarious.

This thread is going to be fun: spot the Liverpool-supporter-Benitez-apologist and hit him on the head with a hammer!

• Advertisement

Warper wrote: »
    Eh? Thats like saying it is a bit daft to have no pride in your family.

Well, it depends on why you have pride in your family. If you're proud that they exist and think that they are inherently better than anyone else - that's completely fúckin stupid. If you're proud of their behvaiour, their achievements, their personalities, etc, then it's a bit different - they have control over those things. There's a distinction there that you seem to have missed. Anyway, as niallo wisely said, it's better not to get into it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭Ardent

Mister men wrote: »
    He's just won the World club championship, what are you talking about.

As Mourinho said last night, he practically won that trophy for Benitez. Who did they beat in the final again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Ardent wrote: »

This thread is going to be fun: spot the Liverpool-supporter-Benitez-apologist and hit him on the head with a hammer!

How is that hilarious, it's very true. I don't like Benitez, don't like Liverpool but I follow Serie A and it's pretty obvious they've had a massive injury crisis and that he hasn't been allowed spend any money whatsoever. He should've done better but they have two games in hand and if they won both they'd be six points behind the leaders Milan

Edit: 7 points

Ardent wrote: »

So you clearly know nothing about Italian football. That's nice. Carry on so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,153 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

How is that hilarious, it's very true. I don't like Benitez, don't like Liverpool but I follow Serie A and it's pretty obvious they've had a massive injury crisis and that he hasn't been allowed spend any money whatsoever. He should've done better but they have two games in hand and if they won both they'd be six points behind the leaders Milan

Lets not let the reality of the situation get in the way of a good Rafa-bashing.

Not adding depth to the squad last summer was frankly stupid. Now, even if they had, the extent of their injuries would have meant they'd still have been in a bit of trouble, but at least they mightn't have been forced into playing kids, particularly in centre mid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

we watched liverpool become the top seeded team in european football, we saw two european cup finals

Being the top team in Europe without ever being the top team in England, some achievement.
    we saw the highest points total in 20 years

During a season in which the gap between the best and worst teams was the largest in PL history.
    we saw CL qualification with ease every year

Apart from the two years where you didn't finish in the top 4 at all, although you had UEFA change their rules to suit you one of those times.
    we finished above arsenal half the years Rafa was there

Well done on being one of the biggest-spending clubs in the world, and finishing ahead of one of the PL's few profit-making clubs "half the time".
    how does a manage achieve all this if he is only a bluffer and a poor manager.

I dunno, you're right, he must clearly be some kind of super-genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭mixed up

I support liverpool but we saw cl qualifaction with ease every year? no we didn't we wouldn't of been in the champions league only due to winning it the previous year they changed the rules to let liverpool defend the cup as we didn't finish in the top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

mixed up wrote: »
    I support liverpool but we saw cl qualifaction with ease every year? no we didn't we wouldn't of been in the champions league only due to winning it the previous year they changed the rules to let liverpool defend the cup as we didn't finish in the top 4.

Yeah, what a disaster of a season that was! Only a European Cup to show for ourselves...

Yeah, what a disaster of a season that was! Only a European Cup to show for ourselves...

I never said it was a bad season you thick **** i said liverpool didn't qualify for the champions league by finishing in the top 4 so if you're going to quote me get it right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,153 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I never said it was a bad season you thick **** i said liverpool didn't qualify for the champions league by finishing in the top 4 so if you're going to quote me get it right.

calm-down.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I smell a mod warning coming....

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    calm-down.jpg

Lol but i don't feel the best after been on the beer all day yesterday and then you get a clown trying to be smart when i was only pointing out the facts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Anyone else think Rafa Benitez is engineering his exit, while getting a pay off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Wtf has that got to do with him now? Seriously. No point in trying to have a discussion.

On Roy and Rafa, please explain based on this season why Roy has to go and Rafa deserves to stay?
    It's everything to do with it. Is Wenger a crap manager now?
    BTW this site is for discussion of football related matters so what do you mean by " No point in trying to have a discussion ".

On your second point even a child could see Hodgson has a brutal record in terms of cups won, Rafa does'nt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Lol but i don't feel the best after been on the beer all day yesterday and then you get a clown trying to be smart when i was only pointing out the facts

Oh, you poor thing.

For what it's worth, I was pointing out the nonsense of your pedantry, as you complained about only finishing 5th one year in response to a point about how much success and consistency we had during Rafa's time at the club.

But hey, screw you poopie-head.

Now I remember why I avoid the EPL threads.

I'm sorry I brought it up, can we get back to talking about Inter now please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

mike65 wrote: »
    Anyone else think Rafa Benitez is engineering his exit, while getting a pay off?

Along with his Liverpool payoff?

Whats he going to do?

Buy a football club?.....................

Oh, you poor thing.

For what it's worth, I was pointing out the nonsense of your pedantry, as you complained about only finishing 5th one year in response to a point about how much success and consistency we had during Rafa's time at the club.

But hey, screw you poopie-head.

I was pointing out liverpool didn't qualify for the champion league ever year which is what i replied to but you were just trying to be smart you retard

I was pointing out liverpool didn't qualify for the champion league ever year which is what i replied to but you were just trying to be smart you retard

No-one cares. Seriously. The super threads were established so the rest of us could be spared this sort of tedium

• Advertisement
Advertisement