Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Benitez Sacked?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

flahavaj wrote: »
    He really should have taken a break from football after he left Liverpool. He was under huge strain in the last few years at the club, compare a photo of him when he joined them and when he left them and you can see the toll it had on him. The last thing he needed was to go taking a job at Inter where he was in a no win situation - if he did well people would just say it was Jose's team, if he didn't deliver immediate success he was out the door. Anyone trying to follow in Jose's footsteps is in trouble right from the start.

This is bang on. In addition to this I doubt that Mourinho would have been so quick to head for pastures new if he thought that this Inter team was still on the rise - he saw that this team would struggle to emulate last year's achievements so he was open to the Real offer.

Benitez needed a break of a season and then get back into management when he had a chance to reflect on what went wrong at Anfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

niallo27 wrote: »
    Can I give you back keane palacios and bent for 35 million, crouch bassong and pavelochoko or whatever his name is or hardly huge success for another 30 million

again wrong niallo , we gonna get our money back for Bent (10m up front rising to 16m with appearances) , as for keano sure didnt benitez give us a chuck of money when buying and selling him ( net spend an all that!)

Mr Levy rarely does a bad deal except for davy bentley:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Liam O wrote: »
    Wenger makes money because he buys good players, unfortunately they just don't like England, or want to break the Arsenal wage structure because they get big heads. If player power wasn't such a factor Arsenal would still have Cole and Flamini at least who would improve them greatly. Rafa loses money while still not getting the results in the league, he's a cup manager tbh.

this
    So Wenger get's a pass because he can't keep his players happy. BTW when is Wengers last cup or trophy of any description?

If Rafas a cup manager how do you account for the La Liga titles? Don't tell me he's a "lucky manager" now.

Can I give you back keane palacios and bent for 35 million, crouch bassong and pavelochoko or whatever his name is or hardly huge success for another 30 million

Keane - played a big part in keeping us up when he returned
    Palacios - as above plus he was an outstanding for the first half of last season. I'll give him a chance to come good again given his personal trauma of earlier in the year.
    Crouch - played well last season and got the goal that secured Champion's League football
    Bassong - winner against Liverpool on his debut - the first nail in Benitez' Anfield coffin?
    Pavlyuchenko - frustrating player but he gets goals.

Sorry for replying to an off-topic post but I had to defend 'Arry.

Edit: Bent - didn't really work out at Spurs, he was not a Redknapp signing and we recouped most of what he cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

BERBA wrote: »
    again wrong niallo , we gonna get our money back for Bent (10m up front rising to 16m with appearances) , as for keano sure didnt benitez give us a chuck of money when buying and selling him ( net spend an all that!)

Mr Levy rarely does a bad deal except for davy bentley:(

Sure couldn't I say the same, 12 million was the fee for keane but some of the orginal transfer hadn't being paid yet, so maybe that's a 2 or 3 million loss, babel was 12 million he is a young player, Birmingham offered 9 million last year for him, aqua is a young player, 10 million was paid so far, juve will buy him, probaly 5 or million loss there, what's 10 or 11 wasted, how much did palacis cost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

The way Hodgson let Aquilani go was more bizarre than Rafa signing him.

Rafa signing him and not playing him is pretty bizarre too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭doc_17

Wonder how long it'll be be before another team other than Barcelona or real Madrid win la liga? He's not a lucky manager. His eye for players is not brilliant but as a coach he is one of the best out there.

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Keane - played a big part in keeping us up when he returned
    Palacios - as above plus he was an outstanding for the first half of last season. I'll give him a chance to come good again given his personal trauma of earlier in the year.
    Crouch - played well last season and got the goal that secured Champion's League football
    Bassong - winner against Liverpool on his debut - the first nail in Benitez' Anfield coffin?
    Pavlyuchenko - frustrating player but he gets goals.

Sorry for replying to an off-topic post but I had to defend 'Arry.

Edit: Bent - didn't really work out at Spurs, he was not a Redknapp signing and we recouped most of what he cost.

I wasn't having a go at Harry I was just pointing that every manager makes mistakes, Harry is supposed to be the best out there and he has wasted money

doc_17 wrote: »
    Wonder how long it'll be be before another team other than Barcelona or real Madrid win la liga? He's not a lucky manager. His eye for players is not brilliant but as a coach he is one of the best out there.

Some people see what they want to see.

Haters gonna hate etc

rarnes1 wrote: »

Haters gonna hate etc

suggest taking off those big red goggles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Haters gonna hate etc

And some people appear blind to what's obvious to others.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭thebullkf

suggest taking off those big red goggles

nice try :rolleyes: ..... again;)

I wasn't having a go at Harry I was just pointing that every manager makes mistakes, Harry is supposed to be the best out there and he has wasted money

Fair enough, I would say that Benitez had a lot of poor signings at Liverpool but he also had a lot of very good signings too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Fair enough, I would say that Benitez had a lot of poor signings at Liverpool but he also had a lot of very good signings too.

Hit and miss would sum up his transfer dealings I think. But in fairness no manager gets it right all the time. Even Ferguson has fcuked up a few times, the likes of Eric Djemba Djemba springs to mind (unbelievably Sir Alex actually thought Djemba would take on Keane's role). So overall he didn't do too bad all considered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

He also turned an average liverpool side into european champions

If Benitez was so great, winning the champions league in his first season, how come he was unable to win the premier league in six years ?
    The European cup victory, great as it was, is no more than a good cup run

If Benitez was so great, winning the champions league in his first season, how come he was unable to win the premier league in six years ?

Do you realise how hard it is to win the premier league, only 3 teams have done it in 15 years, he came close once, tell wenger or abramhavic that winning the European cup is just a good cup run

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

Question, if he hadn't won the Champs League, how long do you think he would have been kept on for. Would he have lasted as long at the helm?

Question, if he hadn't won the Champs League, how long do you think he would have been kept on for. Would he have lasted as long at the helm?

Yes of course he would, when would you have sacked him.
    2006 cl qualification and fa cup
    2007 cl qualification another European cup final
    2008 cl qualification 3rd place making progress
    2009 cl qualification 2nd place highest pts total 20 years

which year would you pick

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

He did win it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Hadn't checked this thread since page one. It's progressed nicely :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I always thought Rafa was mad taking on the Inter job. He always on a hiding to nothing there. Law of averages suggest Inter are not gonna win the league. He had it all to lose and nothing to gain.

He should have tried for the Milan job. All to gain and nothing to lose!

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

Yes of course he would, when would you have sacked him.
    2006 cl qualification and fa cup
    2007 cl qualification another European cup final
    2008 cl qualification 3rd place making progress
    2009 cl qualification 2nd place highest pts total 20 years

which year would you pick

Suppose his time ran down eventually but yeah, can see how he was kept on.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭bookie basher

back to spain for rafa me thinks, atletico madrids quique flores is under a bit of pressure after a few dodgy results and sevilla are on a dodgy run as well, who knows he might end up at one of those clubs, rafas man management skills are his downfall imo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

back to spain for rafa me thinks, atletico madrids quique flores is under a bit of pressure after a few dodgy results and sevilla are on a dodgy run as well, who knows he might end up at one of those clubs, rafas man management skills are his downfall imo

I hope not. Atletico have been one of my favourite teams to watch for years now. Rafa would suck all the fun out of them.

Look how far Liverpool have progressed since Rafa left!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Thread just doesn't feel right when its not called "Are Rafa and Inter Done?"

monkey9 wrote: »

looking like blackpool aren't gonna get the chance to do the double on pool next sunday , game in doubt by all accounts

looking like blackpool aren't gonna get the chance to do the double on pool next sunday , game in doubt by all accounts

Who exactly are you looking to take over once Harry goes to take up the England job.
    Haha Berba, you're digging your own grave. I just hope you're man enough to take your own medicine. Don't worry Berba, we know we're to find ya!!

Who exactly are you looking to take over once Harry goes to take up the England job.
    Haha Berba, you're digging your own grave. I just hope you're man enough to take your own medicine. Don't worry Berba, we know we're to find ya!!

monkey dont jinx it , anyone but the spaniard , think we've learned our lesson in employing spanish coaches to be honest , well i hope we have

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

That happened last year when he was there. He started the downfall.

monkey dont jinx it , anyone but the spaniard , think we've learned our lesson in employing spanish coaches to be honest , well i hope we have

Yeah, your one was sh!te alright. Our one won us a European Cup and an FA Cup.

How's Harry doing??

Well the last 4 clubs old arry has managed have gone bust, so here's hoping he'll make it 5 out of 5:)

SantryRed wrote: »
    That happened last year when he was there. He started the downfall.

As i said, he won us an FA Cup and a European Cup. I remember the 90's. I'm also lucky enough to remember two league titles.

Trust me, Rafa was alright!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

If he is such a bad manager and his buys were so crap, how did he get to 2 CL finals, 3 Semi Finals and 4 Quarter Finals, makes no sense to say it's luck.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    If he is such a bad manager and his buys were so crap, how did he get to 2 CL finals, 3 Semi Finals and 4 Quarter Finals, makes no sense to say it's luck.

The fact that they're all so obsessed by Rafa says it all!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭cantgetright

The evidence is there that he's a good coach but looks to always have a beef with his employers. Last one (obviously) and Inter

The evidence is there that he's a good coach but looks to always have a beef with his employers. Last one (obviously) and Inter

So f*cking what!! Seriously, so what!! I still support Rafa on that. He gave us our greatest European nights!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭cantgetright

So f*cking what!! Seriously, so what!! I still support Rafa on that. He gave us our greatest European nights!!!!

Of course Rafa was right on H&G and while he was at LFC gave myself one of the best pool memories i have but i still think imo he gets to much of a chip with people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Think that's it. The informed opinion seems to be he is an excellent coach, but not the best at spotting talent. How he got the best out of Gerrard and Kuyt, as well as Carra shows that.

As for talent, well he bought Torres which was seen as risky, bought Alonso (whatever about why he left, great buy), Masch, Reina, Crouch, Bellamy (showed himself the door), Garcia (infuriating but some important goals), Sisoko (unlucky with the injury), Arbeloa, Lucas (coming on nicely), Agger, Skyrtel and Benny, all decent to fantastic signings.

Most of his crap signings before the Summer of 08 were cheap or risky, barring Morrientes, Babel and Pennant, though that can happen with any manager. 2 of those were young players and it often happens they just don't deliver, often nothing the manager can do.

From the Summer of 08 everything went down hill, partly Rafa, partly the owners. Johnson was too expensive though the Portsmouth situation makes it cheaper and Rafa thought he had a bigger budget. Acquilani was supposed to be fit in September, looks like he just needed time, think he was unlucky there. Dossena, Riera and Keane, the less said the better.

Funny enough his 2 best signings in that time were Kyriakos and Maxi, cheap and a free.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

As i said, he won us an FA Cup and a European Cup. I remember the 90's. I'm also lucky enough to remember two league titles.

Trust me, Rafa was alright!!

:confused:

So what if he was alright? If he was in charge now he'd be at roughly the same points as Hodgson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

SantryRed wrote: »
    :confused:

So what if he was alright? If he was in charge now he'd be at roughly the same points as Hodgson.

Football is too unpredictable to make such a statement....

Garbage post IMO

If Alex Ferguson is so great (IMO is one of if not the best English League Manager of all time) how come he managed to win 2 European cups in 25 years at united yet won 11 EPL Titles.....

So...................do you see how little sense your post makes....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭dizzywizlw

Winning a league and winning a cup in professional football are so different it might as well be seen as two different things.

The fact is that Benitez can masterfully craft the odd game, or small string of games but doesn't have the bottle to sustain a 38 game challenge.

With Inter he inherited one of their best teams in years, and has systematically dragged them down.

Signing of 2010/11 - Rafael Benitez - Juventus,Milan,Lazio,Napoli.

dizzywizlw wrote: »
    Winning a league and winning a cup in professional football are so different it might as well be seen as two different things.

The fact is that Benitez can masterfully craft the odd game, or small string of games but doesn't have the bottle to sustain a 38 game challenge.

You are aware that Benitez won 2 La Liga titles with Valencia yes?
    So you dont really have a point there do you?

He also did challenge for the EPL when Liverpool came second on 86 points behind ManUs 90......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

no matter how $hit RaFa is he is a religion to some people like that scientology bollocks you hear about.

Im surprised he does not have some cult religious fan group somewhere....

any logo suggestions?

no matter how $hit RaFa is he is a religion to some people like that scientology bollocks you hear about.

any logo suggestions?

If your refering to me then you'll find plenty of quotes on how i feel about Rafa Benitez in the Liverpool Thread. I'm not a big fan. But to discount what he has done is complete ignorence on your part. If you disagree with any of my posts here then please pull me up on them.

Benitez is ****? Why exactly. Because he didnt win the league with Liverpool? Because he's getting poor results after half a season at Inter. He has an excellent managerial record up until last Season IMO. Can you list the reasons? Naw lets just say he's **** shall we :rolleyes:

any logo suggestions?

Extremely bitter post.

I can actually taste the lemon oozing out of the monitor.

If your refering to me then you'll find plenty of quotes on how i feel about Rafa Benitez in the Liverpool Thread. I'm not a big fan. But to discount what he has done is complete ignorence on your part. If you disagree with any of my posts here then please pull me up on them.

Benitez is ****? Why exactly. Because he didnt win the league with Liverpool? Because he's getting poor results after half a season at Inter. He has an excellent managerial record up until last Season IMO. Can you list the reasons? Naw lets just say he's **** shall we :rolleyes:

Inter are about 50 points off the pace from the top :rolleyes:, they won 4 trophys last year, and this year.....

they have won 1 trophy against a team from the congo basin or something,but whatever.

he has practically zero man management skills, fails to get the best out of players. Look at the players at inter, gone to pot :rolleyes:

if he was not as obese as he is maybe people would take him more serious.

but yeah, he is a really good manager alright

Extremely bitter post.

I can actually taste the lemon oozing out of the monitor.

the zest just hit my eye there, stings like hell....

bitter about what, Rafa is a mumbling goon no matter what way you look at it.

one cl trophy under the pool and a era of gold frame encrused portraits of the man himself on the cop end doesnt make him a good manager

but carry on

Inter are about 50 points off the pace from the top :rolleyes:, they won 4 trophys last year, and this year.....

they have won 1 trophy against a team from the congo basin or something,but whatever.

he has practically zero man management skills, fails to get the best out of players. Look at the players at inter, gone to pot :rolleyes:

if he was not as obese as he is maybe people would take him more serious.

but yeah, he is a really good manager alright

Showing yourself up there.......horrible stuff
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement